PDA

View Full Version : flywheel shaving..anyone regret doing it?

SLB400EX
01-22-2002, 04:03 PM
Rob(my husband) is seriously considering having his flywheel shaved. We've been reading the posts lately...now we have a few questions.
Just wondering if any of you who have had your flywheel shaved regret doing so? If ya do..why??
(Hey..those flywheels aren't cheap, I hate to have him go thru with this and then hate the results!)
Any of you who have had it done ride trails?? Or do most of you race? We just trail ride.

Thanks in advance for the help and answers!!
Sher

ChadEXer
01-22-2002, 04:35 PM
Also. Can any machine shop do this or should it be sent somewhere in particular??
Thanks

SLB400EX
01-22-2002, 05:27 PM
Rob will take his to our Honda shop to get it done.

out4sand
01-22-2002, 05:31 PM
I have not had it done to either of our bikes but I do ride with a lot of people that have had it done on Banshee's. Granted they are very different then the 400's but it will take some of the tork out of your bike so with a banshee it's great if you drag but if your into crazy hill climbs you'll have to regain some of the tork another way such as changing sprocket sizes. Now with a 400ex, especially with the mods your husband has, it may not be as big of loss because they are so torky and lightening the fly wheel will get the bike to rev quicker. If you mainly trial ride this might be a good thing. My only advice is that if you do decide to do it, make sure you take it to someone that knows what they are doing! I wouldn't just take it to a machine shop, take it to a reputable cycle shop because the flywheel isn't something you want to mess up.

Lil90man!!
01-22-2002, 07:40 PM
hey i only know one person that has had it done but i think it would be good on a four-hundred, he is about 175-200 lbs and has a 300ex he had it done and it wouldn't pull 5th very well, but on a 400 it probably has plenty of torque to do it so i think it would be a wise investment, also he rides all woods and pretty slow trails if that matters also all he had done to his bike is a supertrapp 4in race pipe on it and jetted he said a lighter person would like it, someone who rode fast trails or bikes with more torque!!

big-guy
01-23-2002, 04:25 AM
I wouldn't bother shaving a flywheel for trail riding. The extra mass will keep the engine running at slower speeds.

I have a vw powered sand rail, and the lightened flywheel lets it rev quicker, but since the whole deal only weighs 936 lbs, I don't think it's really making a difference, not like a pipe, or other mods would.

For a full out drag banshee, I'd say go for it. For a trail ridden 400, I'd say fill the tank with gas, and just ride.

01-23-2002, 06:46 AM
Mines been lightened and I don't regret it at all,,if it takes away any torque I didn't feel it. Some say it's easier to stall the bike with this done,,I haven't had that problem,,,i say do it,,you won't regret it,,,it goes well with a pipe, filter and modified airbox..

ChadEXer
01-23-2002, 07:25 AM
Rico has steered me in the right direction a couple of times so I do trust him and I will have mine done also. Hey Rico. I have pretty much the same setup as you. What kind of gas do you run. Somebody said with the 10.8:1 that half and half would be the best?? What do you think??

SLB400EX
01-23-2002, 07:35 AM
I appreciate the replies guys.
Our Honda mechanic says it is a good thing to do too, he figures Rob will really like the results.
If by some chance he doesn't like the end result..Rob says he already has a spare flywheel..MINE!!! :confused: Oh boy...
Keep 'em coming..we're still reading.

Chad, Rob has 11:1 and he runs a mix of 3 gal. pump gas to 1 gal torco. What are you running Rico?
Sher

01-23-2002, 07:37 AM
I run 93 octane right now,,but will do a 50/50 mix come spring when I start riding all the time...I've been told that it will make our setup pull even harder plus help the motor run cooler,,it's plus,,but will cost a little more.

Mity Mo
01-23-2002, 08:26 AM
In my quad I run Sunoco 110 octane only. It makes it smell so sweet. Ha/Ha!!!!! I also trust Rico enough that I am having mine done. I think I will be most happy with the results. But I strictly race mine thats all. I have yet to take it out for anything but racing or practice. Mine has never seen a water hole or rain for that matter. Mo

ChadEXer
01-23-2002, 08:37 AM
I mostly do trail riding or in open fields but I will start drag racing a lot now. A new ATV park here in TX opened up a couple of weeks ago and they are going to start having drag races as well as another park that is close to me. I got tired of getting beat so when I get this 416 on here I hope to start woopin up on people. They put the 400's in a class by themselves and there is only one 400 that could beat mine and it was a 416! I will have a b etter setup though. I am very lucky. I have 2 ATV parks within 5 miles of where I live. I can ride my bike to either one of them. One is 1000+ acres and the other is 5000+ acres!!!

01-23-2002, 04:55 PM
If he dosen't like it i'll trade him for my un lightened one. I'll pay shiping too

SLB400EX
01-24-2002, 04:52 AM
LRD TRX250R...we'll keep that in mind.

Just wanted to let you all know that the ole 440 is making a trip to the shop Monday to lose some weight!! I'll be sure to let yuns know what Rob thinks. :) Hey..I'll let yuns know what I think too!!
Thanks for the input and the answers..much appreciated!!!
Sherri