PDA

View Full Version : im new, i few questions

WhiteZee
08-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Hi, i just bought a used 2k 300ex saturday, and i have some questions.

1. the atv drives fine except that it kind of "pops" when i am not on the gas, like then im slowing down, and this is only if i still have it in gear, doesnt do it if i pull the clutch in.

2. clutchless shifting
Originally posted by user101
it is not bad for the engine to not use the clutch and shift gears while in a wheelie.technically u dont need a clutch any of the time while except when sarting and braking...as long as u get the rpm's to the certain spot for shifting.

is this true???

3. Jetting, i have a k&n filter, and an exaust muffler, stock pipe, what jetting should i be running????

4. can i advance the timing to get a gain??? how can i do this safely???

thank you all very much in advance.

250exen
08-04-2003, 03:30 PM
WELECOME TO YOUR NEXT ADDICTION!!
haha,
welecome to exriders!

umm ill try to help you the best i can..

1) your popping problem is oyour jetting. if i remember correctly, you need to bring up the jetting.

2) that one is new to me. untill you get a positive answere, i recomend using it the way you would normally, as in pulling it in every time you shift.

3) i cant help you there, i dont have a 300ex and dont know their jetting as well as a 250ex's. im sure someone else can help

4) i also have no idea. other can help on this one too!

tj

stupid driver
08-04-2003, 03:31 PM
ok, i can answer 3 outa 4.

1. Your lean. Richen your mixture screw up a bit until the popping stops. a few test runs will fix this in a jiffy.

2. The clutch is there for a reason. Every once in a while, say on a wheely or sumthin, but learn to use the dam* clutch. It will help in the long run.

3. I hate jetting myself, and i dont know crap about it.

4. Really, your not gonna see very much of a gain unless you go all out mods. I would save my money and use it on some other mod.

I hope this helped.

Diedrich
08-05-2003, 08:37 AM
what kind of pipe do u have?

WhiteZee
08-05-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee [QUOTE]3. Jetting, i have a k&n filter, and an exaust muffler, stock pipe, what jetting should i be running????

i wont have my servise manual for a few days, where is the a/f adjustment screw????

also, does anyone know what the correct jetting is for my 300ex, considering i only have intake and muffler???

thanks for the replys guys!!!

ewalker302
08-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by stupid driver
ok, i can answer 3 outa 4.

2. The clutch is there for a reason. Every once in a while, say on a wheely or sumthin, but learn to use the dam* clutch. It will help in the long run.

Listen, ride your bike the way its cofortable to you. You dont have to clutch everytime you shift if you don't want to. I dont get it but some people are obsessed with this clutch thing.

When you shift without the clutch does anything grind or does it shift smooth? Dont worry I already know the answer.

But look around you wont find any posts about people doing any kind of damage or wear to their bikes by not clutching. Some guy on here even told me I should be cluthing every shift with my pinky?? So do what feels good to you.

Now Poppin it real hard to when you take off, well thats another story.
:bandit:

nismo
08-05-2003, 12:41 PM
i say just use the clutch its there. i mean if u didnt need it then they wouldnt put it there now would they? personaly i will always use the clutch no matter what b/c i have replaced my trans b/c the person before me never used the clutch and it broke the windows in the gears (i have the gears in my basement) i dont know anything about jetting or the timing.

WhiteZee
08-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
i wont have my servise manual for a few days, where is the a/f adjustment screw????

also, does anyone know what the correct jetting is for my 300ex, considering i only have intake and muffler???

thanks for the replys guys!!!

WhiteZee
08-06-2003, 10:06 AM
^

JabberJaw
08-06-2003, 10:19 AM
I only use my clutch for take off and stopping. Been doing that for 2 years now, no problems.

You are right, the clutch is there for a reason... when you take off from a dead stand still and when you come to a stop you need a clutch. It may help smooth shifting but is not required in order to shift once you are moving.

