PDA

View Full Version : Shock Fade??

JOEX
08-04-2003, 08:36 AM
What exactly is it and how do tell when it is occuring?

I'm going to be getting front shocks soon and still wondering if I really need rezzies or not. I know rezzies are deffinately better but due to budget constraints I want to get the best bang for the buck.

Don't tell me what brand to get, I will make that decision on my own:)

Thanks, Joe

08-04-2003, 10:09 AM
I"ve noticed it more on the MX track and when it's extremely hot out. But they tend to turn soft and work like chit. After about 8 ta 10 hard laps I"ll notice the quad starting to bottom out harder over the same jump that was smooth at the start of the day. I"d recommend gettin rezzies no matter what.

JOEX
08-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Thanks Rico.....
I don't do the big jumps so i'm not worried about bottoming out. I just want to smooth out the small stuff, choppy sand, whoops, ruts etc. It get quite warm at the dunes sometimes and going over the choppy sand can be a little rough.

I would rather get rezzies and I would like to get Elkas but Elkas+rezzies=alot of $$'s for me:( I also have a set of brand new Burgard +1 a-arms sitting here getting dusty:(

What to do, what to do....:confused: :rolleyes:

Joe

08-04-2003, 12:28 PM
get works tripple rate with rezzie. if its still too much get dual rate with rezzie. I would not buy a shock with out a rezzie. Rezzies also add time between rebuilds bc the oil doesnt break down as quickly bc the shocks dont get as hot.

batgeek
08-04-2003, 12:32 PM
cool oil = higher viscosity = oil moves through the holes the way its supposed to for how yer shocks are set up.

when your oil gets hot it looses viscosity(gets more fluid) it passes thru the holes much easier = bottoming out and packing.

PM me and i can explain shock abosrber theory and implementation of physics, if ya want to :D

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-04-2003, 12:34 PM
if i was a flat tracker i would still buy rezzies...its a must have when it comes to buying aftermarket suspension.

JOEX
08-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
cool oil = higher viscosity = oil moves through the holes the way its supposed to for how yer shocks are set up.

when your oil gets hot it looses viscosity(gets more fluid) it passes thru the holes much easier = bottoming out and packing.

PM me and i can explain shock abosrber theory and implementation of physics, if ya want to :D
I don't think my brain could handle that right now!:D

I might end up going with Works. They are probably going to be good enough for what I do, but i'd really like a better shock.

Maybe something used will come up but it is hard to find some that are set up right and I would much rather go with new when laying out that much cash...

Joe

batgeek
08-04-2003, 12:47 PM
find a good set of used Works on ebay and get em revalved/re-sprung by someone...it'll save ya anywhere from $200-400 :D

08-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Works triple rates with ressies would more than do the job for ya....:macho

Find a used set and sent them off for a SSD spring, revalve and serviced and your set...

JOEX
08-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Do the new Works w/res. come with ssd spring or is that an option? They run about $525 right?
Rebuilds runs about $125?

Joe

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Do the new Works w/res. come with ssd spring or is that an option? They run about $525 right?
Rebuilds runs about $125?

Joe

i seen them for 475 new.

Juggalo
08-04-2003, 06:21 PM
i've seen em for 450 new :eek2:

JOEX
08-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
i seen them for 475 new.

Originally posted by Juggalo
i've seen em for 450 new :eek2:
Anyone willing to share where?:D ;)

And what about the ssd spring? Does it come with or is it an option? Willit be OK with the stock rear?

Joe

08-04-2003, 07:50 PM
id get elkas without rezzies they work so much smoother than my works with rezzies, but if you really want at steelers with rezzies id get them from shoc connection because they sell them with compression adjustment

EvilJester400EX
08-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
i seen them for 475 new.

Now you tell me this.. after I spend $505 on mine. :cuss: :blah:

spliffy
08-05-2003, 04:36 AM
Ebay has em for $476 shipped

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-05-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by spliffy
Ebay has em for $476 shipped