PDA

View Full Version : pistions, hotcames, sleeves?

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 12:52 PM
ok all of those things i want to do to mine i want to make it a 426 with a hotcam,, but can you make it a 426 by urself or does a professional have to doit? do u just have to put a bigger sleeve and piston and buy a hotcam and put in it.. can u do that by urself in a days work i am pretty good about taking something apart an knowing how to put it back together .. or should i send it to someone ,, or is it reasonable

JOEX
08-04-2003, 01:05 PM
The cylinder will need to be bored and honed by a machine shop. The rest can be done by a resonably mechanicaly inclined person with a good service manual.

I have not done myself on a quad motor though. I have on several car motors.

Joe

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 05:38 PM
but i thought u dont have to have the cylinder bored to make it a 426 i thought a 426 was as high as u could go before u would have to have the cylinder bored (overbore)? i thought u could just have a bigger sleeve put in and a bigger piston?/

stupid driver
08-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by G Rincon
but i thought u dont have to have the cylinder bored to make it a 426 i thought a 426 was as high as u could go before u would have to have the cylinder bored (overbore)? i thought u could just have a bigger sleeve put in and a bigger piston?/

nah, you can go as high as a 426 on a stock sleeve. If you go to a 440, you need to resleeve. But you need a mechanic to bore your sleeve out to accomidate the bigger 426 piston . ;)

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 06:12 PM
thanks for the help but how much do u think that would cost... guessing?

JOEX
08-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Yup, what stupid driver said. When ever you increase cc's there is either boring or stroking involved.

Personally I wouldn't bore it unless the cylinder needs to be bored. Go with a high comp. piston and cam. More bang for the buck;)

Joe

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 06:14 PM
so wich is easier and less exspensive, to bore out the stock sleeve or just to resleeve and make it a 440

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 06:18 PM
so, should i just keep the stock bore and just get a higher compression piston,, would that be good? and would it make it considerably faster,, or is boring it worth the money.. about how much faster would it be if it was a 426 , a 440, or a 400 with a higher compression cylinder.... sorry about all this i just dont want to make a big mistake and do something that is not woth it

Castor-426ex
08-04-2003, 06:23 PM
where are you in ky? i have done a 426 kit...and i live in western ky

JOEX
08-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Just boring will less expensive than sleeving.

If you bore it you will need a new piston which will most likely be a hi comp one so obviously boring AND high comp piston will give the better power than just the piston.

Another thing to consider is porting the head;)

You thought this was going to quick and simple didn't ya:D lol!

Wait until you get into the suspension.........;)

Joe

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 06:55 PM
i like in eastern ky ,, mattera fact as far eats as u can go i live in pike county.. where exactly do u live ,,my sister lives in fort cambell are u close to that.. and is that a pic of socom on ur side thing because if it is that game rules\

\

and what does exactly porting the head mean and how much??$

JOEX
08-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by G Rincon
[B...and what does exactly porting the head mean and how much??$ [/B]
Basically it it involves enlarging, smoothing the areas around the valves. Polishing is only done on the exhaust side. It should include "port matching".... lining up the intake manifold with the intake port and header with the exhaust port.

Joe