Does it hurt it?
Riding your bike hurts it!
Using your clutch will wear it out faster than not using it.
Shifting incorrectly without using the clutch could cause damage.

Will it cause premature wear?
Maybe, but probably not enough to warrant using the clutch everytime.

You have to use the clutch according to the situation... like when you are on a steep grade going up or down, it may be easier to shift with the clutch, or when you are towing an 18 wheeler because he ran out of gas.

And you have to do it properly! That would be the main cause of damage!

pnut420
08-06-2003, 10:30 AM
I think it is funny how some people are just to lazy to use the clutch, I can shift as fast with the clutch as without and I havent been riding all that long. If I start getting tired and Im in third going to fourth then I might not use the clutch, but other than that you might as well use it.

The one I like is. "I'm going to try racing him this time, but I'm not going to use the clutch when I shift". The guy ends up loosing just as bad as he did the first time and alot of times you will miss 2-3 if you don't use the clutch.

JabberJaw
08-06-2003, 10:33 AM
I don't use my clutch because I have the strongest clutch springs you can get. When we ride, we ride from morning until morning again. Your hand would not last that long, well most of us married guys anyway!

And I'd agree with you, if you are racing someone, thats a good time to use the clutch, but the hardest on the clutch. Alot of times you bring up the rpm's when you shift and let the clutch out to gain more power.

kilabeez0
08-06-2003, 12:24 PM
so no one has said the "proper" time to shift without the clutch. sorry i'm new:)

WhiteZee
08-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by kilabeez0
so no one has said the "proper" time to shift without the clutch. sorry i'm new:)

YLW400
08-06-2003, 02:45 PM
I have heard the only "bad "time to shift when not using a clutch, is when downshifting.........Supposedly upshifting is fine....

ewalker302
08-06-2003, 03:23 PM
RIDE HOWEVER YOU LIKE TO.

I dont care what anyboby thinks.

Can we please get this
There for a reason crap a rest.

I use the clutch sometimes
sometimes I dont depends on how I feel

Just Dont listen to anybody who thinks
the way they do something is the end all beat all
way to ride.

P.S. You arent going to hurt anything if you dont use it all the time.

everybody yell this out one time

OK ready ----- THE CLUTCH IS THERE FOR A REASON.

Feel better -- ok glad you could get that out of your system.

pnut420
08-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by ewalker302

Can we please get this

way to ride.

Your funny, he asked us our opinion, so I guess since you said I dont care what anyone thinks, then they should not be able to state what they think, all because you said I dont care what anyone says.

But to answer his question, you can shift without the clutch when you feel the trannie is not in a bind, you will know right away when you try to shift, after some practice you will feel when its safe to shift without the clutch.

WhiteZee
08-07-2003, 10:24 AM
pnut, thank you for the reply, ewalker go **** your self.

JabberJaw
08-07-2003, 10:41 AM
I don't use my clutch...cause I have my wife convinced the shifter is located on the seat... when she rides with me, she shifts for me and she shifts alot....up/down up/down up/down.....

My grandfather taught me that one...cept he doesn't do it anymore on account it's hard on the granny!

WhiteZee
08-07-2003, 01:11 PM
wtf is wrong with you??? seriously.

JabberJaw
08-07-2003, 01:33 PM
The list is way too long to type!

YLW400
08-07-2003, 01:51 PM
LMAO:eek2: :chinese:

ewalker302
08-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by pnut420
Your funny, he aksed us our opinion, so I guess since you said I dont care what anyone thinks, then they should not be able to state what you think, all because you said I dont care what anyone says.

You are right Pnut.

I should have said I don't care what anyone say's not think's.
I guess i do care what people think, or I wouldn't try to help them approach the great clutch usage question with an open mind. ( Does this sound silly to anyone else )

But could you repeat that one more time.
I got a headache tryin to figure out exactly what you are trying to say there.:confused:

And White zee ---- Go suck a clutch!!!!!!!

