PDA

View Full Version : Dune Fest Idiots

JOEX
08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Do people really think they get away with doing stuff like this?

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/1060085105325390.xml?oregonian?nwg

Police record 108 arrests at Winchester Bay event

08/05/03

WINCHESTER BAY -- More than 100 people were arrested this weekend at the annual Dune Fest in Winchester Bay. Officers recorded 108 arrests Thursday through Sunday at the sand drag races, according to the Douglas County sheriff's office.

Drug, alcohol and traffic offenses topped the list of citations. Douglas County Commissioner Dan Van Slyke said officers took a no-tolerance view of violations this year. Alcohol was banned from the beach.

Last year, police logged 73 arrests. Sheriff's spokeswoman Pam Frank said the increase was because of more aggressive enforcement, not necessarily rowdier people.

Officers issued one citation for cocaine possession, 11 misdemeanor citations for marijuana possession and 70 citations for minors in possession of alcohol. They also cited one person for attempting to elude police and another for reckless driving. Twelve people were cited for driving while suspended, 10 for driving under the influence of intoxicants.

Twenty-two people had their vehicles impounded, and six were involved in traffic accidents. Police responded to 32 fights. They issued 54 traffic citations and 175 traffic warnings. Officers also took two reports of stolen all-terrain vehicles, conducted 52 interrogations and investigated five thefts.

One person was cited for criminal mischief for damaging a patrol car, and three were cited for parole or probation violations. Officers cited one person for carrying a concealed handgun and another for hit-and-run.

oldsandman
08-05-2003, 05:28 PM
What a mess!

Police responded to 32 fights. They issued 54 traffic citations and 175 traffic warnings. Officers also took two reports of stolen all-terrain vehicles, conducted 52 interrogations and investigated five thefts.

I'm glad I went to st. anthonys!

own2424
08-05-2003, 05:47 PM
That is totally sad how families gather together to have fun and ride, while these idiots show up to just ruin everything. Stealing ATVs is NOT FUNNY !!!!!

toby400ex
08-05-2003, 06:51 PM
WOW, what a party

QuadJunkies
08-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Im thinkin Im gonna stay clear of Dunefest next summer and ride somewhere else with all that craziness......:confused2 This was ?Dunefest they were talking about right? I am coming down next summer and all the nutballs can stay there.Ill go to Flroence that week......:ermm:

XANDADA
08-06-2003, 02:04 AM
rediculous, there just gonna end up cancelling the events and ruin it for everyone. 32 fights & 10 DUI's (that they caught) Who wants to bring the family to that crap:mad:

Deathbringer
08-06-2003, 03:42 AM
The Deathman was there. Yes it was a mess, and they left out the part where the cop pounded on the drunk or stoned dude :eek2: ...I think they(town) might put a hold on any future events. They were talking about it last year, but after this year..arggggg.

I understand and can appreciate people wanting to party and rightly so, but at a ceertain point it is just out of control and needs to have some rules.
Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

QuadJunkies
08-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
rediculous, there just gonna end up cancelling the events and ruin it for everyone. 32 fights & 10 DUI's (that they caught) Who wants to bring the family to that crap:mad: exactly.....Maybe they should call it "drunkfest" instead:rolleyes:

MNTNMAN
08-06-2003, 06:31 AM
It used to be a lot of fun. Once it was in all the magazines it went down hill. Too many people. The same thing will happen to Dune Fest as what happened to the Foster Mud Flats. All the attention ruined it too.

out4sand
08-06-2003, 07:09 AM
I have to ask; were any of you at Dunefest this year???

I went and was camped in Sand Camping area C from Wednesday to Sunday and it was the mellowest I have ever seen the dunes. Most folks were in bed or at least in their trailers by 11pm, in our camp and I didn't really hear many people riding around other then on Saturday night. I think they (the event folks) totally over enforced everything to the point of removing the fun from what could be a great event. I can totally understand why the city, chamber of commerce, forest service, and law enforcement did not want a repeat of the FullBore party but they went to far. As an example they shut down any type of open racing on the flats like we've all seen at Florence, Coos, or Sand Lake where it'll go all day and into the night.

As for those that said they would ride elsewhere that weekend I think you will encounter more of the fools then if you actually stayed at Dunefest. The only reason so many tickets were issued was because there were about 2 security/police officers for every one person at Dunefest and they were pulling anyone over that was driving a car after dark.

