PDA

View Full Version : Taylortown Pa. GNCC coming soon.

Pages : [1] 2

jlhughes750
08-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Well the next round is coming soon, just about a month away.

Who's riding something different then the first part of the season??

Anyone switching to the Yami....

Anyone have a points championship there in position to battle for??? Are u gonna take this next month to get in shape and win that championship??????

Ballance is out front and running away with the points lead, but, who will get second??? Duvall is close to overall second, only a few points behind Borich. Borich is in second in Pro and Overall but needs to beat Duvall the rest of the season to get the #2 on his quad next year!!!!! Derisi is next in line behind Borich for Pro points. The overall is sure different though!!!!!

Zracer(Harlen) switched classes the last round and won!!! I'm sure he's looking to stay in winning form in the Vet class.

Rowlrag?? I think he's still "whos your daddying" the junior class with a giant points lead.

Jeff (quadshop)Stoess is in a good position to win the championship in 4 stroke A, lets see if his summer testing and training helps him "seal" the deal. He's been "flat" out and on the gas all year.

250A: well i'm always routing for my local buddys.Dirk Decesare might have it wrapped up but, Sean Neidlinger, Todd Rothermel and Tom Hertz are all in the top 5 for points or close to it. Sean Neidlinger was just a few points out of 1rst going into Rausch and had some bad luck. Dan Destefano has a win also but may be out of the running for the points. 2nd,3rd and 4th are all seperated by 1 point.

Good luck to everyone!!!!!!!!
later, J

Me--- I'm just a moonlighting loser who can't go to enough races to qualify for points. maybe some year i will.......

660bigdaddy
08-04-2003, 02:24 PM
i'll be at this one. chasing that sand bagger in the vet class, z racer.:p j/k doing the 3 day deal. gncc on sat. and wnyoa on sunday. fitted for a coffin on monday.:confused2

Pappy
08-04-2003, 02:42 PM
ill be there!!!! searching for mullets and holding down the tailgate:huh

ZRacer
08-04-2003, 03:20 PM
i'll be at this one. chasing that sand bagger in the vet class, z racer

Hey Now:eek: Watch it BigDaddy

gncc311
08-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Ill be there brand new motor and all new loook on the old 440. hopefully ill move up to 4 or even 3 before the year is over in points.

Steve-O
08-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by 660bigdaddy
i'll be at this one. chasing that sand bagger in the vet class, z racer.:p j/k doing the 3 day deal. gncc on sat. and wnyoa on sunday. fitted for a coffin on monday.:confused2

maybe we can get a 2 for 1 deal :confused2

i was thinking the same schedule

02 Red Rider
08-04-2003, 04:49 PM
I'll be there same bike 4st B.:D

ralph13
08-04-2003, 05:21 PM
i will be there racing and helping pappy make fun of mulletts:D

popo
08-04-2003, 06:38 PM
JL, Did your wife have the baby yet?

jlhughes750
08-05-2003, 01:26 AM
:confused: not yet, she's not late yet, everythings ok in that dept. This is our second and we're getting to the point were i can't get to far from home on the weekends if u know what i mean!! thats ok, there not much racing going on the last few weeks. our district has had a break and we'll be back racing on the 17th, she's due the 11th so i think i might make it on the 17th at Rausch Creek mx park. Theres a District 6 Harescramble there!!!

I'm planning on running the Taylortown race, myself,DanK and my buddy the Carman, we always ran Mt Morris, camped walked the track friday, had a blast. For a few years we did that at Mt. Morris and it kinda became tradition. Wether we raced any others that year or not we all went to Morris. Now that we have not been going to Morris we're gonna camp at Taylortown. Should be a blast!!! None of us have done any good this year at all, but it'll still be fun. Carman and Dank both ran the Rausch GNCC,one bent his frame on the R and the other busted up his wrist on the start(but finished ok in the junior class).. My only races so far were Rausch and NC, i ran stock class and finished pretty decent in both races..

C-ya guys there!!!
later, J

BUCK442
08-05-2003, 08:21 AM
I will be there and on the same ol bike. Hopefully it will make 4 more races. Trying to crack into the top five and will be riding with a mission so watch out Stoess,Cook,Lane, Buck is coming atcha! Hey Stoess can those new tire thingies run in woolyboogers my holeshots just don't compare.;)

LaegerTRX250R
08-05-2003, 09:48 AM
250A gncc rider here...........anyone care to quess who?

08-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by LaegerTRX250R

IS that you gomer???:confused:

03GNCC270
08-05-2003, 10:27 AM
is that you blaine

Pappy
08-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by LaegerTRX250R

spill it:macho :blah:

Admin
08-05-2003, 10:46 AM

So, Blaine Shick also visits this site!

Well, nice to know you are on for the ride of your life at exriders.

Never a boring moment!

660bigdaddy
08-05-2003, 11:20 AM
hey blaine, it was great meeting you at the wnyoa race this weekend. welcome to the site.

08-05-2003, 02:02 PM
I'll be on my third quad in two years. what to guess what it is? hopefully it will pay off.

MEL
08-05-2003, 02:05 PM
yeah, its always good to see some new (and old) faces at the wnyoa races. so blaine, what did you think of the track? and, did you talk to tom waybright after the race? he took a good tumble early in the first lap. hope hes ok.

Pappy
08-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
I'll be on my third quad in two years. what to guess what it is? hopefully it will pay off.

so they figured out how to get that 4th wheel on a tri cycle eh:devil: :blah:

glad to have ya around blaine:D

240GNCC400
08-05-2003, 03:43 PM
whats this? did GNCCer give up on the honda? if you switched to the yamaha let me know what you think of it.

12gofast
08-05-2003, 05:59 PM
I will be there....and hopefully on a special new early release model.....look for new ATV performance parts from Moose.

popo
08-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Am I missing something here. Taylortown, Pa is located up by Altoona,Pa. Not even close to the directions perRacer Prod's website.

I thought Matthews Farm was located close to High Point in Mt.Morris?

Some newbies are gonna be way up north with no race.

Taco
08-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by popo
Am I missing something here. Taylortown, Pa is located up by Altoona,Pa. Not even close to the directions perRacer Prod's website.

I thought Matthews Farm was located close to High Point in Mt.Morris?

Some newbies are gonna be way up north with no race. FMF Mathew’s Farm GNCC
Located across the street from the old High Point GNCC, this course features lots of elevation change. You’ll be winding up and down hills all day here. Combine that with a lot of sections that are covered in grass, and you have a tough, slick GNCC course.

To win here, you need to be smart in picking lines. One bad route through a mud hole can cost a lot of time! There are some field sections here that let the rider’s pin it wide open too, so it’s a pretty fun track.

Last year’s winners: ATV: Ballance Bike: Woodford

Directions: From Pittsburgh, take I-79 south to Exit 1 (Morris exit), East 3 miles.

:huh What you talking about willis:huh

jlhughes750
08-06-2003, 01:23 AM
i still have no clue what i'm riding or what class to run at Taylortown. Junior,4stroke stock, 250A ??? my R is not near done yet, my RX is real close to being done, there's always the trusty EX i ran in the stock class!!!! we'll see i guess???

later, J

cdalejef
08-06-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
I'll be on my third quad in two years. what to guess what it is? hopefully it will pay off. Eton?

I'll still be on the ol trusty Cannondale looking to bring up my overall points.

jlhughes750
08-06-2003, 02:58 AM
Jeffs got his class wrapped up,now he can focus on the overall points, thats cool!!!:)

Good luck Jeff!!!! i don't think its over yet, but your certainly in the drivers seat.

cdalejef
08-06-2003, 03:06 AM
Actually, I don't. After throwouts I think it is very close! I'm to scared to add them up.:(
Bryan Cook is extremely fast!

Actually I'm more concearned about getting the highest possible overall number for next year so I have a shot at hooking some big sponsers. Its a big help when you have a reserved pit spot in the top 20 pro row.

lt250r91
08-06-2003, 01:17 PM
I'll be there on the same old GG 300, only difference I've been adding 250r aftermarket parts (radiator) to make it faster. Look out I may need a cape cause "Super"Trapp maybe be ready to fly.

As for GNCCer and his new quad I hope the best for him his been having a aweful season hope the new ride changes that if not it will be great to see someone on a YZF raceing with a skirt:D

Hey Jeff I looked at the points in your class for you and your right you don't want to know. On the good side though one more win will lock you in a top 2 spot in the class, but the bad news is you have to have a strong finish to beat Cook. His 10 pts back and one of his races he didn't get any pts in. So this next race will show how tight it is.

Dunlap
08-06-2003, 02:11 PM
So Jeff what do you think a big sponser should do for a top 20 rider and what do you think they would exspect to get back as a return on there investment?

holeshot19
08-06-2003, 02:36 PM
ive only been to one mx national and the thing that sticks out with me about sponcers is every thing is clean and they clean the bikes after the races. and how they have part trucks with actualy parts not just stuff like brake pads and spark plugs. they had rims,tires, bars,nerfs,axles, and all kinds of stuff. i think a riders parts and gear is more noticable in mx. but im a xc guy.as far as bryan cook im allways haraseing him about he getting a big time ride, he says if he could just get a tire deal that would make him happy:)

12gofast
08-06-2003, 03:30 PM
What a sponsor wants in return? He wants a return on his investment.
Good attitude
Good representation
Respect
and Sales Sales Sales!!

You should be representing and promoting the products in every possible way.

popo
08-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Taco
FMF Mathew’s Farm GNCC
Located across the street from the old High Point GNCC, this course features lots of elevation change. You’ll be winding up and down hills all day here. Combine that with a lot of sections that are covered in grass, and you have a tough, slick GNCC course.

To win here, you need to be smart in picking lines. One bad route through a mud hole can cost a lot of time! There are some field sections here that let the rider’s pin it wide open too, so it’s a pretty fun track.

Last year’s winners: ATV: Ballance Bike: Woodford

Directions: From Pittsburgh, take I-79 south to Exit 1 (Morris exit), East 3 miles.

:huh What you talking about willis:huh

I saw that on thier site "Burrito balls":devil:

Look up Taylortown Pa on the map and see where it takes you.

Taco
08-07-2003, 01:12 AM
why do i have to look it up it tells me where to go right there on the website:D

cdalejef
08-07-2003, 01:39 AM
There is Taylortown and Taylorstown! The one the race is at is across the street from Highpoint on the PA/WV line.

cdalejef
08-07-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
So Jeff what do you think a big sponser should do for a top 20 rider and what do you think they would exspect to get back as a return on there investment? Well Mickey I dont really EXPECT anything from any sponsor. But I do consider myself to be a great asset to the few small sponsors that I currently have. Basically what I am saying is I would like to form a working relationship with one or more companies either inside, or outside of the ATV industry that would help defray the cost of racing, while at the same time provide them with product placement, advertising, and valuable feedback about how their product pefrorms under the stess of race conditions.

quadman21
08-07-2003, 04:54 AM
Very carefully put Jeff;) I think your being openly interviewed.

jlhughes750
08-07-2003, 06:53 AM
i hear Ttown has some great hillclimbs and elevation changes, i have never been there but last year, my buddys came home with a burnt clutch and a broken spindle. they showed up at my door around midnight looking like a lost dog begging for a meal. They convinced me to help them wrench to get things fixed for the D6 race the next day. Then they hit the couches while i worked all night!!!!! This year no wrenching for me. I'll be heading home afterwards to race at Back Mnt. near Hazelton Pa. off I81. on sunday for a District 6 Pa state HS championship. any one want to come along let me know i'll hook u up w/ directions.

later, J

cdalejef
08-07-2003, 07:26 AM
I really only remember 1 big hill, but it was pretty muddy so that may be the reason for the burnt clutches. Its a great track, I like it alot better than High Point.

Pappy
08-07-2003, 07:27 AM
yall will have to tell me the REAL deal on these tracks......everytime i ask zracer he sez" you dont wanna run that one it will tear yer purdy quad up":(

im begining to believe im being suckered:devil:

cdalejef
08-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
yall will have to tell me the REAL deal on these tracks......everytime i ask zracer he sez" you dont wanna run that one it will tear yer purdy quad up":(

im begining to believe im being suckered:devil: You are!!!

Admin
08-07-2003, 07:48 AM
I think Pappy is Drinking Again!

I never said "you dont wanna run that one it will tear yer purdy quad up"

The track doesn't have many rocks, but you want alot of ground clearance because the track gets rutted out easily. Big Tires are required. No XCR tires for me anymore there.

WISP and the Iron Man are hard on Quads.

Pappy
08-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin

GUILTY GUILTY:devil: :blah:

465Stroker
08-07-2003, 08:15 AM

The track doesn't have many rocks, but you want alot of ground clearance because the track gets rutted out easily. Big Tires are required. No XCR tires for me anymore there.

Are ya gonna come up and play for the 2nd half? It's no fun being a cherry picker!:eek2:

08-07-2003, 08:25 AM

I ran the ironman last year (1st XC race) with cut fenders, MX suspension, a hangover from hell and had my summer riding gear with me to find out it was like 45 degrees there,,i froze my butt off...:eek2:

Very rough first XC race but i finished in the top 50% of my class and had a good time..lookin forward to goin back. I'll be running the mornin class at this years so i can drink beer and watch the big hill climb in the back...:D

BUCK442
08-07-2003, 08:38 AM
Yea, Pappy come on outta this track is awsome, nothing but rose pedals and grass fields to ride on. Super smooth!:devil:

Admin
08-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Are ya gonna come up and play for the 2nd half? It's no fun being a cherry picker!

