PDA

View Full Version : CRF 450 vs. 250R

Creech52
08-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Now that I have a job I am contemplating a project, but I dunno wether to build up an R or build a CRF 450 quad. Which is faster, and which is more reliable...I know the 4 stroke will run without maintinence as much as the 2 stroke but Im looking at trail reliability, which is gonna get me out of the woods at the end of the day without having to be towed. Also whats the weight comparison if anyone knows. and I just want some opinions on which is a better trail/race quad.

Diedrich
08-05-2003, 06:09 PM
250r..i've always liked them..they can be really good bikes if u take care of em

86atc250r
08-05-2003, 06:22 PM
With Honda poised to release an OEM TRX450R quad, why on earth would a person go to the time, trouble, and expense to build a 450 quad from scratch?

That would be like going out and getting an XR400 and finding a chassis to modify to fit - doesn't make much sense when you can just go out and buy a 400EX.

Even if Honda were to detune it, it would be far cheaper, likely more reliable, and easier to get parts for the factory one.

If you're looking for reliability and go fast power, wait until September and get a new 450. That way you know you won't be getting someone elses problems with a 15 year old quad (250R).

Troy86250r
08-05-2003, 07:41 PM
If you want a good project go for the 250r. And a well biult 250r will be reliable.

norrisboat
08-05-2003, 08:06 PM
The 450's arent coming out in september. They are only unvailing the looks and specs on sept 10th. It could come out anywhere from november and on.

jerry-89-250R
08-06-2003, 12:47 AM
also there something about building your own, not what everyone else has, either 450f or 250R would be a good choice

wilkin250r
08-06-2003, 03:18 AM
Jokes fly around about 250r owners, because we think the 250r is the best quad for anything. MX, XC, mud, trail riding, dune riding, nothing beats a 250r in anything, they are the best out there.

Did you ever wonder why that is?

Do you think it's just coincidence that SO many people, when they ride a 250r, never want to ride anything else?

Now I'm not going to go so far as to say that the 250r is the absolute best out there for everything, but it's definitely a great quad. I bet that most (not all) that say "It's old technology" or "It's a 15yr old quad, blah blah" have never really spent that much time on one.

I recomend building the 250r. Come to the dark side...

pnut420
08-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Jokes fly around about 250r owners, because we think the 250r is the best quad for anything. MX, XC, mud, trail riding, dune riding, nothing beats a 250r in anything, they are the best out there.

Did you ever wonder why that is?

Do you think it's just coincidence that SO many people, when they ride a 250r, never want to ride anything else?

Now I'm not going to go so far as to say that the 250r is the absolute best out there for everything, but it's definitely a great quad. I bet that most (not all) that say "It's old technology" or "It's a 15yr old quad, blah blah" have never really spent that much time on one.

I recomend building the 250r. Come to the dark side...

Well said. Ive talked to plenty of guys that had both 250r's and 400ex's and when you ask them how they like their R, they say oh the r is so sweet. Also the 400Ex can have just as many problems if not more than than an R it all depends on if you get lucky or not most the time.

I would go with an R, unless you have some seroius $, then I would build the CRF. But if I were to do a project I would do a two stroke 450 motor.

86atc250r
08-06-2003, 05:59 AM
The 15yr old quad comment is not insinuating "old tech" (seems many 250R owners on the web have this stigma), it was however, insinuating that a 15 year old quad is a VERY old machine, especially for a piece of equipment that gets beat on like a quad. As an owner of several late 80's era machines, I can tell you they can be a money pit.

Be careful & know what you're getting into if you decide on building an R. You don't want to end up like a friend of mine that bought a beautiful R only to roach the tranny on the first ride.

If you're looking for a project, I say go with the R. The CRF doesn't make much sense at this point. If considering the CRF, I'd just buy the new quad when it comes out.

You can't beat a 2 stroke engine for weight per unit power output. If you don't get too stupid with the mods, a well built R will be reliable.

R-Crazy
08-06-2003, 06:23 AM
if u want new bike right now without a ot of hassle, i recommend the YFZ450, looks REAL nice. i have an R, i love it and would never have anything else right now, but u do have to put a fair amount of money into it to get everything right. i bought mine for 5 grand and put another 1000 bucks in it when i rebuilt it, and i havent even rode it yet. still waiting on a CDI. but when everything is running right, it will be the best thing u ever bought. hope that helps

dave

08-06-2003, 06:40 AM
after looking over the yfz it made me nervous,i wouldnt build a crf 450 for xc or trail only mx, because those big thumpers run hot and in the woods and muds you wont get the cooling you will on a flat out mx track, if i was you id hold off and buy the new honda or build a 250r if you know what your getting into because there still competitive with anything out there

pnut420
08-06-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by freeride132
after looking over the yfz it made me nervous,i wouldnt build a crf 450 for xc or trail only mx, because those big thumpers run hot and in the woods and muds you wont get the cooling you will on a flat out mx track, if i was you id hold off and buy the new honda or build a 250r if you know what your getting into because there still competitive with anything out there

The CRF450 isnt going to get that hot where it is a problem. I would build a 250R though, because Id rather buid one from the ground up, put +2 a-arms, valve the shocks to my weight, laeger swingarm, +4 axle, 330 ESR motor with the cam and everything matched for my type of riding. I think building a quad to your specs is better than buying a stock one that isnt valved for your weight, still needs exhaust, +2 a-arms, etc.... That get real expensive.

Dave400ex
08-06-2003, 07:17 AM
I don't think there will be any problem with them in the woods. Not everybody buying them will just be using them in the wide open, they will trail ride them, and I'm sure there will be plenty of GNCC guys racing both quads. Honda and Yamaha wouldn't make a quad that can just be rode on MX or in the wide open, because they know that's not where most guys ride.

sleestack68
08-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Build an R, I can't get over how well mine performs and the reliability.

08-06-2003, 12:01 PM
:D get an R
warning;... once ya spend some time on a good one your hooked :D :macho

08-06-2003, 05:06 PM
i was talking about a crf 450 conversion quad not the new honda

Bean
08-06-2003, 05:23 PM
honostly, if you want cheap, reliable, fast, and easy to fix, go with the R, the "old and outdated" tech as some refer to it is just about the easiest motor to work on as far as 4wheelers go. Plus the motors are cheaper, parts can be found easily at the track should you break something, CRF's and YZF's are not the average mans quad, an R is more of an average mans, they are cheaper, you cant really build a cheap CRF, YZF, the motor alone can cost as much as a decent R

pnut420
08-07-2003, 08:50 AM
I find it funny that people say our quads are outdated (400ex or 250r), but it looks to me like Suzuki pretty much used the same frame setup as the 400ex. The stance is alot like and many other things are the same.

The only thing outdated might be the motor, but like you said a 250r is easy to work on. Those thumper motors arent exactly easy to work on and the parts are so expensive. I have a 400ex and if I were to get a secondary quad, it would probably be a 250r, I love the out of the hole response they have, rather than the banshees crazy top end.

08-07-2003, 08:59 AM
i still like my ex more than anything out there, i like the r too but i like 4 strokes the z 400 has a awesome motor but i think the ex is alot nicer

NTPracing22
08-07-2003, 01:37 PM
go with what ever you want-but be ware, if you ride a real nicely done R, you won't settle for anything else.

i got an r that needed work. So i fixed it up and put a lot into it, rebuild the motor completely, even put new cases on. threw on a 265pv and couldn't be happier.

go 2 strokes, you'll love it

08-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by NTPracing22
be ware, if you ride a real nicely done R, you won't settle for anything else.

go 2 strokes, you'll love it

aint it the truth :macho

punker69q
08-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
330 ESR motor with the cam and everything matched for my type of riding.

