PDA

View Full Version : holeshot mxs...

Tommy 17
01-22-2002, 08:24 PM
i have 3 questions to ask u guys....

1. whats the differnce between 19 and 20 inch front holeshot mxs... do they handle differnt or sumtin... i am lost...

2. do they now make a rear tire in the size of 18x11x9 thats what the one mag i have says but i have never seen this size b4... if so will this work just as good as the 8 inch rims size....

3. how long do the tires last do they wear fast....

thanks guys.... TOMMY

opps i forgot to say this is on page 75 in the jan 02 dirt wheels mag... anyone know how much these will cost i am guessin 50$ like the rest...

400exRacerX
01-22-2002, 08:52 PM
Holeshot makes a mx tire? Man were have I been?

01-22-2002, 08:53 PM
i am not sure but i think the diference between 19 and 20's would be handleing.... the 19's would handle better in my opinion because of less side wall flex.... i rode a set that werte almost bald and i liked em.....but it was very hard packed...i'm not sure about the rear....hope i helped toby

Clay
01-22-2002, 10:16 PM
I run the Holeshot MX's all the way around my quad. I have no complaints, they handle awesome. Well i take that back, i do have one complaint. They wear quickly. Mine have one season on them, and they are needing replaced soon. I would highly reccomend them though!!

01-23-2002, 12:15 PM
I think you'd be better off runnin some blackwaters in the rear and grooved radials up front,,:D

Ok Ok,,ITP mx tires are great tires but will wear down on hard pack surfaces,,I ran them all last year and they did get some wear,,but I'm just gonna switch rear tires around so the rounded off part is in the opposite direction this year. And for the fronts they wore faster than the rears,,still got plenty of use out of them but I'm gonna see about usin a set of grooved radials, chris29 has layin around for a few months and see if I like them better..

01-23-2002, 12:55 PM
A taller front tire tracks better over rough terrain and steers easier.

Negatives are more sidewall flex and higher center of gravity.

trx400ex
01-23-2002, 01:31 PM
alot of people were complaining about how harsh and poor handling the 19 inch was,,,,i would def get the 20s

Tommy 17
01-23-2002, 02:11 PM
kool i will get holeshot mxs 20 inch front ....

noone else has heard of the 18x11x9 tires though... i would really like this bc i can run stock radials in the rear then and i will be able to go good in the snow months and holeshots for racing...:huh :huh

Evan
01-23-2002, 03:29 PM
well according to ITPs website they dont have them in 9s but according to Rocky MT they have the 9s in stock so if ya want em go order em. I ordered the 10 b/c thats all the had and ordered the 10 inch carbonfiber beadlocks so I will see how they handle, should make a cool look b/c they will look like low profile tires.

Giz400ex
01-23-2002, 06:46 PM
To me the ITP's (mx) are a good tire, they hook-up good but they do wear down fast. So if your looking for a mx tire I would go with the turf tamers (legendary). They also wear down fast too but not as fast as the holeshot's mx's. For the fronts, HIGHLY recommend the radials!! I've had mine for a year now and they've held up great.

Mity Mo
01-23-2002, 08:27 PM
I change my turf tamers on the rear every 3rd race. I find it hard to believe that you guys get all year on a set of rears. You either have very soft dirt or you dont race much. I cant get more than 3 races because my tires spin out of control on the starts and cornering. Plus with newer tires I can dive in on someone and take positions away if needed. I do recommend the 20 in tall mx fronts. They are really nice and you dont give up much ground clearance. The rear mx holeshot tire is a good all around tire especially for heavy watered tracks. But in my opinion the Turf tamer rear is still #1. Just my opinion though. Mo;)

400exRacerX
01-23-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Mity Mo
I change my turf tamers on the rear every 3rd race. I find it hard to believe that you guys get all year on a set of rears. You either have very soft dirt or you dont race much. I cant get more than 3 races because my tires spin out of control on the starts and cornering. Plus with newer tires I can dive in on someone and take positions away if needed. I do recommend the 20 in tall mx fronts. They are really nice and you dont give up much ground clearance. The rear mx holeshot tire is a good all around tire especially for heavy watered tracks. But in my opinion the Turf tamer rear is still #1. Just my opinion though. Mo;)

Everyone thought I was crazy when I said I went through a set of rear tires in 3-4 races. Now maybe they will understand better.

400MXer
01-23-2002, 09:03 PM
They make holeshot MX's for a 9" rim......ITP just hasn't updated there site since they first released the MX's.

Rico-the grooved radial will never wear out....they last forever. BUT, i think the MX's grab better, and they are deffinetly better for tracks with sticky dirt or mud. Those radials get caked and it's near impossible to turn.

I would like to try some grooved turf tamers for my next set of rears.

01-24-2002, 10:22 AM
Hey Mo,,do you groove the rear turfs??? I've heard that grooving them helps a bunch but you have to replace them alot more often??

Mity Mo
01-24-2002, 10:50 AM
Rico, Yeah I do groove mine. I think that works the best. I have tried racing on non grooved but I feel I have a little more side bite and control with them grooved. You do end up replacing them more often but in the long run I fel that this way is the best, at least for me it is. i have seen where some of the guys I ride with cant get used to the differences cut turfs makes. So I think its more of a personal taste kind of thing. I will try to get a pic of the style and way I cut my turfs later today. Mo