OUCH!!:eek:

That really hurts.

Consider me a Cherry Picker/ Sand Bagger, and I am PROUD!

If you were 30, you would be here too:eek:

I might switch back, if they let the 4STK A class on the 3rd Row.

But, I will still be a Vet at Taylortown either way, but I will Run 4stk A Class on Sunday at Back Mountain.

BUCK442
08-07-2003, 08:56 AM
I will be 30 in oct. Still in 4strk A.

465Stroker
08-07-2003, 09:00 AM
OUCH!!:eek:

That really hurts.

Consider me a Cherry Picker/ Sand Bagger, and I am PROUD!

If you were 30, you would be here too:eek:

I might switch back, if they let the 4STK A class on the 3rd Row.

But, I will still be a Vet at Taylortown either way, but I will Run 4stk A Class on Sunday at Back Mountain.

I hate to say it - but I'll be 30 on the 16th of this month... :(

So no excuses old man;)

Does'nt make sence why you would want to come up to the 3rd row - if the 4th is not good enough - since we usually pass the 250A class by the end of the 1st lap anyways...:huh

Sounds like the only chance I will have to bang bars with you is at the districts - guess I better start attending...:blah:

Just bustin ya - It's been a while...:cool:

BUCK442
08-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Hey Stoess ya 30 something to ain't ya. Sorry Bro!
:devil:

465Stroker
08-07-2003, 09:18 AM
I know I am getting fast every year - I guess Harlen must have peaked already...:eek2:

cdalejef
08-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by BUCK442
Hey Stoess ya 30 something to ain't ya. Sorry Bro!
:devil: :tired:

Dunlap
08-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Well, I am not really getting the answers that I was looking for so I will kind of give you a run down of what I am looking at. This time of year, we start putting the budget together for next year and I wanted to get an idea of what some top 4-stroke A riders and Pro Production riders (or even Pro riders) feel that they should be getting as far as sponsorships from tire, wheel, plastic, etc. companies. Right now it costs FST and our other sponsors $7,500 in product and money each GNCC race that we go to to run an 8 man team. Granted, I have very good sponsors but the way the economy is, I expect that they will be cutting back next year. I have spoiled my riders for the past few years and they get a lot of free product but over the past 15 years very few of them have earned their way. The only way we have been able to run a team like this is because we do 8 to 10 magazine articles a year. Each one of them would cost $20,000 to $30,000 if you paid for a cover shot, 2 to 3 color pages inside and a couple pages of black and white. Going to sponsors and showing them that you can get them $200,000 to $300,000 worth of advertising a year shows that they are getting something for their money. Most people may receive a discount from their sponsors but they are still making money off of you and they can justify it by that so I was just trying to get an idea of what riders think they are worth and what they think they do for their sponsors. If you have any more input, I would be glad to listen.

Pappy
08-07-2003, 09:33 AM
cool insight M.D.:D

i know this is a bit different then what you asked...but what does a pro rider make:confused: i thought they didnt make anything or it was very small. i know the bikes get the bucks:scary: and i understand if no dollar amounts are disclosed.

and he is dead on with the advertising dollar.....we get more exposure by wrecking our NASCAR then we do by finishing outside the top 5:ermm:

BUCK442
08-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the details Mr. Dunlap thats is usefull info. I am sponsored by two local honda dealerships and like you said they still make money off me. I would love if they would just help with the cost of travel and entry fees, which would be a substantial boost to my race program. I realize that I am very lucky to have the sponsors that I have and I am proud to run their product and many people are trying to race with no help at all. It makes since that the more assistance we can get that it would only help the sport grow and the competition levels would increase. I do feel that the rider should present a proffesional image and carry themself in that manner both on and off the track. Thanks for helping the sport grow Mr. Dunlap.

Johnny_G
08-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Well, I am not really getting the answers that I was looking for so I will kind of give you a run down of what I am looking at. This time of year, we start putting the budget together for next year and I wanted to get an idea of what some top 4-stroke A riders and Pro Production riders (or even Pro riders) feel that they should be getting as far as sponsorships from tire, wheel, plastic, etc. companies. Right now it costs FST and our other sponsors $7,500 in product and money each GNCC race that we go to to run an 8 man team. Granted, I have very good sponsors but the way the economy is, I expect that they will be cutting back next year. I have spoiled my riders for the past few years and they get a lot of free product but over the past 15 years very few of them have earned their way. The only way we have been able to run a team like this is because we do 8 to 10 magazine articles a year. Each one of them would cost $20,000 to $30,000 if you paid for a cover shot, 2 to 3 color pages inside and a couple pages of black and white. Going to sponsors and showing them that you can get them $200,000 to $300,000 worth of advertising a year shows that they are getting something for their money. Most people may receive a discount from their sponsors but they are still making money off of you and they can justify it by that so I was just trying to get an idea of what riders think they are worth and what they think they do for their sponsors. If you have any more input, I would be glad to listen.

I would be happy to give my opinion...........what exactly do you wanna know?

Dunlap
08-07-2003, 10:18 AM
In order to have a top 5 rider you have to pay them.I'am not going to say how much, but Chad make's money just showing up at a race,but he like's the win money alot better.(Got to keep them motivated)The bike rider's(like Jason Raines)can make a good living racing but the ATV rider's are look down at which realy burn's me because if it were not for the ATV sale's most of the factory' could'nt pay the GNCC bike rider's.By the way Jason is a great example of the pay off you get when you give your racing career 200%. He has been the only person I have seen that realy worked hard and made racing his life night and day literally,he would stay up all night working in my shop and ride all day when I first brought him back here from Washington state to live with me.When it's your dream to become a factory rider that's what it take's and now Barry Hawk has seen what Jason did and look where he is. That's the kind of rider I'am looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wingnut
08-07-2003, 10:56 AM
That's the kind of rider I'am looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see finding that in an ATV racer. I know Jason spends a lot of time working to improve his racing career. But it is his career, he gets paid for it. I don't know of any atv racers who can dedicate that kind of time to race prep. If you and your sponsors cut the team down to just a few riders and paid them as if their job was to race then they would have the time to prepare. Most racers have full time jobs and families to support, another thing that allows Jason to dedicate so much time. I have college that takes my time. I took classes up until the week before Wisp, and with just that one week I was able to get my 4-wheeler and my self more prepared for Wisp than for any of the previous races. I think that is why I won, but I won't have time like that before any more races this year.

Dunlap
08-07-2003, 12:49 PM
OK Johnny your a top 10 Pro rider,tell me what's it going to take for you to ride a FST,Maxxis,Douglas Wheel backed quad next year and when I sit down with the money people what am I going to say to them why you are worth this amount and how are they going to know it's you that's making them this return on this investment.You have to be a marketing tool,how are we going to market you?Why are we going to market you?How many mag. artical's will you get done this year? ect. ect. Oh and have the answer fax to me in the morning:)

joedirt
08-07-2003, 12:54 PM
If sponsors can't give me product. I have no problem buying it from them but for the cost of manufaturing. We are there cheapest form of advertising and I think most of them don't understand that. I just want to be treated fair. Some of my current sponsors do just that but not all

ex kid
08-07-2003, 01:59 PM
i think the reson alot sponsers wont put out more of there product at a lower price or for free to a racer is because they dont realize that most of the pro gncc guys hit local races all the time. they dont realize how many people go to district races that cant go to nationals. my point is when an amatuer gos to a district race and sees a guy running an lrd motor or axis shocks there thinkin, thats what i should run because look how well it works for him.

Dunlap
08-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Joe, I don't mean to dog you but I want to use you to point some thing out, where are your sponsor's? Who are they? How are they getting anything out of sponsoring you? In the morning a 100 people will have read what you said but you missed an opportunity to spread the word about your sponsors. I don't think racers really care if the sponsors profit from them or not. It takes so much time to run a team like I do that I want more than anything else to make sure my sponsors know without question they are getting more than they are putting out. It's 9 pm and I just got a call from Dirt Wheels about doing an article at the end of the break. This means I will be calling 22 people in the morning to get about $5,000 in parts to get this project done in 28 days and ready to shoot. This is what it takes and I am not sure it's really worth it for me to spend all this time. It's difficult to keep track of my time and what I should be making an hour out in the shop but I have a wife that seems to have a pretty good idea that I spend too much time keeping my sponsors happy.

Pappy
08-07-2003, 02:51 PM
mickey you need a trip to hatfield with me and the boyz:bandit:

in your position one can only imagine not only the pressures from sponsors and magazine editors....but from the self imposed pressures successful people put on themselves.

learning to say no...or set the schedule to what will fit in your timetable is what works for me. i manage a multi million dollar a year company...have a PC business on the side...2 kids (7 kids at work:mad: ) and still manage only because i let noone run my life but me. its very hard to get into that way of life but once your there its pretty damn sweet.

as far as the rider not caring? im certain there is those that dont. but i can tell you every contact i have made with regards to pro riders or upper level A class have done nothing but impress me. i get honest answers about the products they use and look forward to thier advice. i can see the concern you have for the people that sponsor you and what you do. and that shows immence character on your part.

i usually walk thru pro row and see all the high dollar machines and elaborate tents.....then i spend the rest of the day wandering the regular riders areas. i see the guys sleeping in thier trucks or in a tent...probly took half a paycheck just to make it to the race...i see the quads that have been to hell and back but held together with determination. i respect them all.

i dont really know what to tell ya other then being at the top of the deck has as many disadvantages as advantages. im sure you will get it all sorted out ...i have faith in ya:)

Admin
08-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Well, Mickey Dunlap. I want to point out a few things to you.

1. ex kid: is exactly that, A young rider that actually is doing extremely well racing a 250EX. He list the people that help him with his quad in his Signature, so thousands of members can see in everyone of his posts, and he doesn't receive anything for free.

I don't think racers really care if the sponsors profit from them or not.

I disagree, Yes, some younger racers might not understand the importance of promoting your sponsors, but most actually do! Take a close look around this site and you see people promoting companies that help them, and they aren't pros either.

It takes so much time to run a team like I do that I want more than anything else to make sure my sponsors know without question they are getting more than they are putting out.

Mickey, I know your business has benefited from sponsoring riders. Brad Macri and Mike Benson, I have seen at races promoting your work to other racers. They actually turned me on to talk to you about your business.

By the way Jason is a great example of the pay off you get when you give your racing career 200%. He has been the only person I have seen that realy worked hard and made racing his life night and day literally,he would stay up all night working in my shop and ride all day when I first brought him back here from Washington state to live with me.When it's your dream to become a factory rider that's what it take's and now Barry Hawk has seen what Jason did and look where he is. That's the kind of rider I'am looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comparing Motorcycle racers to Quad racers isn't a Fair Comparison. The main reason, is that even Bill Ballance couldn't afford to dedicate himself 100% to quads and not work a regular job or have some other form of income. A motocycle guy could make a very comfortable living just riding and practicing all the time. Several pros mx guys make Millions. The work ethic is there for atv racers, but they most support their families or themselves first. In order to buy parts for their quads because even the best racers don't get everything for free.

Finally, Mickey you should be happy because at least I believe you are making a living and supporting your family doing something that I thought you loved to do, which most of the atv community can't and that is including racers. I hope to see this change in the near future, and my goal is for exriders.com to be a place that Racers can promote their sponsors and the sponsors can introduce their new atv products to a huge atv community.

465Stroker
08-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Finding the right person to market is as easy as finding the north star - they will easily SHINE above all others in a group. They will have an ease to them that makes them very approachable to spectators & cameras alike.
You must go the extra effort in helping promote your sponsors above and beyond what is expected from them in your contract – they WILL appreciate it. Get more involved in the industry – An easy example is posting on Exriders – more racers and fans visit this site than you can imagine – I can guaranty that JohnnyG’s fan base is only getting larger every day – And he is not representing his sponsors by winning the GNCC’s - but his is representing his sponsors very well by having a great personality, enthusiasm, and approachability that is very marketable.
Also – you do not need to be a pro racer to receive these benefits. How many times have you seen Mike Penland, Scott Kilby, Adam Howell, Traci Cecco (my wife) in the magazines or videos compared to an “A” Class rider or even mid level pro’s - More and more every year! These racers have that SHINE that makes them very marketable. They may never become a pro racer – but they can pull a huge market share within aftermarket add-ons for sport & utility quads , women’s apparel, etc - for instance.
I feel that telling a sponsor what they can do for you is the easy part – But the ability for a RACER telling his / her sponsors what they can do for them is the stumbling block that will help a potential sponsor separate the professionals from the amateurs…

Mickey - great insight on the BIG picture of the makeup and marketing of a racing team. What are ya going to do about putting a Four Stroke Tech quad on the podium in the morning overalls?

indygncc
08-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the compliment Rick! Maybe Ill be racing in the afternoon with you next year.

Wingnut
08-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 465Stroker
What are ya going to do about putting a Four Stroke Tech quad on the podium in the morning overalls?

