PDA

View Full Version : fast help-wont start

speedy400
08-04-2003, 10:39 AM
hey when I hit the ignition button it just buzzes near the battery,I checked the ground and where everything connects to the battery but everything is ok. Could this be a mechanical problem? I just instaled my 416 kit.

AtvMxRider
08-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Double check your connections. sounds like something is loose. Try cleaning the battery terminals.

speedy400
08-04-2003, 10:42 AM
OK I'll go do that, but are you conferming that it cant be a mechanical problem?thanks for the fast reply-darren

carlj75
08-04-2003, 10:43 AM
Try charging it or jump starting the quad. How long was your bike apart while you did your motor work? All that time without riding could have discharged your battery.

jay's 300
08-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Mine done the same thing and it was the ground! Connect a jumper cable from the neg. on the batt. to the footpeg. That's how I found it. :D

AtvMxRider
08-04-2003, 10:49 AM
It definetly sounds electrical not mechanical. just check the connections I think thats your problem:) . Good luck

speedy400
08-04-2003, 10:56 AM
well thats a great that its not a motor problem:D ,I tried cleaning a lot of the electrical conjuctions and still buzzes, I'll try the jumper cable thing, my ground wire is pretty crappy...also It was sitting for a week and 1/2,but I'm sure there is life in it because the N light is nice and brite and dosnt die when I hit the start button thanks again guys,I'll keep trying till that SOB starts!!!:macho -darren

carlj75
08-04-2003, 10:57 AM
Darren, you have a PM.

08-04-2003, 11:13 AM
charge your battery

speedy400
08-04-2003, 11:39 AM
well I think the problem was the battery wasnt charged, my mom pull started me, I seem to have another large problem. It sounds really wierd, like its only firing every 4 compression strokes or something and when it does fire its loud!,I did all this during the rebuild-replaced the cam, bored the cylinder, minor porting a polished the exhuast side,new JE piston10:8(11:1 with the gasket), XC head gaskets, new gaskets,put new pilot and main jet in, adjusted the airscrew, new non synthetic oil,ajusted the valves,got a powerbomb header,I checked the alinement on the cam and everything. My jetting is 170 Dynojet, 45 pilot,and airscrew 2.5 turns out,5th clip position with a dynojet needle I think thats all. If it keeps nurring like this after i drop the oil and filter I'll be taking it apart again-darren:(

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 11:39 AM
The Buzzin is your starter solenoid. Dont just keep on buzzin it or its gonna burn up.

you got either a low battery, or the motors a little too new & Tight for the starter to get it goin-- Probly a little o both.

1. goto store wal-mart target whatever.
2. Buy a 1 amp motorcycle battery charger the arent expensive.
3. Charge it for a few 3-4 hours then try again.

If you just put in the kit, try puttin a little oil in the plug hole just a little like a teaspoon or so.

grab yer big allen wrench & socket set. turn the crank counterclockwise a few times to get everything all slicked up in there & that should loosen it up.

Thats one way.

What I would probly do is get up on top of a good hill put er in third grab the clutch, turn the key on, start rollin pretty good pop the clutch & go ridin. Or just hook up good piece of rope one end to the front of your bike & the other to another Bike, Car, Truck, Just somethin thats runnin, then do what I said on the Hill. Just try not to run over whatever is pullin ya when she kicks to life.

But look dont go foolin around with automotive battery chargers or jumpin off your bike with a car battery. Oh yeah it will work sure your bike will probly start just get ready to write a fat check for a new stator & electrical parts. Maybe not today maybe not tomorrow but it will screw up your bike remember 1 amp thats all I know its all 12 volts OK but your pumpin way more amps through your charging system & starter that it was designed for, but Ive done it, & had to pay to get it fixed after I fried it. It sucks to have a bike with nothing but an electric start and a fried charging system. You just have to make sure you park on top of a good hill everytime U stop.

:bandit:

speedy400
08-04-2003, 11:40 AM
oh yeah, it seems to idle smooth and full throttle runs "....alright"(I didnt do full throttle much at all just for like 1/2 sec)

flyin#5
08-04-2003, 11:44 AM
darren- this happend to our rancher before too. i think it was the starter. we had to get a new one. i think that was it .... but it could of just been a bad batterie... i forgot lol

zoom400ex
08-04-2003, 11:54 AM
my 400 did the same thing and the battery was spent.............so i bought the more powerful YUASA battery from pappy, the part # is yt-12a-bs

flyin#5
08-04-2003, 11:57 AM
ok, now that ive thought about it it was the battery. see if it will hold a charge.... if not get your ***** up here and we will throw the rancher battery in that thing.:macho

speedy400
08-04-2003, 12:33 PM
I think I figured it out:rolleyes: I totally forgot about accadentally dropping some oil in the spark plug hole while I was putting extra oil in the head, also I forgot about leaving the choke on full for about 5 min while I was trying to pull start it. haha. the spart plug is so black:blah: :cool: I'm retarded.-darren

flyin#5
08-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
I'm retarded.-darren

I agree!:eek: :blah: