PDA

View Full Version : Somethings Wrong?

01_300ex
01-22-2002, 05:12 PM
i just got done putting new gaskets in my 300ex because of a leak and when i went to roll start it (battery's dead) i let out the clutch and it just kept rolling but as fast and a whinning noise came from the engine as it was rolling. What is wrong.

01_300ex
01-22-2002, 08:02 PM
anybody know. i really need to know whats wrong.

01-22-2002, 08:55 PM
It's hard to tell from the information you gave, I will assume you had the key on, gas on, quad in 1st or 2nd while trying to start. If this is all true I would speculate that something wasn't done right with the gasket change. Did you do the gasket's or did someone else? Which gaskets exactly needed to be replaced? It could be the timing is 180 degrees out causing zero compression which in turn makes a very strange sound and could cause valve damage. I would highly recommend you check your valves/timing to be sure it is correct. Sorry post is so long. Good luck and let me know what you find out.

01_300ex
01-23-2002, 07:32 PM
i tried to start it again but it still did the same thing like before, even after i tried to fix it.Which i think i got it right.

01-23-2002, 07:34 PM
What exactly did you try to fix? Did you figure out what the problem is?

01_300ex
01-24-2002, 05:48 AM
I changed the head gasket, and my key and gas was turned on. Also it only does it when i let out the clutch after i have it rolling fast it start it.

01-24-2002, 01:57 PM
Which service manual did you use to assist you in changing the head gasket? What you are describing sounds alot like what my quad sounded like when my cam sprocket fell off. Does the 300 have the same overhead cam design as the 400? When replacing the head gasket did you keep the timing chain from falling down into the crankcase? It is really tough to guess without actually pulling apart the topend again and insuring everything is properly together. I see another day in the garage in your future. The only other thing to check would be make sure the spark plug is tight and connected. Good luck.:confused:

01_300ex
01-26-2002, 08:01 AM
I found out something. When i took my head cover off of my cylinder and rolled it in gear, it would roll like normal and try to start. But when i put the cover back on it, it would roll like it didnt have any comp. If you dont know what im taking about then take the spark plug out and roll it in gear, and it should just roll really easy and make a weird noise, or thats what mine does.

01_300ex
01-26-2002, 08:26 PM
anybody know, or is there not enough info.

01-26-2002, 11:20 PM
The problem you described could be: When you put your cylinder head back on you failed to have the piston at TDC when you put the cam sprocket on. Take the top apart again, take the cam sprocket off, rotate piston to TDC/timing mark, install cam sprocket on cam with lobes down. This should resolve all your problems. Hope this helps. The reason the bike sounded better with valve cover off was the valves remained closed due to no rocker arm contact. Good Luck.

R-Crazy
01-27-2002, 10:51 AM
make sure you use a torque wrench for to tighten everything up.

dave

01_300ex
02-04-2002, 06:17 PM
ok, i dont think that it is the timing anymore. But i think it is something wrong with my spark plug. To give you more detail, my 300 just makes whinning noise when i push it,and it rolls really easy in gear, you can also here the engine sucking in air through the filter. Would not getting any spark cause this.

02-04-2002, 07:04 PM
check your valve adjustment, and make sure that you are not holding the valves open.. back them off 1 full turn to assure that they arent too tight, if it starts, adjust them per the service manual. I am not sure if the 300 has a reverse decompressor, but if it does(like the 400), make sure that the spring loaded locating dowell is still in the cylinder head. it fell out of mine during a port job, and never got installed, and caused the reverse decompressor to hold the exhaust valve open when the engine was rotating over.. see if that helps