Maybe I can help!:macho Does anyone know if the C classes will be put in front of the utilities again this year like they did last year?

popo
08-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I ran the ironman last year (1st XC race) with cut fenders, MX suspension, a hangover from hell and had my summer riding gear with me to find out it was like 45 degrees there,,i froze my butt off...:eek2:

Very rough first XC race but i finished in the top 50% of my class and had a good time..lookin forward to goin back. I'll be running the mornin class at this years so i can drink beer and watch the big hill climb in the back...:D

Good, you can help push me up that big hilllll

465Stroker
08-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by indygncc
Thanks for the compliment Rick! Maybe Ill be racing in the afternoon with you next year.

No problem - Maybe I'll be racing in the morning with you next year!:huh

popo
08-07-2003, 11:00 PM
No problem - Maybe I'll be racing in the morning with you next year!:huh

You better shave them furry legs first mister, if you think your going to be able to race in the womens class.

:D Just wanted to confirm, I am still in yur *** kikin lis?

465Stroker
08-07-2003, 11:03 PM
You better shave them furry legs first, if you think your going to race in the womens class.

:D Just wanted to confirm I am still in yur *** kikin lis.

:scary: :scary: That's 2 strikes - One more and your out!

popo
08-07-2003, 11:11 PM
:scary: :scary: That's 2 strikes - One more and your out!

I thought Jeff had one more than me?

Dunlap
08-08-2003, 01:03 AM
Rick I agree with everything you said but when my phone rings,(and this is what counts)I don't here "hey I talked to your rider so and so" or "hey I see so and so winning races with your motor and I want one".Unless I do an article on them I don't see sales. I use the team riders to bring intrest to the article but with out the article they don't realy earn there keep. Winning races only feeds my ego,but I can do an article on a non winning rider and that puts food on my plate and if you have seen me lately you know I'am not going hungry.:) I'am trying to have fun at this sport and the team can be fun but it's also a full time job and the pay isn't that good.I like doing articles and I see the pay off's but I almost do too many because I create a monster I can't feed,but then again that's why I have a $100,000 race team. You see, sometimes I wonder if I should just run full page ads, it would get me the sales with out the work of running a race team and only do a hand full of articles instead of a truck load. :confused2

ex kid
08-08-2003, 01:55 AM
yea harlen thanks for pointing that out i still have alot to learn. as of now i have no sponsers and the only people that help me out are the people i know at the races.

jlhughes750
08-08-2003, 02:13 AM

i usually walk thru pro row and see all the high dollar machines and elaborate tents.....then i spend the rest of the day wandering the regular riders areas. i see the guys sleeping in thier trucks or in a tent...probly took half a paycheck just to make it to the race...i see the quads that have been to hell and back but held together with determination. i respect them all.

How bout it!!!! i was always one of those guys! Never ever had the $ to look the look with the trailers and team shirts and ez ups and stuff. So it was hard to attract a sponsor. Now that i have a little money i do not have the time to devote night and day to racing like i should... My current sponsor HerrmannRacing.com 215-679-2808 ask for Brad(plug-plug-plug:p ) has suffered from this. We're working on a deal for next year though, i'll run his chassis in the District 6 Harescramble series. Although i am not a National rider, I have been a part of D6 for over 10 years, i have a page in Motorcylce Race Action where i report on race action from D6 and do product reviews. This has generated sales for my sponsor (herrmannracing.com) thats what its all about, if u can prove yourself worthy of generating sales, u will be a great asset to there business regardless of how your performance on the track is. I am currently working on an outside sponsor that (have been for 8 months) will enable me to free up some time to get back into racing 200%. By the time i get everything lined up,bike, mind, body,money i'll most likely have arthritis:ermm: hahahahah

later, J

Pappy
08-08-2003, 02:21 AM
i can see where having a "name" helps a ton. but in this sport its normally the hometown heros that get the bulk of "word of mouth" advertising done. hell i dont even race and get offered deals and parts ...simply because the manufacture or builder knows if i like it i will tell people.

i can remeber being 15 and looking in the magazines and wanting what products i saw in the fancy ads. but i think in todays technological age the perty pictures and well wriiten articles dont have the punch they used to have. anymore it takes around the clock communication with perspective buyers mixed with the traditional advertising to get the job done.

as regard to what a sponsored rider can give his sponsors.....ill leave that up to the pro's. ....but i think the day is coming close to when a pro rider will be expected to get way more involved in advertising then just riding and winning.

WV-V-Force
08-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Is the starting order always women/Super senior then 4stroke stock? If so Im going to be putting my bike back to stock to race in the 4stroke stock class. Does anyone know for sure? thanks

indygncc
08-08-2003, 03:12 AM
"Maybe I'll be racing in the morning with you next year!"

What class are you going to race, Super Senior?:D

indygncc
08-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Stock class should actually be taking off firt at Taylortown, PA.

WV-V-Force
08-08-2003, 03:17 AM
looks like i'll be changing pipes before the race then. I hate to start way back in the pack, i think starting upfront would make a huge difference in the outcome of the race.

indygncc
08-08-2003, 03:31 AM
Yeah it does make a little difference on the overalls. What class have you been racing, Unlimited? Stock class will be alot faster though compared to the further back classes.

WV-V-Force
08-08-2003, 03:43 AM
for now..thats why im looking to moving up some rows...positive i could do alot better if i didnt have to fight thru all the other classes in between...seems like the first two rows run away then there is just road blocks in between and no way to make up the time difference if your stuck in the middle...but id hate to change the pipe back to stock...

indygncc
08-08-2003, 03:48 AM
How have you been doing in unlimited?

WV-V-Force
08-08-2003, 03:53 AM
Id like a shot at an overall spot in the morning but when you have traffic in the back its almost impossible...unless you want to start using the bumper on blockers.

indygncc
08-08-2003, 04:00 AM
Your right, those girls are pretty quick though:D

Admin
08-08-2003, 04:03 AM
Jason, Glad to hear things are working out well for You and Your Sponsors!

indygncc
08-08-2003, 04:04 AM
Its worse though being the first to come up on lappers because they dont know what is going on yet so they kill alot of time. Then everyone behind the overall leader gets through them easier. Id rather take off on the second row simply because of that. But then again I could care less about the overall, last time I checked we didnt get overall plaques.

WV-V-Force
08-08-2003, 04:12 AM
wish we could ride a built quad in the first couple rows! vforce would be nice minus a couple hundred pounds then it would be a real afternoon competitor.

indygncc
08-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Yeah if it were not for the wieght the V would be legit for any class. Sucks though because we have stop for gas, last year on an EX I didnt have to stop. Hope to see you at PA...

WV-V-Force
08-08-2003, 04:19 AM
I wish that was all i had to worry about. On the first lap is what kills me, i usually have to pick thru 3-4 other classes to try to get up front then by that time the first 2 rows leaders have checked out.

WV-V-Force
08-08-2003, 04:21 AM
gas is also another downfall..well i'll see ya there!

WOOLIN
08-08-2003, 04:39 AM
Think about this alot the money that goes to the factory bike guys comes from quad owners. Because they sell 3 times more quads than bikes already. If the factories would put out a little more support towards the quads they would reap even more benefits and we would recieve some as well.

Pappy
08-08-2003, 04:44 AM
id love to know the spectator and racer numbers from the quads to compare them to the bikes.

WOOLIN
08-08-2003, 04:50 AM
id love to know the spectator and racer numbers from the quads to compare them to the bikes.
So would I. T.V. coverage would do wonders for quad racing in general. If 60,000 people go to arena quad mx races out west why not cover it on T.V. that is almost as many as most supercross races.

jlhughes750
08-08-2003, 05:07 AM
Jason, Glad to hear things are working out well for You and Your Sponsors!

You talkin' to me punk????:p
thanks Zracer!!!

That stock class is the most fun i had in 10 years of racing. Now if only that darn Indy GNCC guy would slow down a lil, it would be better. I only ran 2 stock class races this year. NC and Rausch... i got last place starts at both rounds but finished top 5 both races. At Rausch IndyGNCC came in for a pit after introducing himself to the Pa. woods. I gues he bent up the frt. wheels and tierodspretty bad. well his pit was a few minutes long and he still got back out there and walked away with it. I had 4th on the last lap till Travalena got me with a few miles to go. The 400ex is definently the under dog in that class. Yeh, i'd like to see Howell in the Pm race the guy hauls *** thats for sure......

later, J

indygncc
08-08-2003, 05:14 AM
Thanks Jason, maybe we will get to ride together some at PA. I hope to see the afternoon next season, depends on my contract for next year and what Kawi has for next year!;)

countypark
08-08-2003, 07:55 AM
Hey Mickey,

Excellant posts. Keep them coming.

I have a question about the Dirt Wheels Stories. Does FST pay or does Dirt Wheels. If FST pays, how much? If not too personal.

Thanks

Ps. I might hold off until you get the 330's in to order, I decided to wait but I need it before taylorstown.

I'm gonna run the County Park Racing 330EX in the SPORT class.

LaegerTRX250R
08-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Yes this is Blaine...............I have been coming in here since Chris fro National Tire told me about it..........Until now I have only looked.......Thanks for the greetings........By the way, all gncc'ers should check out the wnyoa series in New York or what is is called......Pretty neat tracks........have been going up there a few times the past several years........all woods and not many fields.........I dont really like the easier GNCC'S.

2003 Sponsors: Myself.......

jlhughes750
08-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Blaine, welcome aboard again!!! see u in Ttown..

i raced the Rew wnyoa race in like 97 or 98 we all thought it was a D6 race for points (its in Pa.) it was not our series though it was a misprint. The year i raced the AA class had, myself, Norm Bish,Dave Heider, Dan Destefano, Mike Krachun, it was a long drive but it was a fun race. Alot of D6 guys showed up cause the AMA book had it listed as a D6 event. So the regulars up there were like "who the heck r these clowns"!!!!

later, J

lt250r91
08-08-2003, 10:52 AM
wv-v-force

Switchin to the stock class? I'll try to save you a spot and if you need fueled or anything just let me know.

As for the sponsorship thing goes. I got a great example for you on how it's work for me. When I firsted started dealing with GT Thunder at the being of the season helping me set-up my GasGas for the GNCC series. I was treated as any other Joe Smoe that was buying parts of him. After Lazarus made the a-arms and I started racing the first couple GNCC's and posting pictures and info online at different forums and answering questions. GT has since sold numerous a-arms and other parts for the GasGas he even has sold factory parts to guys and he ain't a dealer. One other guy e-mailed him from overseas wanting the rear shock redone with the longer shaft like I had and Laz shipped the parts to him. After all this Laz is now given me price breaks on his products, I'm able to call him after hours when I'm in a pitch on getting parts or work. All this happen and I never once asked for any special treatment from him and I guess gave my honest opinion on the products I run.

Mickey I've got another example for you. When I called Pro armor about the availablity of a bumper for my quad I told them that I was talking to Bill Balance at the last GNCC and ask him how he liked his and if he knew if they were doing or going to do anything for the GasGas quads and his answer was contact pro armor and find out.

How many times have you had people call up and aske for the Chad Duvall 500ex kit because they talked to him at a race or saw him racing it?

Santo DeRisi
08-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Hello Everyone!

Hello Mickey Dunlap!

Good to see you around!

Pappy
08-08-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Santo DeRisi
Hello Everyone!

Hello Mickey Dunlap!

Good to see you around!

no way big daddy:D gives us your 2 cents on what mickey asked and about the atv/bike issue:macho :blah:

Admin
08-08-2003, 04:59 PM
I love the Van Etton, NY race at the End of August. I have race there the past couple of Years. This year I can't because of a Birthday party. Van Etton is one of my Favorite Tracks, and it is very tight. I always clip atleast one tree every year.

Pappy
08-08-2003, 05:05 PM
I always clip atleast one tree every year.

ONE!!!!!!!:eek:

if i could get a log splitter hitched to that suki id start sellin fire wood:devil:

Admin
08-08-2003, 05:20 PM
if i could get a log splitter hitched to that suki id start sellin fire wood

That just isn't Right!

Santo DeRisi
08-08-2003, 05:24 PM
no way big daddy:D gives us your 2 cents on what mickey asked and about the atv/bike issue:macho :blah:

What is the question that he asked.

Sorry i am new to this!

Pappy
08-08-2003, 05:27 PM
i wont speak for mr. dunlap....but basically he was asking what pro riders expect from a major sponsor......and in return what a major sponsor should expect to get from that rider.

Santo DeRisi
08-08-2003, 05:58 PM
i wont speak for mr. dunlap....but basically he was asking what pro riders expect from a major sponsor......and in return what a major sponsor should expect to get from that rider.

Well for return:
Companies want to see FULL dedication to the sport. They expect you to promote their products and company in a professional manner.

On what pro's are going to expect is hard to say.
It is going to depend on weather it is a FULL sponsorship or something partial.

Like if it was a motor sponsor then i would expect my motors to be in top condition for every race. If it was not then there is a chance that something might happen and that will reflect bad on the motor builder.

None of the above paragraphs are directed to Mickey Dunlap or his company at ALL!!!!

It would be the same for a suspension sponsor, or frame sponsor, etc......

