PDA

View Full Version : extended axle....

Glamis400ex
01-22-2002, 05:25 PM
Hey guys,

I'm toying with the idea of a 2+2 or +4 axle for my 400ex.

The motor is completly stock for now. My question is, will the extra width take away any HP from the engine? I know it sounds funny but, it makes sense to me that the narrower a quad is, the faster it is and better power delivery and the wider it is the more the power has to "travel" to get to the tires and axle.

I'm trying to explain this the best I can, I know it sounds goofy, but I'm sure someone understands what I'm trying to say here.

When I'm climbing the big dunes at Glamis, I'm already short on power so I don't need anything else contributing to that factor.

Thank for any help.

Glamis

Guy400
01-22-2002, 06:33 PM
I understand what you're trying to say and can assure you that a +4 is nowhere near long enough to sap HP. In order to have that occur you'd have to have an axle so long and weak that it actually twists from the power of the motor and absorbs HP. Think about it, take an 8 foot piece of black iron pipe and lay it on the ground. Put your foot on one end of it and roll it forward. The opposite end rotates at the same speed as the side you're pushing on. You'd have to have it so long that the rotational force applied by your foot would be partially absorbed by the time it got to the end (ex. the pipe makes 3/4 of a full rotation on your foot side but the far end has only turned 1/2 of a full rotation). You'll be fine with an extended axle and it won't hurt HP.

AlaskaSpeed
01-22-2002, 07:06 PM
Hey, Glamis;
We are coming down to Glamis for 2 weeks during Easter. We are not shipping our quads down, costs too much; we will be renting quads in Orange County area with our motorhome. Anyways, I am renting a stock 400EX, my friend a Banshee. I am choosing the 400EX because I am familiar with it and know how it jumps, handles, etc....figure that is a good thing since I will be in an area I have never been before. How does your stock 400EX do on the dunes? JIM

01-23-2002, 08:04 AM
I got one for sale in the classifieds if your interested..

400exRacerX
01-23-2002, 05:53 PM
I'd definatley get one, they make your quad wider but not extremely wider were it would take away HP. This is my lsr axle fully extended,

Glamis400ex
01-23-2002, 07:07 PM
Rico,

Your post for that axle is exactly what prompted me to inquire about the difference it would make.

My only concern is that if anything were to happen to it, I'm up the creek, with no warranty.

Still debating....

Glamis

Glamis400ex
01-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Alaska_400ex,

I have no problems what-so-ever with my 400ex. Takes me just about anywhere I choose to go. I would however recommend that the quads have paddles on them. Some of these dunes are so soft and steep that my uncles Banshee can only get half way up with knobbies.

You WILL have a blast though. Glamis is like no other place. It's so big and there are so many kinds of dunes to explore. BIG bowls also, some are like 150 yards across. 5th geard pinned stuff.

Just something to think about.

Glamis

305exracer11
01-24-2002, 12:47 PM
a +4 axle is the best thing i added to my 305ex. i would go with a durablue axle and it does not take away hp

1997 305ex
+4 axle
+2 a arms
works shocks
duncan bumper
38mm carb
18in turf tamers
tag handle bars
ceet ghaphics
shaved plastic
ac nerfs and grap bar
kn filter
kill switch
denton steering damper
fmf pipe

chris29
01-24-2002, 11:52 PM
See Rico I told you that nobody wants your durablue axle. You dig your self in a hole and now your fu*ked. I tell ya what, you can use that durablue axle to walk around with as a cane since your back hurts so much!

01-25-2002, 06:57 AM
The axle's sold sucka..:D :D

Were's my subframe at lady?????