Wait a minute,---------- I meant exhaust.:o

SILLY Clutch stroker!!

pnut420
08-08-2003, 12:21 PM
You are right Pnut.

I should have said I don't care what anyone say's not think's.
I guess i do care what people think, or I wouldn't try to help them approach the great clutch usage question with an open mind. ( Does this sound silly to anyone else )

But could you repeat that one more time.
I got a headache tryin to figure out exactly what you are trying to say there.:confused:

And White zee ---- Go suck a clutch!!!!!!!

Go suck a clutch, hmmm we dealing with a 15 year old?

Wait a minute,---------- I meant exhaust.:o

SILLY Clutch stroker!!

pnut420
08-08-2003, 12:32 PM

Can we please get this

way to ride.

And I dont make sense in my thread, you talking kindergarden talk or what, There for a reason rests a crap? Even if that is a saying it is still a pretty lame one. then you bust out with Just dont listen to anybody who thinks the way they do something is the end "all beat all way to ride" :confused:

JabberJaw
08-08-2003, 07:49 PM
I'm keeping score!

ewalker302
08-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
I'm keeping score!

Damn it Jabber.
Thanks'
Thanks' a lot

I had already let this one go.
I wrote two replys then didn't post em.
I thought pnuts last post was pointless enough to end it.

I'm gonna leave the clutch threads to you from now on......

You seem to enjoy it as much as I do to watch all hell break loose when you tell em their bike won't implode if the clutch isn't fingered properly every time.

Nah, I can't resist either.

But Jabber, what do I do when some dumbass who has to start a thread when he can't figure out how to use the damn clutch on his own tells me to go and F myself when I give my opinion.

I guess I have to be sweeter about it, I certainly would'nt want to offend.

For the love of god use, the damn clutch, please use it, I want you to use it, you gotta use it, I will make you use it, Your quad will burst into hellfire if you don't use the freakin clutch every single time you shift--pretty please use the clutch.

psssst(you don't really have to I was only foolin)

Jabber, you know good & well you were trying to tell this guy the same thing as me.
I guess you were just nicer about it.

Now you want to keep score, great.
Well you are going to have to translate for me too.

I like it when 420 rolls around too,
But I need some of what this Pnut's smokin'.:bandit::confused2

pnut420
08-09-2003, 05:34 AM
Yes you do need to smoke what Im smoking. Just to let you know I wasnt trying to attack you or anything, but you come off to me as a complete smart*** and I just wasnt digging that. Its all good though, life goes on, blah, blah, and Im going to go smoke one for you.

Basically this guy is sorta new to it and if you tell him that he doesnt have to use the clutch if he doesnt want to, I dont think that is good advice for someone that doesnt have a feel for when you can shift your trannie without the clutch, if you do it wrong it will grind and not be good on the trannie, also I wouldnt do any downshifting without the clutch unless you know for sure that the trannie is not in a bind.

I like this forum mainly because people dont seem to attack each other like the other forums, so we need to just end this, whitezee's questions have been answered, so lets just all hug and make up. :huh

pnut420
08-09-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
pnut, thank you for the reply, ewalker go **** your self.

Just some advice, no matter how stupid someone is being man, it still isnt cool to tell someone to go **** yourself. Most forums would consider that an attack on another member and they would ban you.

michigander
08-09-2003, 10:01 PM
I agree with pnut420.You shold not cut people down.
Thats pretty lowwwwwwwww

ewalker302
08-09-2003, 10:27 PM
You are 100% correct Pnut
Sorry for giving you a hard time seriously.
I like this place a lot more when people are friendly too.
I Just get carried away some (most) of the time.

pnut420
08-10-2003, 05:24 PM
You are 100% correct Pnut
Sorry for giving you a hard time seriously.
I like this place a lot more when people are friendly too.
I Just get carried away some (most) of the time.

Its all good man. Just glad it didnt get to far. I tend to get carried away myself, wait I guess we all do.