That is some of my 2 cents.... :)

Pappy
08-08-2003, 06:11 PM
santo.....do the people you sponsor help your sales to the point that they "earn thier keep"? i mean as far as providing infomation about your products and services.

and do you feel its worthwhile to continue escalating the cost of sponsorships for the return on your investment(the sponsored rider) or is money better spent say advertising only?

sorry for the questions...thats what we do around here:D

btw...mickey...you will be getting the "package" back early in the week...all done and lookin pretty sweet;) :p

Santo DeRisi
08-08-2003, 06:34 PM
santo.....do the people you sponsor help your sales to the point that they "earn thier keep"? i mean as far as providing infomation about your products and services.

and do you feel its worthwhile to continue escalating the cost of sponsorships for the return on your investment(the sponsored rider) or is money better spent say advertising only?

sorry for the questions...thats what we do around here:D

btw...mickey...you will be getting the "package" back early in the week...all done and lookin pretty sweet;) :p

My sponsored riders are very dedicated and represent my company very professionally.

My sponsored riders are my advertising. They wear my pit shirts, run my stickers, and do very well, and that is my advertising.

You have to have good riders to help represent your products. I think that people need to see companies products in action and doing well to help prove that you have good products and services.

Admin
08-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Great Discussion on the Topic!:)

MEL
08-09-2003, 01:48 AM
I love the Van Etton, NY race at the End of August. I have race there the past couple of Years. Van Etton is one of my Favorite Tracks, and it is very tight. I always clip atleast one tree every year.
if you think that track is tight, you should come up and race a couple of the tight tracks. maybe we'll see ya next spring at their race.

Pappy
08-09-2003, 02:07 AM
thx santo:D

mel...have you ever seen harlen:huh :blah:

660bigdaddy
08-09-2003, 02:55 AM
sorry to hear your not going to make van etten zracer. i was looking forward to a little preview of what's to come at taylortown.:D me getting my butt kicked in the vet class:confused2 last year chris borich and his gang showed up along w/ zracer. it was great for our series to see guys that run the nationals run w/ us... tj barrett and brian shmidt frequent our series when the gncc's is off.

atvchik
08-09-2003, 02:58 AM
Are there any women posting in here that are racing at Taylortown?
This is going to be my first race and I could use some tip's.

lshonda310
08-09-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by atvchik
Are there any women posting in here that are racing at Taylortown?
This is going to be my first race and I could use some tip's.

TLC ususally visits

cdalejef
08-09-2003, 03:30 AM
Yep....Traci Cecco (TLC) would be a great one to talk to! Send her a PM.

atvchik
08-09-2003, 03:46 AM
i will do that...thanks!

look's like alot of the people you sponsor ride Cannondales...
there is a deal at our local dealer buy one get one free.

cdalejef
08-09-2003, 03:53 AM
Ya, thats what someone told me yesterday. I'm gonna give them a call! Look for TheQuadShop trailer in Taylortown, we will help you out anyway that we can! Even do pit work for you!

thanks

MEL
08-09-2003, 04:51 AM
thx santo:D

mel...have you ever seen harlen:huh :blah:
yeah, talked to him at last years van etten summer race. i thought it was funny that he was still tighten things up on the z at the track. he was selling fire wood, cut and split.:)

Dunlap
08-09-2003, 05:02 AM
Thanks Pappy,I will try to get your name in the article.The Z400 parts will go in ATV Rider and now Dirt Wheels will be doing a shoot out with Chads new 500ex (the blue frame) and a 470 YFZ. At the very least you will know its your fine work in the mags. Thanks again for the fast turn around.

rowlrag
08-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Actually, I don't. After throwouts I think it is very close! I'm to scared to add them up.:(
Bryan Cook is extremely fast!

Actually I'm more concearned about getting the highest possible overall number for next year so I have a shot at hooking some big sponsers. Its a big help when you have a reserved pit spot in the top 20 pro row. :cuss:

rowlrag
08-09-2003, 07:40 PM
I think Mickey needs a vacation. Stickers and t-shirts are probly 1 of the best advertisements, everybody loves cool lookin stickers. Most sales go to the local racers and backyard bashers, thats where I think most money is made on sales, if you look at how many people race GNCC's every race versus other series and district races, I think GNCC is the looser. Allthough it is the highest ranked series. Mickey, I feel the best thing you could do is cut back, and help more people with less than a few with alot. Word of mouth is the best ad. And cool stickers!

Striker49
08-09-2003, 08:00 PM
I feel small and inadequate now...all these pros whoring the board now. Youve been busy callin people havent ya Harlen. :blah:

I didnt get a chance to read up the whole topic, but it looks like a good turnout..just like every GNCC.

Whats the closest GNCC race to West KY? Loretta Lynn's I guess?
Ill have to do some researching. Im fixin to buy a 416ex and I think It'd be fun to get out there and ride, ive wanted to for years and never had the quad to do it...plus I wanna laugh at Rob when I pass him while he's eating a tree and breaking stuff. Ill have to see what all it takes to get out there. But Im not sure if having Jeff, Marty, Rowling, and Richeson in one pit is a good thing...ok, its not. Been there, seen that... :uhoh:

Also, I have a big Photoshop project coming up for a member on here. He wants a big flashy, racy logo that he could use to possibly sponsor quad racers, put on trucks, on race trailers, etc... Something showing that its a website too.
What all do you look for in a company logo? What catches your eye the most? What do you like most about logos and what do you not like to see?

Good to see some of you top pros visiting here and hope to talk with you and see you round the board more often. :)

Thx for any help. :D

400exmom
08-10-2003, 01:08 AM
Ya, thats what someone told me yesterday. I'm gonna give them a call! Look for TheQuadShop trailer in Taylortown, we will help you out anyway that we can! Even do pit work for you!

thanks im goin to the crawfordsville gncc if ya gonna be there im lookin for you ! ill be solo and in unknown territory maybe ya can show me the ropes out there? or where i sign up anyway;) kim

cdalejef
08-10-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by 400exmom
im goin to the crawfordsville gncc if ya gonna be there im lookin for you ! ill be solo and in unknown territory maybe ya can show me the ropes out there? or where i sign up anyway;) kim You got it! We will be there friday afternoon and camping out. Can't miss us, big white trailer with TheQuadShop on the side.

Dunlap
08-10-2003, 02:07 AM
Rowlrag I think you have given the best answer yet. Yes I do need a vacation or at least more time away from FST. I have enough buiness so why have a big race team! The bottom line is big name racers don't sell products,your product sells it's self if it's good.The old saying" win on Sunday sell on Monday" isn't the way it is anymore,word of mouth is more important. I just read a very good artical last night talking about this very same thing. We need to race to do the R&D on the products but we don't have to have the best rider out there to do that,in fact if you have a problem like we did last year at High Point everyone see's it. It's not that it's bad to blow a motor every so often,I beleive it's just like if you don't crash every now and then your not going fast enough,the same way with motor building if you don't blow one every now and then your not finding it's breaking point, but we don't need to be on TV showing that. Just think about Billy breaking his chain at the Wisp, that not going to be good for his chain sponsor when thats on Speed TV. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I thank everyone for there input.

400exmom
08-10-2003, 02:49 AM
You got it! We will be there friday afternoon and camping out. Can't miss us, big white trailer with TheQuadShop on the side. SWEET! it will be nice to meet you and some of the group if they go- ill be the girl w/ long hair thats walking around lookin lost and skeerd;) a ktm dirtbike guy talked me into it same guy that got me hooked on those moose race's he goes every year to crawfordsville and said id love it- i will go friday afternoon also then and go look at everything (track and such) but not much fer campin so i suppose i should line up a room for friday probably cant wait c-ya then!

bradley300
08-10-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Striker49

Also, I have a big Photoshop project coming up for a member on here. He wants a big flashy, racy logo that he could use to possibly sponsor quad racers, put on trucks, on race trailers, etc... Something showing that its a website too.
What all do you look for in a company logo? What catches your eye the most? What do you like most about logos and what do you not like to see?

Good to see some of you top pros visiting here and hope to talk with you and see you round the board more often. :)

Thx for any help. :D

stryker, i like FST logo/banner. lots of bright colors and good contrasting colors, more complex the most. i like tc racings also, very east to see, recognizable, yet simple in color and design.

bradley300
08-10-2003, 03:50 AM
4ooex mom, you might want to get to the crawfordsville race early and just wait for the trailer at the entrance gate. parking is spread over about a 3 forty square mile mud infested cornfields.

but the pay off is worth it, there are many that have yet to find the elusive quadshop trailer.

rowlrag
08-10-2003, 04:00 AM
SWEET! it will be nice to meet you and some of the group if they go- ill be the girl w/ long hair thats walking around lookin lost and skeerd;) a ktm dirtbike guy talked me into it same guy that got me hooked on those moose race's he goes every year to crawfordsville and said id love it- i will go friday afternoon also then and go look at everything (track and such) but not much fer campin so i suppose i should line up a room for friday probably cant wait c-ya then!
You can stay in the trailer with us, I gotta small air mattress for 2!:rolleyes:

Striker49
08-10-2003, 04:46 AM
Trust me 400exmom, once you see rico, jeff, marty, and rowlraq, you will not want to even be round em at night. :uhoh:

400exmom
08-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Trust me 400exmom, once you see rico, jeff, marty, and rowlraq, you will not want to even be round em at night. :uhoh: someone mention'd me campin at the hatfield outing.. thats freakin scary thought- lotsa guys lotsa beer lotsa testostrone- bad idea for mom to be in the middle of dat chit! thanks for the waring but i was plannin on gettin my own room friday;)

08-10-2003, 05:18 AM
parking is spread over about a 3 forty square mile mud infested cornfields.

Actually they were soy bean field last year not corn fileds. Get your facts right!

bradley300
08-10-2003, 07:25 AM
oops! whatever, cars everywhere!

cdalejef
08-10-2003, 09:47 AM
someone mention'd me campin at the hatfield outing.. thats freakin scary thought- lotsa guys lotsa beer lotsa testostrone- bad idea for mom to be in the middle of dat chit! thanks for the waring but i was plannin on gettin my own room friday;) I don't drink!:D

rowlrag
08-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Trust me 400exmom, once you see rico, jeff, marty, and rowlraq, you will not want to even be round em at night. :uhoh: Thanks alot....:cuss:

quadman21
08-11-2003, 01:01 AM
Hey Santo! Welcome to exriders. It's about time you showed yourself around here. Now you can help all these boys out with their suspension problems.
(matthew east Mid East #21)

08-11-2003, 01:30 AM
i was plannin on gettin my own room friday;)

:uhoh:

(KN)GNCC91
08-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Hopefully will make it there,only about 4.5 hrs away. I had my best race there last year,10th in pro 19th overall. Since I'm moonlighting the series I will probably run vet, I turned 30 this year & I have a couple of gray hairs. Maybe I will see you there.Kevin

JoeShmoe
08-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Sponsorship:

Sponsorship means different things to different people. The can be as many different definitions of sponsorship as there are people. The ways that stand out to me are as follows.

To the business involved:

1. It can be a means of advertising. Several ways that it can work as advertising are.

A. Exposure - Just getting the name, logo, or brand in the customers eyes constantly can act as a powerful sales tool.

B. Sponsored riders promoting the product or brand to those they are in contact with is another effective means of advertising.

C. Seeing a sponsored rider win with a given product is also an effective means of advertising but is by far the least effective of these ways of advertising.

2. Sponsorship is also other things to company owners. Several are as follows.

A. An ego trip - Many companies get caught in this one after they have tried the advertising route, but find the ego boost irresistible and continue to sponsor more and more even when it is bad business and a poor return on their advertising dollar.

B. Another similar scenario is the company who tries sponsorship as a means of advertising and then feels a commitment to the riders year after year whether it is good for the business or not.

(Most sponsorship that I see starts out as good business practice, but later falls into one of these two categories.)

C. Another version is a successful company that just likes to be involved with a sport of some kind - to them it is simply an expensive hobby.

3. Another form of (so called) sponsorship is the company that agrees to sponsor a rider (or usually as many riders as will fall for this trickery) in the form of a small discount and asks the rider to commit either verbally or on contract to purchase all their parts from them. This is just a means of selling more product (still at a profit) and use trickery to buy their customers loyalty instead of using reasonable prices and great service along with integrity to keep their loyalty. These same companies many underhanded means to keep those (so called sponsored riders. Some have sent a bill for the discounts that they have given after they caught the customer purchasing product elsewhere. Many have threatened to cancel their sponsorship and other tactics to keep their customers. These tactics work on many riders but eventually most of them see thru this sham and those companies have a big turnover of sponsored riders with no real long term satisfied customers.

4. Some companies use sponsored riders to test their product in actual races because they are either to lazy or do not have the finances and expertise to test the product in private. Most of the time this has good initial results in bringing in new customers but looses many when there is a problem with the product. This looses many potential customers even when the product is upgraded later. This practice has been responsible for many nicknames being attached to certain companies and individuals. Many times these companies demand of the riders either by contract or verbally that bad results on product be kept a secret. This puts the rider in a bad position in regards to honest evaluation of a product to potential customers when asked about a product.

5. Another practice that is becoming more prevalent is for a company to sell their product directly to the rider at distributor price. This bypasses the dealer and distributor and gets the product into the riders hands at a discount, and gets the company essentially free advertising as they are still getting the same price as if they sold to the distributor. This is good for the rider and the company but causes ill will with the main people marketing the product (the dealer and distributor).

To the rider:

Sponsorship usually means free or cheaper product. And to a few extra cash in their pocket. To most riders it stops there. There are very few riders who really care what it does for the company other then in how it effects the rider. This is not a bad thing, its just business. Yes there are a few riders who have a friend in business and they really do care how it all effects them and that's great. For those of you who disagree - look at this forum and others and look how many times people ask how to get sponsorship - aaahhh - I think it is to get parts cheaper or free - remember this is not bad. The quicker a company realizes this, and accepts this fact, the quicker they can make educated decisions about sponsorship and how to make it work for them.

At certain levels of any sport, companies will find riders that are in demand and they may need to give free product as well as pay (sometimes substantial amounts) for a rider to represent their product. When a business relationship like this is managed correctly - all parties can benefit from it.

A few words of advice to riders:

1. Kiss up to your sponsors.
2. Promote their product not their discounts or free product to you.
3. Kiss up to your sponsors.
4. Stay in touch with your sponsors.
5. Kiss up to your sponsors.
6. Send your sponsors photos.
7. Kiss up to your sponsors.
8. Call your sponsors with results (whether good or bad) not excuses.
9. Did I mention “Kiss up to your sponsors” - they all have an ego - play to it - just don't make it too obvious. Treat them like a friend, respect their business hours, never but never criticize or bad mouth them. When you call them or stop by - keep it short - they are not able to run a successful business while you are taking their time. Make them proud to be associated with you and next year they will want to maintain the sponsorship and may even increase it. You the sponsored rider are a salesman - not only of their product but also of yourself to them.
10. Most important - get sponsors outside of this industry - I have helped a few guys get cash sponsorships - $200.00 - $500.00 each just to advertise on their bike and on their trailer. These sponsors don't demand that you win but simply want to see their name out there. One man whose son races a mini quad and never won went out on a Saturday and came home with $2000.00 cash. At the beginning of this season all those sponsors gave him the same amount or more with a smile.

JoeShmoe
08-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Holeshott19 Quote

ive only been to one mx national and the thing that sticks out with me about sponcers is every thing is clean and they clean the bikes after the races. and how they have part trucks with actualy parts not just stuff like brake pads and spark plugs. they had rims,tires, bars,nerfs,axles, and all kinds of stuff. i think a riders parts and gear is more noticable in mx. but im a xc guy.as far as bryan cook im allways haraseing him about he getting a big time ride, he says if he could just get a tire deal that would make him happy

Trackside support at the GNC races by many companies is great for the riders but very expensive for the companies - go back a few years and you will find that many companies only do it for a few years unless they race themselves or are paid to do it. I know of one company that is paid by the rider to do it. I know of one company that is paid by a major sponsor for this service. To any rider who receives track side support - love it while you have it and appreciate the time and money that it takes to make it happen.

Jeff@TheQuadShop Quote

Well Mickey I dont really EXPECT anything from any sponsor. But I do consider myself to be a great asset to the few small sponsors that I currently have. Basically what I am saying is I would like to form a working relationship with one or more companies either inside, or outside of the ATV industry that would help defray the cost of racing, while at the same time provide them with product placement, advertising, and valuable feedback about how their product pefrorms under the stess of race conditions.

Your answer is clearly influenced by the fact that you are on both side of the fence - both sponsor and sponsored. Your comment of establishing a “working relationship” is on the money - when a good working relationship is established - then and only then do both the sponsor and sponsored benefit and make it possible for both parties to take it to a higher level. Remember if you sponsor is not making a profit - he cannot stay in business and in return have the advertising money to help you.

EX Kid Quote

i think the reson alot sponsers wont put out more of there product at a lower price or for free to a racer is because they dont realize that most of the pro gncc guys hit local races all the time. they dont realize how many people go to district races that cant go to nationals. my point is when an amatuer gos to a district race and sees a guy running an lrd motor or axis shocks there thinkin, thats what i should run because look how well it works for him.

One thing a company must look at is - who is their target market? If it is a high priced product that only the serious racers will purchase - then it is a bad business decision to give the product to the main customer base (the serious racer) since the local rider John Doe will not purchase a $1500.00 widget for his bike. Who should be sponsored is different for every product and price range.

Mickey Dunlap Quote

Joe, I don't mean to dog you but I want to use you to point some thing out, where are your sponsor's? Who are they? How are they getting anything out of sponsoring you? In the morning a 100 people will have read what you said but you missed an opportunity to spread the word about your sponsors. I don't think racers really care if the sponsors profit from them or not. It takes so much time to run a team like I do that I want more than anything else to make sure my sponsors know without question they are getting more than they are putting out. It's 9 pm and I just got a call from Dirt Wheels about doing an article at the end of the break. This means I will be calling 22 people in the morning to get about $5,000 in parts to get this project done in 28 days and ready to shoot. This is what it takes and I am not sure it's really worth it for me to spend all this time. It's difficult to keep track of my time and what I should be making an hour out in the shop but I have a wife that seems to have a pretty good idea that I spend too much time keeping my sponsors happy.

Your comment about the riders not caring if the sponsors profit from them or not is true with most riders and any company that can find a way to profit from those riders will go a long way. A good example is - Look how many Kaw 700s were sold due to the contingency program - they have found a way to get the riders who look out for themselves only, to buy a lot of quads. Team Green has been very successful in their programs over the years. On their 2 wheelers, they would have needed serious improvements in performance and reliability to sell as many bikes as they have. I have worked with Team Green riders when some new models were clearly inferior to their competition but they still looked good because of who rode them. My hats of to Kawasaki for using their Team Green program as a very successful marketing tool in a very professional manner.

Pappy Quote

in your position one can only imagine not only the pressures from sponsors and magazine editors....but from the self imposed pressures successful people put on themselves.

learning to say no...or set the schedule to what will fit in your timetable is what works for me. i manage a multi million dollar a year company...have a PC business on the side...2 kids (7 kids at work ) and still manage only because i let noone run my life but me. its very hard to get into that way of life but once your there its pretty damn sweet.

I have a passion for this industry and believe Mickey Dunlap does too. And it does run my life. Thanks for your comments. It is an eye opener and I hope that my future decisions will change the fact that it does run my life - but I never want to loose the passion for it.

Another Pappy quote

as far as the rider not caring? im certain there is those that dont. but i can tell you every contact i have made with regards to pro riders or upper level A class have done nothing but impress me. i get honest answers about the products they use and look forward to thier advice. i can see the concern you have for the people that sponsor you and what you do. and that shows immence character on your part.

There are a few riders who represent their sponsors well, but only do so for business reasons - that is fine and a sign of a true professional. When a top ten rider (you will have to guess who it is) has a serious problem with a product and the general public never finds out and he and his sponsor work on correcting the problem behind the scene - that is a great “working relationship” as Jeff mentioned.

Mickey Dunlaps Quote

Rowlrag I think you have given the best answer yet. Yes I do need a vacation or at least more time away from FST. I have enough buiness so why have a big race team! The bottom line is big name racers don't sell products,your product sells it's self if it's good.The old saying" win on Sunday sell on Monday" isn't the way it is anymore,word of mouth is more important. I just read a very good artical last night talking about this very same thing. We need to race to do the R&D on the products but we don't have to have the best rider out there to do that,in fact if you have a problem like we did last year at High Point everyone see's it. It's not that it's bad to blow a motor every so often,I beleive it's just like if you don't crash every now and then your not going fast enough,the same way with motor building if you don't blow one every now and then your not finding it's breaking point, but we don't need to be on TV showing that. Just think about Billy breaking his chain at the Wisp, that not going to be good for his chain sponsor when thats on Speed TV. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I thank everyone for there input.

Word of mouth advertising is the most powerful medium there is - both good and bad. I have sponsored a very fast rider for many years with poor results, while at the same time I have had satisfied customers send me a ton of new, good customers. If the riders do not have a positive influence then the entire program needs to be evaluated. Everything from customer service, to customer satisfaction, to price to turn around time. I am speaking from experience here. And from experience that comes from doing the wrong things. Another thing - what product is a company promoting?? Is it affordable?? Maybe its the best but only a few people are willing to spend that much for it. One company that I work for has a serious problem with this. If I call as any John Doe would, I am treated as if they were doing me a favor. Everyone wants to be treated as if they were important. This same company lost many sales for this reason.

JoeShmoe
08-17-2003, 02:27 PM
465Stroker Quote

Finding the right person to market is as easy as finding the north star - they will easily SHINE above all others in a group. They will have an ease to them that makes them very approachable to spectators & cameras alike.
You must go the extra effort in helping promote your sponsors above and beyond what is expected from them in your contract – they WILL appreciate it. Get more involved in the industry – An easy example is posting on Exriders – more racers and fans visit this site than you can imagine – I can guaranty that JohnnyG’s fan base is only getting larger every day – And he is not representing his sponsors by winning the GNCC’s - but his is representing his sponsors very well by having a great personality, enthusiasm, and approachability that is very marketable.
Also – you do not need to be a pro racer to receive these benefits. How many times have you seen Mike Penland, Scott Kilby, Adam Howell, Traci Cecco (my wife) in the magazines or videos compared to an “A” Class rider or even mid level pro’s - More and more every year! These racers have that SHINE that makes them very marketable. They may never become a pro racer – but they can pull a huge market share within aftermarket add-ons for sport & utility quads , women’s apparel, etc - for instance.
I feel that telling a sponsor what they can do for you is the easy part – But the ability for a RACER telling his / her sponsors what they can do for them is the stumbling block that will help a potential sponsor separate the professionals from the amateurs…

Mickey - great insight on the BIG picture of the makeup and marketing of a racing team. What are ya going to do about putting a Four Stroke Tech quad on the podium in the morning overalls?

Right on the money - also what you do for your sponsor - not just what you promise them will have a great effect on a good “working relationship”

In Closing

My hats off to a few people and a few companies that SHINE in something important.

Johnny C. - Represent your sponsors well.
Mickey Dunlap - taking the time to talk to the little guy on a forum like this.
Mickey Dunlap - An example of advertising that works.
465Stroker and Jeff@thequadshop - For your constant drive for the betterment of this sport and of practicing my motto “Good luck is the result of good planning”
Harlen - Integrity - Also good luck with this site.
Pappy - For being that on this site - I don't have the patience for many of the kids like you do.

Pappy
08-17-2003, 02:30 PM
:eek:

440ex4me has met his match:devil:

joeshmo....who the hell are ya:p

08-17-2003, 02:36 PM

I aint telling :cool:

MEL
08-17-2003, 02:36 PM

joeshmo, do you have any fingers left?

chad duvall
08-17-2003, 05:19 PM
replying to what I have just let my wife read on sponsorships and at a pro level gives and needs she says she could write you all a book clear back from the so called days of my earlier sponsored years to now, But short and sweet to the point I am in it for the love of the sport or I would of quit while I was ahead(before I started). I do have a family and a regular job and to top that off a very talented motorcycle racing son that I have to and willingly give 200% of my time to. No we dont get what they get(motorcycle guys) but hopefully with what changes we have seen in the past year(4strokes ruling) there is a rainbow insight! Thanks supertrapp for your comments! I am a very loyal racer to my sponsors and support them in selling the product too. No I may not have the 200% down to a tee yeat but the points dont lye. Insight lost for the love of the sport!
Hey Santo did you see my boy at Big Bucks district race? Glad to see your input too! Congrats on a great racing season so far for you!
Thanks Chad

rowlrag
08-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Good to see the bigger names come around. Good luck to you Chad, Santo and Johnny G.

Santo DeRisi
08-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by chad duvall
replying to what I have just let my wife read on sponsorships and at a pro level gives and needs she says she could write you all a book clear back from the so called days of my earlier sponsored years to now, But short and sweet to the point I am in it for the love of the sport or I would of quit while I was ahead(before I started). I do have a family and a regular job and to top that off a very talented motorcycle racing son that I have to and willingly give 200% of my time to. No we dont get what they get(motorcycle guys) but hopefully with what changes we have seen in the past year(4strokes ruling) there is a rainbow insight! Thanks supertrapp for your comments! I am a very loyal racer to my sponsors and support them in selling the product too. No I may not have the 200% down to a tee yeat but the points dont lye. Insight lost for the love of the sport!
Hey Santo did you see my boy at Big Bucks district race? Glad to see your input too! Congrats on a great racing season so far for you!
Thanks Chad

Hey man whats up??? Thad was smoking at the race!!! I hate that you didn't get to come! Do you think that you will ever get to some race a local with us down here? I know it is a long drive! Congrats to you at a good season too!!! I would like to post more but the typing has been bothering my wrists and forarms :( Let me know if you need anymore footpegs or anything! I guess i will see you at PA in a few weeks!

Santo DeRisi
08-17-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Good to see the bigger names come around. Good luck to you Chad, Santo and Johnny G.

Thank You!! Good luck to everyone else on here too!

cdalejef
08-18-2003, 01:56 AM
Hey man whats up??? Thad was smoking at the race!!! I hate that you didn't get to come! Do you think that you will ever get to some race a local with us down here? I know it is a long drive! Congrats to you at a good season too!!! I would like to post more but the typing has been bothering my wrists and forarms :( Let me know if you need anymore footpegs or anything! I guess i will see you at PA in a few weeks! LOL.....I've never heard of anyone getting arm pump from typing!:eek2:

Santo DeRisi
08-18-2003, 02:01 AM
LOL.....I've never heard of anyone getting arm pump from typing!:eek2:

Its not arm pump it is carpel tunnel syndrom. I am sure that you have heard of it.

cdalejef
08-18-2003, 02:53 AM
Sorry :(

08-18-2003, 06:31 AM

quit being mean Jeffy:grr:

jlhughes750
08-18-2003, 06:33 AM
Hey!!! who started this thread anyway???????:)

I just got a great new deal, lookin forward to getting back in the swing of things soon, maybe by T-town we'll have the new bike done.