FullBore rented a house on Houser road from what I hear to throw the party and I know that Box car was going off with a huge fire as the guys camped next to us went there for 2 nights to party. Many of the people who had tried to sneak booze into the event but were caught headed for Florence because they had more money in booze then the entry fee to DuneFest. So if you were looking for BoozeFest it would have been found at Florence or Coos that weekend.

Str8Wicked
08-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Sounds like a good time to me....

oldsandman
08-06-2003, 08:21 AM
I stated I was not there...I'm glad your area was mellow and glad you had a good time but 108 arrest's !?! How much longer will dunefest continue at that rate?

JabberJaw
08-06-2003, 08:26 AM
I am interested in the topless chicks, were there any of those there?

Str8Wicked
08-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaw

Like the article said. It's not that everyone got more roudy than usual, the cops were just more strict on everyone.

Just like Glamis this past year, where there was more arrest and citations given, but less people got hurt and less violence occured than previous years.

It won't go no where..... Look it how they closed down comp hill on holiday weekends at Glamsi after dark... Did it stop everyone, hellll no... Everypne just scooted over to Olds instead of comp.... and actually it helped out since it is harder for the idiots that just came to party to make it into Olds with there 2 wheel drive stock rides which they don't even airdown since they have no idea what to do except get drunk....

JOEX
08-06-2003, 04:17 PM
This may be a good thing in the long run if they continue to have strict enforcement of the laws. It will slowly become a more family oriented event as those that just want to party will go elsewhere.

I still don't understand why people seem to think they can get away with doing stupid chit like that at any large event.

But then again, I might be living in a fantasy world....

Joe

QuadJunkies
08-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by out4sand
I have to ask; were any of you at Dunefest this year???

I went and was camped in Sand Camping area C from Wednesday to Sunday and it was the mellowest I have ever seen the dunes. Most folks were in bed or at least in their trailers by 11pm, in our camp and I didn't really hear many people riding around other then on Saturday night. I think they (the event folks) totally over enforced everything to the point of removing the fun from what could be a great event. I can totally understand why the city, chamber of commerce, forest service, and law enforcement did not want a repeat of the FullBore party but they went to far. As an example they shut down any type of open racing on the flats like we've all seen at Florence, Coos, or Sand Lake where it'll go all day and into the night.

As for those that said they would ride elsewhere that weekend I think you will encounter more of the fools then if you actually stayed at Dunefest. The only reason so many tickets were issued was because there were about 2 security/police officers for every one person at Dunefest and they were pulling anyone over that was driving a car after dark.

FullBore rented a house on Houser road from what I hear to throw the party and I know that Box car was going off with a huge fire as the guys camped next to us went there for 2 nights to party. Many of the people who had tried to sneak booze into the event but were caught headed for Florence because they had more money in booze then the entry fee to DuneFest. So if you were looking for BoozeFest it would have been found at Florence or Coos that weekend. So how big was the group you went with?You have a good time of riding???? Im so ready to ride this wk end it isnt even funny!:cool: I havent rode since the week we all went....:( threee days of local riding coming up......:D

out4sand
08-07-2003, 05:55 AM
oldsandman
I stated I was not there

I wasn't in any way trying to flame you or anyone in any way at all. It just surprised me how some of people talk about an event like this that were not there. While talking with the some folks from the ASDA they were told that roughly 15,000 to 20,000 people were expected to attend the event at some point over the weekend. With that number, 108 arrests (while still a very large number) is less then 1% of the total amount of people there..even if you take a very conservative number like 10,000 your just over 1%. Plus, I guarantee that if the cops would have been out in that kind of force at even just Boxcar over the 4th of July weekend at Coos Bay they would have had 4 to 5 times that amount of citations & arrests.

With that said, I agree totally with everyone on no need for idiots/fools in the dunes or people that just go to party that don't have any reason to be there otherwise but the arrest numbers are honestly a bit unrealistic in relation to any other weekends in the dunes that I've been to because of how strict the police were being.

JabberJaw

The only topless chick we saw was Saturday morning at the gas station. A gal in the hotel next to the station gave us a bit of a show in her window while our gas was being pumped.... :confused2

QuadJunkies
So how big was the group you went with?You have a good time of riding????

I went with a pretty small group this time. I drove 4 guys down with 6 bikes and another guy & gal followed in her truck with a bike. One of my buddies won 1st in the Honda Ho-Down stock class, he was rather excited about that :D I've had a couple trips in since we went to St. A's. I rode Sand Lake one weekend and then Dune Fest. I don't think I'll be able to swing another trip until Labor Day though; my pocket book is starting to feel all the riding trips I've packed in this summer. On another note, I'll be in Boise the 12th & 13th to do some finish up work

QuadJunkies
08-07-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by out4sand
oldsandman

I wasn't in any way trying to flame you or anyone in any way at all. It just surprised me how some of people talk about an event like this that were not there. While talking with the some folks from the ASDA they were told that roughly 15,000 to 20,000 people were expected to attend the event at some point over the weekend. With that number, 108 arrests (while still a very large number) is less then 1% of the total amount of people there..even if you take a very conservative number like 10,000 your just over 1%. Plus, I guarantee that if the cops would have been out in that kind of force at even just Boxcar over the 4th of July weekend at Coos Bay they would have had 4 to 5 times that amount of citations & arrests.

With that said, I agree totally with everyone on no need for idiots/fools in the dunes or people that just go to party that don't have any reason to be there otherwise but the arrest numbers are honestly a bit unrealistic in relation to any other weekends in the dunes that I've been to because of how strict the police were being.

JabberJaw

The only topless chick we saw was Saturday morning at the gas station. A gal in the hotel next to the station gave us a bit of a show in her window while our gas was being pumped.... :confused2

QuadJunkies

I went with a pretty small group this time. I drove 4 guys down with 6 bikes and another guy & gal followed in her truck with a bike. One of my buddies won 1st in the Honda Ho-Down stock class, he was rather excited about that :D I've had a couple trips in since we went to St. A's. I rode Sand Lake one weekend and then Dune Fest. I don't think I'll be able to swing another trip until Labor Day though; my pocket book is starting to feel all the riding trips I've packed in this summer. On another note, I'll be in Boise the 12th & 13th to do some finish up work I know what ya mean about the pocket book crunch...:confused2 if you have time to stop by,please do and maybe we will have dinner and a few beers if ya like...:) give me a buzz first and Ill let you know if I have to work......

Dune Surfer
08-07-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
exactly.....Maybe they should call it "drunkfest" instead:rolleyes:

hey, I resemble that remark

QuadJunkies
08-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
hey, I resemble that remark LOL!!!!!!:p

Dextreme
08-08-2003, 10:25 AM
my pocket book is starting to feel all the riding trips I've packed in this summer

Banks need to create a special Visa/Mastercard for us Duners... No summer payments. :p

Narly R
08-10-2003, 06:15 AM
Ya it was crazy, but really all in all it was AWSOME! Ill defentl go next year!:devil:

QuadJunkies
08-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Dextreme
Banks need to create a special Visa/Mastercard for us Duners... No summer payments. :p Now...thats a heck of an idea!!!!!!:blah:

PerrySoCal
08-12-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Dextreme
Banks need to create a special Visa/Mastercard for us Duners... No summer payments. :p

No Winter payments for those of us who go to G :D

PerrySoCal

Bretmd94
08-12-2003, 06:25 AM
Usually the big parties are not at sand fest. They used to be a Box Car. Even those ones have died because of the new rules. Its pretty lame. Theres no kids going to box car int he middle of the night, and no old people. Usually if you get hurt its your own fault. You take the risk of getting hit by a drunk rail driver going to box car at 11pm. Those parties are some of the best times i have ever had. Its very lame to see it go.

And if i had a family of my own i would not bring them all to Sand Fest to ride. Thats just stupid. Way to small of an area and too many people to have kids riding around. I would much rather go to Spinreal or a less crowded area.

And yes the Dune Cops are *******s. They seem to think that every person riding past 8 is drunk or carrying alcohol. My friend got ripped off his quad by a cop and another cop had ahis gun out because they saw him put his cell phone in his pocket. they thought it was a beer can. ****ed up.

They have a border patrol system going on at the entrances to the dunes also. Its more of a pain than getting into the US from Mexico. If you have any bags they go throught them, they sound check to make sure your under 93 decible (which is rediculous to ask seeing at any aftermarket exhaust puts you above that) And check for other actual important stuff like flags and offroad pass's.

Duning is going downhill fast. :grr: