PDA

View Full Version : Twist or Thumb ?????

08-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Which one do you use??:confused:

Pappy
08-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Which one do you use??:confused:

for what:confused: :blah:

i use a thumb ...and i believe id die if i rode hard with a twist:(

Derek
08-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Im a thumb man. Bought a twist first day i had my 400, hooked it up and rode. Had it off the next day.

batgeek
08-04-2003, 12:16 PM
having ridden dirtbikes since i was 7, i couldn't imagine riding a quad with a twist. the side to side motion that occurs when riding a quad is so severe i know i would kill myself if i went to a twist throttle.

i wouldn't mind a twist if i just dragged. it wouldn't be that bad duning either. or maybe even a long CC race like the Baja. but GNCC type XC = dead batgeek.

wilkin250r
08-04-2003, 12:26 PM
My R had a twist when I bought it. I changed it within a week.

AtvMxRider
08-04-2003, 12:29 PM
/\ one of those

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-04-2003, 12:32 PM
i like to use my left hand, it gets the job done well :D wait are you talking about the throttle on my quad?:huh :ermm: :confused2

batgeek
08-04-2003, 12:39 PM
bro! start switching. you'll get a funny bend.

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
bro! start switching. you'll get a funny bend.

too late:uhoh:

mx400
08-04-2003, 01:20 PM
i like my thumb throttle. i have ridden on quads with twists and they suck if you turn sharply on anythign. feels like your breakin your wrist. thats why i THUMB IT

AtvMxRider
08-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
too late:uhoh:

me too:ermm:

MotoLappa
08-04-2003, 02:47 PM
I guess I am the only person willing or crazy enough to use a twist throttle. Everything I have ever ridden has had one. I just dont believe I could have the same throttle control with a thumb throttle. I also have a quad with a thumb throttle. I just prefer to ride with a twist.

heavy_d
08-04-2003, 03:14 PM
the day after i got my lt250r the twist was off, but its all good on bikes

250exen
08-04-2003, 03:23 PM
when riding my 250, i cant imagin using a twist, but on the other hand, riding my friends dirtbike, i cant imagin using a thumb:eek2: . so, i like it the way its suppose to be

user101
08-04-2003, 03:35 PM
i make vroom vroom noises

Chanman420q
08-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by user101
i make vroom vroom noises

yup........ me too......... me too

but in all seriousness i dont really care. Ive ridden both, owned both and neither of them i really perfer..... what ever makes the vroom vroom noices.

02 Red Rider
08-04-2003, 04:37 PM
I guess i'm with the minority. I love my twist throttle, I can't imagine riding without it.:D

Butters
08-04-2003, 05:07 PM
sometimes when i am making vroom vroom noises i pretend like i am actually gooing fast.

08-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
too late:uhoh: mine steers left now....iv'e switched but its not really going back to the middle :scary:

Braff1
08-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
having ridden dirtbikes since i was 7, i couldn't imagine riding a quad with a twist. the side to side motion that occurs when riding a quad is so severe i know i would kill myself if i went to a twist throttle.

i wouldn't mind a twist if i just dragged. it wouldn't be that bad duning either. or maybe even a long CC race like the Baja. but GNCC type XC = dead batgeek.

I to have ridden dirt bikes and thought it would be no problem on a quad, Wrong! The only thing I can figure is that a dirt bike you stay centered over the bike and you have just a forward and back action of the bike as it hits the bump. With a quad you have front, back, left, and right movement of the quad (acutally it is almost like a cyclic action making holding the throttle difficult.

I tried it for a day and a half up at LBL and put the thumb back on, but I would like to try it again.

Juggalo
08-04-2003, 06:17 PM
i have a ton of experience with twist throttles. my old LT had one, my friends banshee has one. about 7 of my friends all have dirtbikes that i ride that have em. they suck on quads. hands down. stay with a thumb

VIC
08-04-2003, 06:47 PM
When I got my first R it had a twist on I got used to it fast. Now I can't stand riding a quad with a thumb on it.

norrisboat
08-05-2003, 07:18 AM
Id like to know how korry ellis goes so fast with a twist.

JabberJaw
08-05-2003, 07:22 AM
I'll twist your thumb if you pull my finger!

wilkin250r
08-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
I'll twist your thumb if you pull my finger!

Is that along the same lines and the "vrrooom" noises? Probly more of a "vraaap"...

JabberJaw
08-05-2003, 07:45 AM
I don't know...but just by doing that...you can tell if she's runnin rich or lean by the smell of the exhaust!

Smell's like Taco Bell to me!

Bean
08-05-2003, 08:00 AM
my dad had a twist on his R, and i had a thumb on mine, i could use either of them, i liked them both, you have to train your hand not to jerk around and twist the throttle, its easy once you figure it out, just like putting on a chain, difficult for the first few times, then it gets easy

08-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by norrisboat

There's several pro's that run twist...

I ran one on a quad for 2 years and loved it...said i'd never runa thumb again. Then when i bought the 400ex i forgot about the twist and have ran a thumb for the last 3 years..

Once you get used to them it's not a problem..

08-05-2003, 09:47 AM
if you would ahve learned to twist instead of stroke you would have been a motocrtoss champion by now

Rip_Tear
08-05-2003, 10:53 AM
I use to love twist, but now I feel like I have not control with one... I still like them, but I wouldn't put one on a quad

stiffy
08-05-2003, 11:02 AM
I went with a thumb all dune season then I finally got a twist but I havn't done much riding with it. I'm not sure which one I like better but I'm thinkin the twist for the dunes especially when I'm following all of the guys they have alot stronger hands and arms than I do.

ILGNCC400EX
08-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Worst crash i ever had was because of a twist throttle..:rolleyes: On a 88 quadracer......Clipped a little tree the bars turned hard to the left the MO FO went wide open dead center into a big old tree!!!! :huh bent the frame the quads and mine both :rolleyes: Destroyed the front end the quad and me too........NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused2

Bubba
08-10-2003, 06:05 PM
when i got my 300 it had a twist and i didnt like it at all but now i love it..i ride through woods, in fields and i hit jumps and its not problem..takes a while to get used to

Braff1
08-10-2003, 10:41 PM
After running the harescramble at Haspin and another harescramble today, I am seriously thinking about switching back and giving the twister another try this coming weekend at haspin. I can't stand it when I am trying to climb hills and my thumb just wont open the throttle. So I was thinking, continue trying to drive using my palm, wrist, elbow, and left hand to work the gas or switch back to the twister and learn to make it work.

Is there any mods anyone know that you could do to soften up the tension on the throttle (so that it would be similar to the suppleness of the z-400). I know Honda likes to add in alot of safety features to their quads but the throttle is killing me.

08-11-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
After running the harescramble at Haspin and another harescramble today, I am seriously thinking about switching back and giving the twister another try this coming weekend at haspin. I can't stand it when I am trying to climb hills and my thumb just wont open the throttle. So I was thinking, continue trying to drive using my palm, wrist, elbow, and left hand to work the gas or switch back to the twister and learn to make it work.

Is there any mods anyone know that you could do to soften up the tension on the throttle (so that it would be similar to the suppleness of the z-400). I know Honda likes to add in alot of safety features to their quads but the throttle is killing me.

I just installed a new throttle cable and lubed up the innards of the throttle housing and wow what a difference. But my last trip out on the MX track i ran for 15 minutes as hard as i could... My thumb began to cramp up...i don't think it's the throttle itself it's having your thumb in an ackward angle for so long.. I might be tryin out that twisty during the winter harescrambles..:eek:

flyin#5
08-11-2003, 07:15 AM
is this a pole for the new bop-it?:ermm: :confused:

promisc
08-11-2003, 08:13 AM
I use thumb for MX. And twist for long ride, winter and dunes. Close cornering is very difficult with a twist throtle.

R-Crazy
08-11-2003, 05:23 PM
i had a twist on my 300, but i kept the thumb on my R and it would be wierd trying 2 feather with a twist. i started on a twist, but i think they should stay on bikes, but to each is own. as long as u have fun doin what u do, it doesnt matter.

dave

Natertot426ex
08-12-2003, 01:41 AM
I started out with a thumb and now I use a twist. I like it except through woops it sucks. I am getting better at it though. It feels funny to ride a thumb after I've riden with a twist for as long as I have.

99_400EX
08-12-2003, 07:40 AM
i used to think i would only want a twist on a 2 stroke quad because of the need to blip the throttle alot but i ran hard on a track racing my buddy and my thumb got all cramped up and i couldnt hold in anymore kinda makes me want to stwitch to a twist

Duncanracer
08-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by norrisboat

watch his hand position in corners....its crazy...
also he just doesnt get out of shape very much so its possible to ride with a twist lol......

I ride with a twist