Hey i know this threads about T-town, but since u want to talk about sponsorship!!!!! Chad, Johnny,Santo,HARLEN, Bill, Chris etc.etc.etc. These are big name guys that attract alot of attention and alot of recognition for there sponsors. They all do a great job of it, and i'm not taking anything away from them.. There are alot of names u might not ever hear that are getting the same deals and doing as much if not more for there sponsors.... what do u think???????

later, J

I've been MIA for a week, wife was in labor then out, then in then outetc.etc.etc.......... still no baby!!!!

Santo DeRisi
08-18-2003, 06:41 AM

No big deal! :)

Wingnut
08-18-2003, 10:48 AM
Its not arm pump it is carpel tunnel syndrom.

Racing hasn't even started back and he's already making up excuses. :uhoh::rolleyes: :blah:

Striker49
08-18-2003, 12:16 PM
LOL.....I've never heard of anyone getting arm pump from typing!:eek2:

Santo, Jeffro is just a smartass...dont let him mess with ya...get him back with something better. :blah:

BTW, where are the GNCC races airing this year? :mad: I cant find em. Ive looked on OLN, heard Speed Channel was hosting...I dunno whats up...im confused...lmao. I didnt miss a race last season, loved every "episode".

Thx in advance. :)

cdalejef
08-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Mental note to self.......Striker moves up 5 spots on the *** kicking list.

Striker49
08-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Mental note to self.......Striker moves up 5 spots on the *** kicking list.

Didnt you do this the other day? Where does that put me? #38? :uhoh:

Youve gotta catch me first though.... lmao...no more 250. :blah:

cdalejef
08-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Didnt you do this the other day? Where does that put me? #38? :uhoh:

Youve gotta catch me first though.... lmao...no more 250. :blah: Ya, I heard you got a Blaster!

Striker49
08-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Ya, I heard you got a Blaster!

Smart ***... :rolleyes:

:blah: We only pick on ya b/c you can take it...lmao. :p

Santo DeRisi
08-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Wingnut
Racing hasn't even started back and he's already making up excuses. :uhoh::rolleyes: :blah:

Listen here Wingnut!!! :grr:

Santo DeRisi
08-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Santo, Jeffro is just a smartass...dont let him mess with ya...get him back with something better. :blah:

BTW, where are the GNCC races airing this year? :mad: I cant find em. Ive looked on OLN, heard Speed Channel was hosting...I dunno whats up...im confused...lmao. I didnt miss a race last season, loved every "episode".

Thx in advance. :)

Its all good! :D

I am not sure yet they sure have been dragging about the shows. I haven't heard anything yet.
Sorry....

ranger400ex
08-19-2003, 05:28 AM
Just a little more food for thought from your local "john doe". I have been very proud to have the sponsors I have an help them in anyway. Maybe a little info on myself would help.

I am a 26year old male who has been married for 8 months(dated same girl for 9 years), own my house, paid for my college and cars through work, never handed a thing and have worked for all that I have. I manage this with 3 jobs ( 1 full 45hrs, 1part 12hrs, and 1 self business) and alot of hard work from myself. My one true passion is ATVing and along with that racing any events possible GNCC, Dist HS. I enjoy the competition and meeting all the new people. In the last 24months I have had the awesome privellage of meeting some of what I consider to be the best in the business (no offense to any not mentoned as they deserve credit too!!)
-Quadshop(Jeff, John, Marty) These guys have been superb in getting last minute parts, offering advice, taking advice, and doing what they do best...offering a killer service.
-GCD Products (Jim Geraci) alot of you know Jim as "Tinner" on this site..he has slowly been getting his name out there for his aluminum products...scoops, airboxes, radiator guards. This man has some really sweet products along with the best customer service. If you have a problem with one of his products...telll him...he will listen, respond, and do what it takes to make it right. This is the reason I have been so happy...Jim worked with me on making the Cdale product line, and tweaking on the EX, Z, Predator, and soon to be out for the GG and YFZ. Definitely says alot for a guy that does this as a side job while still mainting building a new house, a family, along with a strenous full time job.
-Lewis Suzuki..what can I say, but Keith Lewis has taken a chance on me, even giving me a job as the ATV tech for the Z, and GG guys that come in along with any Cdale questions. I know he is my part-time employer and boss, but Keith has never hesitated to stay late, or come over to help get me or the other guys I race with ready.
-AUTOGRAFIX Mark Mcallister has been a big help by getting me the stickers for the trailer, and Quad, along with misc parts for the hauler. He also helped me work on getting GCD's logo designed and vinlyl printed for their stickers on products.
-Goodrige Indy- Bryan has done alot of work on getting me hooked up with brake lines for custom work, fuel hosing, radiatior lines etc. He even pulled an all nighter building up all the hosing for my old 400ex the night before a big race (brakelines, oil-lines, fuel hoses)
-and last but definitely not least
Maslanik Motorsports/ACE Racing/Southbay
Steve Maslanik, Karl Moore have done alot to help me (and countless others) keeping the Dales up, running,and getting parts, while the winged horse took its toll. Without them I would probably be riding an lesser machine..and they might be sitting in the desert with a dead bike. Good to see all the work is paying off with Dale getting their new owners!!

Sorry for the long one guys, but wanted to show that even to us weekend warriors..sponsors...no matter how big or how small make all the difference in the world, and it is up to all of us to give them their due. You can put my name to any of the above and they know where I stand, why I use them, and that they are broadcast all the time to other riders, racers, etc, because in my mind they have done the world for me..for which $$ will never repay. The other thing to remember is that sponsorship is not about getting stuff for free, it is about a relationship. I do not expect free, or even a discount. The only thing I really look for is quality, service, and a good ear. Any discounts are just a perk, and those are between them and me.

To all you above, Keep up the great work, and thanks for taking the time on a box boy racer like myself, you guys are the reason that ATVing is making its stand, and encouraging new riders.

Ben M. Wrightsman

08-19-2003, 05:43 AM
IF only i could post a pic of Ben with his princess crown on.....:D

ranger400ex
08-19-2003, 05:57 AM
PS my sidekick Kelly here at work has one....maybe she will join and share. Mental picture for ya...a big blow up ballerina hippo...with yours truly on it. Sure scared the $hit out of one of the supervisors in the board shop.

Ben:devil:

jlhughes750
08-19-2003, 06:49 AM
good reply Ben, thanks.....

u made my point!!!! i'm 28 almost 2 kids(lil Jake is 1 1/2 and our next will be here friday).... i won't get into a big thank u list like Ben did. I own a home(or 2) got some property,live for racing ATV's, and being around the ATV racing scene, and am devoted to my family 100%!!!!! The family has taken me away from racing alot the past 2 years but i would not change it for the world. I race all od the D6 harescrambles and whatever GNCC's i can get to. I have gotten to know everyone at the locals, and the sport has gotten so big that even the local events are great publicity for sponsors!!! Its become more of a lifestyle for me than a hobby, and man is it tuff with kids runnin around.. The few sponsors i have, sponsor me not for my performance, but for sales. I realize that, i'm ok with it, as long as they hook me up!!! i have a small race prep shop, and i know alot of local non racers!!! They do not race but love buying all the shiny goods i have on my bikes.... I also know alot of up and comers from the locals that are looking for direction in buying goodies for there machines. All of these people equal more sales for my sponsors as long as i promote my sponsor in a profesional manner and direct customers there way.. one thing to remember, always tell them to mention your name when they call, that way the sponsor can track the progress of the deal....

Hey!!!!How bout Taylortown!!!!!!!!!!

later, J

Dunlap
08-20-2003, 01:28 AM
I think this has been a good subject as far as sponsorships.Heres some more facts that my wife and I have kept track of the best we could.The race team we run takes up 25 to 30% of my day and returns about 3% of direct sales.The mag. articles take up less than 1% of my day and returns 60 to70% of my sales and the rest of my sale come from ads and word of mouth.This makes it easy to see where I should put more effort.

465Stroker
08-20-2003, 01:48 AM
I think this has been a good subject as far as sponsorships.Heres some more facts that my wife and I have kept track of the best we could.The race team we run takes up 25 to 30% of my day and returns about 3% of direct sales.The mag. articles take up less than 1% of my day and returns 60 to70% of my sales and the rest of my sale come from ads and word of mouth.This makes it easy to see where I should put more effort.

True - but without your race team representing your magazine efforts - you would hardly have any backup to show how your engines perform. The fact that you have a GNCC team shows that your motors are built for reliability and that they would work great for the general public since most are weekend warriors who would like to have a killer motor without having to carry a tow strap everywere they go. The benifit of having a team versious having a few select riders using you motors is greater since you can keep a good eye on there wrenching abilities to make sure that they are bringing a solid machine to the starting line at every race.

Striker49
08-20-2003, 02:17 AM
True - but without your race team representing your magazine efforts - you would hardly have any backup to show how your engines perform. The fact that you have a GNCC team shows that your motors are built for reliability and that they would work great for the general public since most are weekend warriors who would like to have a killer motor without having to carry a tow strap everywere they go. The benifit of having a team versious having a few select riders using you motors is greater since you can keep a good eye on there wrenching abilities to make sure that they are bringing a solid machine to the starting line at every race.

I have to agree. I would be more likely to get a FST engine than "Brand A" who does not have a race team or anything for that matter, to back up how well their engines perform. FST engines, from what Ive seen, have been great. Seen one get a holeshot at a GNCC last season...that really tells me that that engine is quick off the line, has the power and reliability to go the distance of a 2 hour "beat you to pieces" race through some of the roughest terrain out there.
I think your race team is your back bone Mickey, and having your engines out there getting holeshots and completing races only shows how much better your engines are. :)
But thats just my 2 pennies.

jlhughes750
08-20-2003, 02:33 AM
So Mickey???? With all of this said, whos gonna be on what at the next round???? Gas-Gas Yamaha or the ole' EX?????

465stroker???? 2nd to Borich on sunday at Rausch???? good work, how far out frt. was he???? was he cleaned up when u got done???hahahaha:D Traci like the Yami??? heard she won her class, a buddy of mine got 3rd. in her class, he said she was hauling, there was a bottle neck on the first lap, everyone sat there, he said she kept ramming a tree and bouncing off so she could get the bike turned, then picked a line over some stuff and went around everyone!!!! he said it was pretty amazing!!

later, C-yall at T town

later, J

465Stroker
08-20-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
So Mickey???? With all of this said, whos gonna be on what at the next round???? Gas-Gas Yamaha or the ole' EX?????

465stroker???? 2nd to Borich on sunday at Rausch???? good work, how far out frt. was he???? was he cleaned up when u got done???hahahaha:D Traci like the Yami??? heard she won her class, a buddy of mine got 3rd. in her class, he said she was hauling, there was a bottle neck on the first lap, everyone sat there, he said she kept ramming a tree and bouncing off so she could get the bike turned, then picked a line over some stuff and went around everyone!!!! he said it was pretty amazing!!

later, C-yall at T town

later, J

Chris got me by 30 seconds - But I doubt he ran as hard as he could. I felt like crap - first time I raced since the Wisp...
Traci smoked the B Class by over 8 minutes even with a front tire change on the second lap!:eek2: I told her she needs to move up and stop cherry-pickin' - though it was her first race on the YFZ with it being 99% setup for her.....

Pappy
08-20-2003, 02:48 AM
that girl is a rocket:D

Dunlap
08-20-2003, 03:09 AM
I here what your saying about the race team but the bottom line is winning races does'nt make my phone ring.I use the race team to better my products and to feed my own ego,other than that it's simply alot of work. As far as who will be riding what when we go back racing, I do not know yet. You can read about are testing last week under "Chad Duvall's new quad???".

jlhughes750
08-20-2003, 05:58 AM
well put Mickey!!!! we thought that was the case.....

jlhughes750
08-20-2003, 06:07 AM
oh.....465stroker????? how many minutes and 30 seconds??:eek: :eek: :eek: hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah i agree with Pappy, that girls a rocket!!!!! Stephanie Kenney from D6 runs B class, and has a few wins this year.Shes been doing it for a few years, i hear they're going GNCC racing all next year and she's gonna run the womens class. I don't think she'll have anything for Traci and Steph P. but once she get her equipment dialed in and gets a decent maintnence program (no dnf's) maybe some sponsorship etc... she's been runnin a 330ex with a 350x rear end and 400EX frt. suspension and she does pretty well with it.....sounds like a rat trap bike but its really pretty nice.

later, J

jlhughes750
08-20-2003, 06:41 AM
sorry 177 tied the "Duvalls new ride post" i had to do it!!!!!!!

Smokey
08-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Mickey,
So tell us what do you look for in a rider ? What do you expect from that rider and how do you " Spoil" them ?? Some of us do look for sponsers to help and maybe we would like your thoughts to help us out .

Dunlap
08-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Smokey,

I don't know if you have read everything that I have said but mainly I would like to have a young rider that is able to give 200% to his racing career and what this means to me is that he eats, drinks, sleeps racing. Having said that, someone else also said that most GNCC riders have a wife & kids, jobs, etc. that take up their time and I agree with that 100%. I know of only 1 top rider that is probably in the position to give the 200% but he is not someone I would hire (for my own personal reasons). As far as spoiling my riders, most all of the team riders get free wheels, tires, plastic, nerf bars/bumpers, etc. which totals up to thousands of dollars which they really don't pay the sponsors back enough for unless we do a magazine article on them. Not saying the riders don't do a good job - it's not personal, it's just business. When I was racing, all I wanted to do is win. All my time was spent figuring out what it would take to beat the other riders - mainly Team Honda at the time - and it paid off for me and that's what I was talking about before with Jason Raines (#2 in points in motorcycles). I know it's hard to find people with this kind of dedication and the talent to do so. Chad Duvall has been a very good rider for us and with his new attitude towards racing because of the bike he is riding now, I think he is going to be an even better asset (for an old man that is! lol!).

250rmike
08-20-2003, 03:33 PM
i ahev been trying to start racing for some time. but i just do not have the money as of now or ever before or the support. i mean i have support from my parents but i still must pay everything out of my own pocket and thats very hard when i have to pay off a car and pay insurace and for gas and everything else in my life wheni work for $6.60 /hr but i still manage and i am slowly getting to the point where most of my money will be going towards my bike(after insurance of course). right now i am most likely getting rid of the r that i have had for a while and getting a new car cause mine is almost dead and i have no problem with that cause the truck has lasted for almost 220,000 miles so i am happy. it would be great to have alitle help but since i have a lack of racing experience i cant get it yet. next year i hope to have a new bike and to race some gncc some gnc and some district harescramblers and try to make most of the distict mx's i know it alot to do but i want to plan to make more and then have something to work towards.

also with the slower riders in gncc thats why i loved racing my dads bike last year especially at wisp cause when all the slower riders and people were stuck i would just pop it in 4wd and just make a new trail around them and up hills for me and other riders i remember on my later laps i took a look at alot of the trails i made and people had been using them for alternate lines which i thought was cool but yea if i didnt have 4wd i would have been stuck like everone else

good luck to everyone witht he rest o the year

lt250r91
08-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Chad Duvall has been a very good rider for us and with his new attitude towards racing because of the bike he is riding now, I think he is going to be an even better asset (for an old man that is! lol!). [/B]

Mickey

Which bike are you talking about? ex, yzf, GG or other. I talked to Rick earlier and he said something about the testing of last weekend.

And as for the old man comment. I think you left out fat and out of shape:D At least that is what he has been telling us D-11 riders before he wins by over 5 mins. What a broken kickstarting foot and having enough time to stop and ask spectators for chainsaws. I still remember that 5-brothers race a couple years ago. Just messin with you Chad, You may be old, slow, out of shape, but you don't have to remind me a couple times during the races when your lappen me.

See you at the next race.

bradley300
08-21-2003, 05:08 AM
i might make it to the race! frame is going out soon to pappy, motor is on its way home!

ranger400ex
08-22-2003, 06:02 AM
I will be there, making sure no one is riding out back....

Ben

holeshot19
08-24-2003, 01:13 AM
go 2 see a turn out like this forum has produced

WOOLIN
08-26-2003, 05:07 AM
I will be there! I hope Jeff has something to ride by then. Rolwrag will be on his new R not a dale.

bradley300
08-26-2003, 05:25 AM
if it comes down to it, i'll let jeff ride the ex (as long as he puts it together!:devil: )

he used to race a 300, so he should adjust fairly quick!

WOOLIN
08-26-2003, 05:55 AM
Well I was going to race mine in the morning and let him use it in the afternoon if he wanted to. But he would be racing a dirty quad and that might not work.:devil:

WOOLIN
08-26-2003, 05:57 AM
Did Pappy finish your frame?

08-26-2003, 07:05 AM
I've also offered Jeff my quad to ride if he can't come up with something...:ermm:

Pappy
08-26-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I've also offered Jeff my quad to ride if he can't come up with something...:ermm:

i offered to buy that speed he had and let him finish the season:scary: he will be hooked up...no worries:p

GNCCracer
08-26-2003, 08:17 AM
What happened to Jeff's quad??

monkeyboy
08-26-2003, 08:56 AM
i c u guz darre :)

paapa fros can usse ma tecottty iff himz wantz 2.:muscle:

WOOLIN
08-26-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by GNCCracer
What happened to Jeff's quad??
The quad was a race demo owned by the quad shop(Marty).
When Jeff and his dad bought the shop it didn't come with the deal because of cannondales bankruptcy thing with marty.

GNCCracer
08-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Thanks Woolin. That kinda sucks for Jeff.

WOOLIN
08-26-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by GNCCracer
Thanks Woolin. That kinda sucks for Jeff.
Well he has a quad coming but I don't know if he will get it in time. Or have the time to get it dialed in.

bradley300
08-26-2003, 04:11 PM
woolin, i dont think pappy even has my frame yet, i found a couple last minute things i had asked john to do before i sent it. just hope he did it, jeff said i was stretchen' it with john doing little things.:( o well, i'll just work like hell to get it together. might break in that new 350 on the starting line.:confused2

if its not done, feel free to use my beadlocks until i need them!

08-26-2003, 06:06 PM
I here what your saying about the race team but the bottom line is winning races does'nt make my phone ring.I use the race team to better my products and to feed my own ego,other than that it's simply alot of work. As far as who will be riding what when we go back racing, I do not know yet. You can read about are testing last week under "Chad Duvall's new quad???".

Excelent thread, and sorry I didnt see it sooner.

Mickey, I see where your coming from with the "phone ringing" but I also think/know that with the many types of advertising avail not all allow themselves to be tracked the same or easily.

I have been around various sales companies and seen all kinds of different advertising or sales techniques, and from something as simple as a fifty cent pen to fifty thousand dollar trade show you can get excelent results or a total disaster.

Problem is that some things dont show themselves as well as others. Your next order could come from the guy who used your pen last month but needed to look up your number in an add etc, but which one gets the credit?

I honestly believe that the race team you have assembled, and the sucess of your efforts and engines sets you apart in the industry. Or in other words having the first four stroke pro production to take the overall deffinately fed more than your ego.

In the past I had worked with an older salesman who didnt have the best relationship with one of the other managers (his actuall boss) and his boss thought he was a slacker because he used a much different sales approach than his younger boss. Well I had talked with both of them and basicly this guy was just out of his normal field (he was a door to door type guy in a much larger industry) well they ended up letting him go against my suggestions because he had little immediate success. A year later when they looked back at some of the new customer info his name kept popping up. Well it seems he was more effective than anyone thought but sadly for him nothing was working till after he was gone.

My point is without the system to tag new customers with how they heard of this company etc they would have been contributed to something or someone else.

Maybe its the same in this instance that though no one is getting your number off the side of the quad its that effort that is getting them interested in the first place and how can you value that?

Just my .02

BTW did I mention what a great thread.

WOOLIN
08-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
woolin, i dont think pappy even has my frame yet, i found a couple last minute things i had asked john to do before i sent it. just hope he did it, jeff said i was stretchen' it with john doing little things.:( o well, i'll just work like hell to get it together. might break in that new 350 on the starting line.:confused2

if its not done, feel free to use my beadlocks until i need them!
Thanks for the offer! I bought John's old ones from him. When Marty took the blaze back.

ranger400ex
08-27-2003, 03:48 AM
Jeffy will be on a ATK count on it.....I ain't makin a trip to PA to let hime ride anything else...He aint ridding junk....if Frank and Steve can't pull it together by then.....I know an ATK that will make even Jeff smile....hey Fred, looks like we might need two spots in the trailer.... :macho

Ben

bradley300
08-27-2003, 04:23 AM
jeez ben, you really want in jeffs sig dont you?

Dunlap
08-27-2003, 04:32 AM
440EX4me,

I appreciate all your insight but one of the things I pride myself on is knowing exactly where my business comes from. Since I am a small "one man band" basically, I know where each phone call comes from as far as magazine ads, magazine articles or word of mouth. It is extremely important for me to put my efforts into what pays off the best and to eliminate the things that take up all my time with little results.

ranger400ex
08-27-2003, 06:16 AM
:D :D :D

Ben

12gofast
08-27-2003, 07:36 AM
Looks like I wont have a ride for Mathews...I will be there though

660bigdaddy
08-27-2003, 10:05 AM
Looks like I wont have a ride for Mathews...I will be there though
what happen to the 400ex brian?

jlhughes750
08-27-2003, 10:56 AM
gettin closer to the Farm!!!! got the new Arens R nearly done..

It'll be dialed in this weekend and ready to go!! I've been trying out the Gibson XC frt. end with Axis. Man this thing works pretty nice, i've had a few days off work. My wife gave birth to our new daughter, my son whos 16 months has been helping me out getting together. I live close to ECATV and Matt over there has reallly been pushing to help me get this new quad done..

later, J

08-27-2003, 02:55 PM
440EX4me,

I appreciate all your insight but one of the things I pride myself on is knowing exactly where my business comes from. Since I am a small "one man band" basically, I know where each phone call comes from as far as magazine ads, magazine articles or word of mouth. It is extremely important for me to put my efforts into what pays off the best and to eliminate the things that take up all my time with little results.

Definately understood and thats one of the niches of most small business but for any there are diffulcties in knowing everything even if they do have an advantage over the larger companies etc.

As we all discuss the sponsorship issues and all these related ideas I want to offer the following.

Do you think that Houser or Elka has contributed the sales of their products directly to your race team efforts? How about to this site?

Well for me that was absolutely the case. How could the manufacturers be expected to know that the fact that these products were ine use by the FST race team had any thing to do with my final decision? I doubt they would unless I offered that info or they had some kind of required form before selling the product etc.

In all honesty I was looking to update the suspension on my machine just after I first got it and thats about 1-1/2 years ago, and though it took me over six months to make a decision due to the lack of comparative info on suspension parts after narrrowing it down to two mfg of each I needed to get some reliability info. So low and behold if these products were able to hold up to the abuse of your riders I figured it couldnt be junk but prob very good products, and thats how you were responsible for those sales.

Sorry for the length but I hope you understand where I was headed with this all.

thanx

chad duvall
08-27-2003, 03:35 PM
400ex4me
Very well put, I enjoyed your comments and welcomed them! As for Elka and Houser receiving sales due to the race team(myself) running them I would like to think so and they tell me that all the time. Elka's business is booming and they are a great bunch of down to earth guys who Myself and my mechanic have an outstanding friendship working relationship with, not only are they my shock sponsors but my very good friends and the Same goes for John and Jeff at Houser racing. Since going to them last year they have made sure I get what I need and I make sure I promote there product to my best ability. To my knowledge They are very happy with the results I give them as their sponsored rider. Winning is a plus but promoting in the way I do seems to be profiting to them.
thanks

Dunlap
08-28-2003, 02:23 AM
440EX4me,

A simple point to make - what after-market parts did you buy for your engine? I don't remember selling you any FST parts. The point is, at the GNCC races, I can count about 13 of my motors out there, 8 of them being mine from my race team. How many motors do I sell to other racers around the country - very little. My market is the average sand dune, trail rider, etc. We basically race to improve our product. With Elka and Houser, it still comes down to their products sell themselves. The best selling tool is repetition and Elka has done a very good job of making sure everyone in the world has seen their shocks through working with IMS & Roll ads to magazine articles through FST and other companies. What you see the most is what you will buy. Everyone of my sponsors that I talk to agrees that just because somebody wins with their product, that in itself does not sell product but advertising and the written word in the magazines is what sells product.

08-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by chad duvall
400ex4me
Very well put, I enjoyed your comments and welcomed them! As for Elka and Houser receiving sales due to the race team(myself) running them I would like to think so and they tell me that all the time. Elka's business is booming and they are a great bunch of down to earth guys who Myself and my mechanic have an outstanding friendship working relationship with, not only are they my shock sponsors but my very good friends and the Same goes for John and Jeff at Houser racing. Since going to them last year they have made sure I get what I need and I make sure I promote there product to my best ability. To my knowledge They are very happy with the results I give them as their sponsored rider. Winning is a plus but promoting in the way I do seems to be profiting to them.
thanks

Hey thanks. and I agree that there a bunch of good guys.

08-28-2003, 10:37 AM
440EX4me,

A simple point to make - what after-market parts did you buy for your engine? I don't remember selling you any FST parts. The point is, at the GNCC races, I can count about 13 of my motors out there, 8 of them being mine from my race team. How many motors do I sell to other racers around the country - very little. My market is the average sand dune, trail rider, etc. We basically race to improve our product. With Elka and Houser, it still comes down to their products sell themselves. The best selling tool is repetition and Elka has done a very good job of making sure everyone in the world has seen their shocks through working with IMS & Roll ads to magazine articles through FST and other companies. What you see the most is what you will buy. Everyone of my sponsors that I talk to agrees that just because somebody wins with their product, that in itself does not sell product but advertising and the written word in the magazines is what sells product.

Mickey again I truely understand where your coming from. My only point is that there are some sales that just cant be tagged properly to a cause etc.