I just want to tell you that their is no camshaft on a 2 strokes, only ports that the piston open and close, except if it's a PV of course.

I'm not bashing you, just helping you a little, you will look kinda dumb if you call esr and you say that you want a camshaft for your 250r...:blah: ;) !!!

honda400exrider
08-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Haha I was goign to point that one out. BTW while on servicehonda, they said they sold 250rs? Is this just junk chassis with cr250 motors or is it close to the real thing?

Creech52
08-10-2003, 08:03 AM
The service honda 250R is a 400EX frame with the CR motor.

norcalatver
08-10-2003, 03:30 PM
I have owned a 250R since 1986. I sold it recently to a good friend of mine. I ride the woods about 75% percent of the time. The R was great but after modding my 400 its just as good as the R. I don't know about where you ride, but where I ride I was always limited to how far I could ride on the R because of fuel consumption. Whenever I ride in the woods with someone on a 2 stroke, we have to turn around after about 25 miles because they run out of gas at about 50 -60 miles. Where I ride we can go as far as a tank of gas will take you. Fuel economy is the #1 reason I wouldn't have a 2 stroke for the woods.

bmw500hp
08-10-2003, 06:00 PM
hey norcal...how about a little info on how the big stroker does in the woods as opposed to the smaller motors..I am real interested in how it can pull out of a lug in 3rd etc..and how does on the steeps..thnx..;)

pnut420
08-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by punker69q
I just want to tell you that their is no camshaft on a 2 strokes, only ports that the piston open and close, except if it's a PV of course.

I'm not bashing you, just helping you a little, you will look kinda dumb if you call esr and you say that you want a camshaft for your 250r...:blah: ;) !!!

Late night posting owns me. I meant I done up 465 4 stroke with matched cams, etc.... Or a 330 ESR motor with the mods you want. But thanks for correcting me. :p

raptor_02
08-11-2003, 06:37 AM
the best thing you could do is go ahead and buy a yfz450 or wait for honda and see what they come out with. Don't waste your money building a crf when you can buy one for alot cheaper. The worst thing you could do in my opinion is buy a 250r. Why spend 4000 bucks for a 15 year old quad that isn't half as good as the yfz?? The yfz to me is the ultimate package at a good price. It's faster than an R, better suspended, and will be alot less work.

sleestack68
08-11-2003, 07:36 AM
I don't know about that, when everything is said and done I've paid about $6000 for my R and it will run circles around a YFZ.

As for reliability, I went out riding with a bunch of people this weekend, a bunch of raptors, banshees and 400ex. When the trails got tight a raptor and a banshee overheated, another raptor had to be towed back because it blew the carbs off and a 400ex's battery died and wouldn't start. None of these bikes were older than 2001.

My old R just kept going tossing a sh*tload of roost without a worry in the world.

The fuel economy is the only think that could hold you back.

wilkin250r
08-11-2003, 10:15 AM
join the dark side...

norcalatver
08-11-2003, 01:09 PM
BMW500hp, I have only ridden my quad 3 times since the 493 kit. Once for about an hour in the dirt to break it in, and the 2 other times were in the sand. Here in Ca. it's 90+ degrees each day so I don't get to ride on the trails much in the summer. As far as lugging the motor in 3rd gear, the sand is definitely the hardest h.p. robbing surface. Since the 493, I rarely use 1st,(not even to take off at a dead start), and it has enough torque to start in 3rd gear. I was actually drag racing @ pismo and beating people taking off in 3rd. Don't get me wrong, that was not the proper gear, and the other people would holeshot me off the line, I was just playing with my motor to get a feel for its power. I love the power it has, and each time I ride I learn how to use it more efficiently.

atvracer11
12-18-2003, 06:18 AM
I agree with sleestack68. Either on the track or on the trails I've had no problems with my R. On the track I have no problem out pulling them other quads. My 250r might be old but it still runs alot stronger then most of them quads.