Theres no doubt that advertising brings sales, but as Kenny (pappy) had said earlier there is a trend to the change that the web has brought with it, and sites like this are truely more valuabe than I think any of us believe.

In respect I will not get into what I have purchased from you in this post but would be happy to answer you if you chose to send a pm.

As far as buying what you see I thankfully dont fall into that group (thank God) and try to find the real values in this over priced market. I know many people who do subscribe to that thinking and there prob in the majority but I do my best to educate anyone willing to listen. If it doesnt offer some strong bang for the buck its most likely not on my machine. Only things against the grain of that thinking is the lower priced shinny stuff that I dont think many of us can resist.

Just for the record there is no connection between the newer Elka/Roll relationship and my decision (the relationship wasnt existing back then anyhow) and its one that I personally am not a fan of anyways. I have made no bones about saying that I was not happy with the way Elka jacked up their prices and got tough with their dealer and distributor relations (basicly price fixing) as soon as they found some acceptance in our market.

The market price advantage that existed last year that made their product a true value has all but eroded, and now its more a matter preference as most prices are very close between the manufacturers. Not that its not a great product and its actually better today than when I bought, and is still priced well but just not as well as when they were trying to "get into" the ATV market.

Thanks for your thoughts and I hope mine have helped you understand more how the average rider thinks (or abnormal who knows lol).

jlhughes750
08-29-2003, 06:51 AM
We should all have some killer sponsors for the sport next year after all this schoolin on sponsorships:)

just a reminder, T-town next week!!!!!!!!!!

Is the track basically the same terrain as Mt Morris, i heard its a lil more hilly.......

thanks J

BTW: who woulda thought a lil post about my next GNCC race would turn into such a thread:D kinda make me proud:D hahaha

(KN)GNCC91
09-01-2003, 02:05 PM
I was looking back at the comments and apreciate the feedback on the wnyoa races,NY. Every once in a while everyone turns out and we get a great race.Nice tracks,tight @ technical. Kevin Nolder

400exmom
09-01-2003, 02:21 PM
hmmm- i think thats like a 10 hour drive for me my rain out race this weekend has me desperate to go somewhere and taylortown is the only one of interest anyone from il. goin?

jlhughes750
09-02-2003, 06:04 AM
go for it!thats not that far!!!

Ryan
09-02-2003, 06:12 AM
Do any of you know about how far it is from Orange County, NY, which is on the border of NJ?

Thanks....

jlhughes750
09-02-2003, 06:27 AM
Orange county NY.?????? near Patterson or W. Patterson????

not bad 5-6 hours drive, look at the Pa. map its on the lower left corner, south west most point on the map!!!!!!!

some other guys used to run GNCC from that area.......

later, J

400exmom
09-02-2003, 01:38 PM
ive been reading the results from this series there will be a womens B/C class wont there?

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 01:55 PM
nope, there is only 1 womens class but from what I hear you will do just fine!:cool:

lshonda310
09-02-2003, 02:03 PM
ive been reading the results from this series there will be a womens B/C class wont there?

there is only one woman's class this year in GNCC, we are leaving thursday afternoon sometime. We usually do good in the "race before the race" of getting a decent pit spot, we like placing in the top ten overall to get a pit spot!!!:eek:

atvchik
09-02-2003, 02:09 PM
400exmom,
I hope you can make it out. This is my first race so I'm looking forward to meeting some of the women racer's :)

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by lshonda310
there is only one woman's class this year in GNCC, we are leaving thursday afternoon sometime. We usually do good in the "race before the race" of getting a decent pit spot, we like placing in the top ten overall to get a pit spot!!!:eek: LMAO.....that is one race that I can beat you at!!!:devil:

400exmom
09-02-2003, 02:22 PM
400exmom,
I hope you can make it out. This is my first race so I'm looking forward to meeting some of the women racer's :) cant wait!

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 02:25 PM
400exmom,
I hope you can make it out. This is my first race so I'm looking forward to meeting some of the women racer's :) Traci told me you PMed her, she's looking foreward to meeting you! How did the shocks do for you all?

atvchik
09-02-2003, 03:01 PM
My rear shock is great! It made a world of difference.
I changed the fronts also~
I was so used to the fronts being stiff so on the first fast turn I took I came up on 2 and almost rolled it.
It's going to be a learning curve for me because I've only ridden this bike a handful of times (new) and I've alway's had stock shocks on my other bikes.
Everyone was the new guy once, right? :)
I'm sure I will learn alot from everyone this weekend.
I've never raced bikes but I sure love to ride, so, this is going to be fun!!

Scott said his rear is much better but he still bottomed it out once.
We'll find you this weekend and see if you have any suggestions.
Or we'll check out some of the other 700's to see what they have.

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Actually, it is ok to bottom every now and then! That means you are using all the shock travel. Mine bottoms on big g-outs but that is good because its using all of the stroke the shock has. If you aren't bottoming say once or twice a lap then your shocks are too stiff.

popo
09-02-2003, 05:07 PM
My rear shock is great! It made a world of difference.
I changed the fronts also~
I was so used to the fronts being stiff so on the first fast turn I took I came up on 2 and almost rolled it.
It's going to be a learning curve for me because I've only ridden this bike a handful of times (new) and I've alway's had stock shocks on my other bikes.
Everyone was the new guy once, right? :)
I'm sure I will learn alot from everyone this weekend.
I've never raced bikes but I sure love to ride, so, this is going to be fun!!

Scott said his rear is much better but he still bottomed it out once.
We'll find you this weekend and see if you have any suggestions.
Or we'll check out some of the other 700's to see what they have.

Hey chickie pooo.... I forgot to mention, as a 1st time racer in the womens class, you have to ride top less the first lap...http://users.iglide.net/gbelbeck/boobies.gif Than we can judge how good your shocks are working:D

09-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey chickie pooo.... I forgot to mention, as a 1st time racer in the womens class, you have to ride top less the first lap...http://users.iglide.net/gbelbeck/boobies.gif Than we can judge how good your shocks are working:D

:D LMAO :D

Dont forget the breathalizer test Popo :D :devil:

atvchik
09-02-2003, 11:32 PM
In that case, I guess his set up is just right.
Maybe mine isn't then. I set it up for my weight + gear + some mud. Well, it sure rides nice now so I can't complain.

Popo,
after all this working out you said to do...there's not going to be much of a show :)

popo
09-02-2003, 11:56 PM

Popo,
after all this working out you said to do...there's not going to be much of a show :)

Aw squeeze me! We will be the judge of that.

WOOLIN
09-03-2003, 01:28 AM
How much rain did they get up there last week? Is it going to be dusty?

BUCK442
09-03-2003, 03:24 AM
Who's ready? I am not even close to getting ready and I have to leave thursday evening. Procrastination is an ugly friend. Look forward to seeing all my ex rider bros in P.A.

Just a thought: You think this site will turn back into a true EX rider site after the big Honda show in 8 days? :devil:

03GNCC270
09-03-2003, 03:40 AM
don't worry about dust we got enough rain here in the last week to get rid of the dust. i washed my bike sunday and the ground did not soak up a drop of the water from the washing. we got three good storms here late last week and it has been raining off and on for the last 5 days

400exmom
09-03-2003, 04:29 AM
im ready im heading out to the quad shop to meet up there tommorow bout 2:00 WAHOO:macho

jlhughes750
09-03-2003, 06:21 AM
excellent!!!!!!! looking forward to meeting everyone!!!

i'll be hanging w/ Popo for the womens race!!!! lookin for the first time racers!!!!:blah: :blah: :blah:

seriously though!!!! things are shaping up, got clearance from the wife for take off, gotta work fri. so i'll be out around midnight to haggle with mullett man for a spot....

the bike: well i'm heading over to ECATV to finish checking everything over. got a new Sparks pipe coming in today(i hope) and the shocks came back this morning!!!:p :p i love last minute assembly!!!!!!! we had everything done but made a frt. end change last week and i wanted to try to get more zoom outta the lil 250 with the Sparks pipe. So now i'm stuck in a last minute deal... Matt up at East Coast ATV has really pulled through for me, he got everything i needed here on time, very pleased!!

lookin forward to shaking this down at T town!!!! just going to have some fun, i did not run the entire series this year, so i'm just heading out for a lil trail rip!!! i gotta a D6 race here in eastern Pa. on sunday so thats what i'm really looking forward to...

12gofast
09-03-2003, 06:33 AM
I will be there but unfortunately not racing....don't have a quad to run!!!
I have some stuff for 465Stroker and have to make some rounds to talk to some people.

BUCK442
09-03-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by 12gofast
I will be there but unfortunately not racing....don't have a quad to run!!!
I have some stuff for 465Stroker and have to make some rounds to talk to some people.

Maybee Mr. Cecco might let ya rent on of his many race quads. ;)

joedirt
09-03-2003, 06:59 AM
DA WEITHER IS A SUPOSE TO BE GREEEEEAAAT ( AS TONY THE TIGER WOULD SAY) I'M A GONA BE TEARN IT UP YEEEE HAWWWW

465Stroker
09-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Hey - They are all Traci's! Anyone can ride them if the weight around 105lb. :(
BTW - We got 1 03KXF400, 1 LTZ400, and 1 300EX for sale if you know of anyone looking for a race ready GNCC quad.

12gofast
09-03-2003, 07:33 AM
The grass track sections should be a blast with as wet as it has been.

Ive been trying to borrow a quad, but I am not really worried about it.....I may race the bike on Sunday.

BUCK442
09-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Hey - They are all Traci's! Anyone can ride them if the weight around 105lb. :(
BTW - We got 1 03KXF400, 1 LTZ400, and 1 300EX for sale if you know of anyone looking for a race ready GNCC quad.

I assume that she holds the check book :p
Your garage must be like a quad explosion. I assume that since the LTZ and the KXF are for sale that lil'speedy will be riding something new and ready to roost ol SP.

465Stroker
09-03-2003, 08:39 AM
Maybe an Artic Cat??:ermm:

BUCK442
09-03-2003, 08:52 AM
I was pulling for E-ton, it is built for the smaller riders. Now someone your size probably would be better off with a Kasea 110ex, real power house!:D

Ya packed up yet?

465Stroker
09-03-2003, 09:05 AM
I was pulling for E-ton, it is built for the smaller riders. Now someone your size probably would be better off with a Kasea 110ex, real power house!:D

Ya packed up yet?

Packed? Heck - this is one of our closest races and we will not be there until Saturday morning... I'll stick with the cdale - Jeffy and I will have a ton of fun passing ya in the fields.
Now if GNCCer can hang onto the YFZ for 2 hours he may be able to stay out front.:eek:

jja125
09-03-2003, 09:33 AM
does anybody know if you can sign up on friday night and leave and come back saturday morning - and if so how late can you still sign up on friday? my gf isn't too keen on camping down there and its only about 1.5hr away from me.

btw jeff i think i got my shocks all set up right for saturday, but i haven't had too much time to ride them and when i did it was in constant slop. its been raining hard here pretty much every day since saturday. i would be prepared for slop in taylortown. its a little bit south of me, but i think they have been getting the same rain all week. its supposed to dry out towards the end of the week but they got hammered again today. :ermm:

WOOLIN
09-03-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by jja125

btw jeff i think i got my shocks all set up right for saturday, but i haven't had too much time to ride them and when i did it was in constant slop. its been raining hard here pretty much every day since saturday. i would be prepared for slop in taylortown. its a little bit south of me, but i think they have been getting the same rain all week. its supposed to dry out towards the end of the week but they got hammered again today. :ermm:

Cool another slop race. I hope it stays wet.:devil:

BUCK442
09-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Uh OK, Just remember to watch out for me passing you in the woods sections. If I remember correctly this track has several off-camber field secetions so you just might have the upper hand. In 00 or 01 Matthews farm was the best race I ever had running 2nd just a few secs off of Trew, however I hit that damn ditch coming out of the woods into the field and proceeded to kick my rearend strait up causing me to hang on for dear life and my left foot hooked under shifter and broke it off. After riding back to pits in second and replacing shifter took off in the downpoor and managed to finish 8th just a few spots behind Foutch.

I love this track! Except that it is 14hrs away.:huh

ranger400ex
09-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Dales ready..and gear is finding its home tonight. Guess I am riding with the rest of the crazy Quadshop boys this weekend. See ya all on friday morning, and the rest of ya sometime friday night. Gonna be a few more dales representin this time!!:macho
look for the black LE with checker red Quashop graphics

Ben

cdalejef
09-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by jja125
does anybody know if you can sign up on friday night and leave and come back saturday morning - and if so how late can you still sign up on friday? my gf isn't too keen on camping down there and its only about 1.5hr away from me.

btw jeff i think i got my shocks all set up right for saturday, but i haven't had too much time to ride them and when i did it was in constant slop. its been raining hard here pretty much every day since saturday. i would be prepared for slop in taylortown. its a little bit south of me, but i think they have been getting the same rain all week. its supposed to dry out towards the end of the week but they got hammered again today. :ermm: Sign up is open till 8 friday night, you can leave and come back, they give you arm bands so you can come and go as you please.

I hope it rains like h@ll!!! Traci and I got lots of mud practice at Rausch on saturday so we are ready for it!

Ranger....better say quadshop boys and girl, we got a new team mate riding with us!

rowlrag
09-03-2003, 02:42 PM
You mean Traci's race quads!:eek2: