PDA

View Full Version : Changing Oil?

Shawn_guru
08-04-2003, 04:16 AM
I just bought a used 400ex and I am wondering how do I go about changing the oil and what type of oil should I use? It didn't come with a manual so I orderd the service manual, Hopefully that will help me out some.:confused:

08-04-2003, 04:57 AM
there should be a bolt on the bottom of the quad, you loosen that up, have a pan ready take it out, let it all drain out, put the bolt back in and im pretty sure you run 10w40 in there, but you might want to clarify that first with someone else

Bill Fuller
08-04-2003, 05:10 AM
Two bolts one on the bottom of the oil tank and one under the gear shifter.Use 20/50 oil and change the filter every time right at 2 quarts.Oil tank bolt is a 14mm and the one by the shifter is a 12mm,the oil filter cover is an 8mm.

Shawn_guru
08-04-2003, 05:34 AM
Thanks alot for the reply, I really appreciate it!

JOEX
08-04-2003, 11:42 AM
What Bill Fuller said and this is how you check the oil.....

Checking the oil as per the Honda Owners Manual:
1. Make sure the vehical is on level ground.
2. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area and let it idle for 5 minutes. If the air temperatures is below 10*C (50*F), let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (atotal of 10 minutes).
3. Stop the engine.
4. After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.
5. Insert the dipstick without screwing it in, then remove the dipstick and check the oil level. The oil level should be between the upper level mark and the lower level mark on the dipstick.
6. If required, add the specified oil into the filler cap hole, up to the upper level mark on the dipstick. Do not over fill.
7. Reinstall the oil filler cap dipstick.

CAUTION:
Running the engiine with the improper oil level can cause serious engine damage.

Joe

Shawn_guru
08-04-2003, 11:52 AM
How often should you change the oil?

08-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Shawn_guru
How often should you change the oil?

every 25 - 30 hours

Shawn_guru
08-04-2003, 12:07 PM
What is the best brand of oil and oil filter to use?

JOEX
08-04-2003, 12:37 PM
I change the the oil AND filter after any long weekend ride. Or after a few day rides, usually when it just starts to change color.

I use what ever 4-stroke the local shop has in stock and use Emgo filters. 20/50 in the summer and 10/40 in the winter.

Joe

mx440#55
08-04-2003, 01:33 PM
The other drain plug under the shifter? Unless my motor is completely different, it's sort of under the clutch cover below the filter

Taco
08-04-2003, 01:39 PM
I just change my oil when it starts getting black. I love my Mobil 1 15w50:D

nofearhonda
08-04-2003, 04:45 PM
dont use synthetic oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i burnt a cluch my running that crap. i havent burnt one since i changed oils

Chanman420q
08-04-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Taco
I just change my oil when it starts getting black. I love my Mobil 1 15w50:D

good stuff;)

JOEX
08-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by mx440#55
The other drain plug under the shifter? Unless my motor is completely different, it's sort of under the clutch cover below the filter
I just double checked on that......
That is the "inspection hole" to see if there is lubricating problem. On level ground the oil should be level with the bottom of the hole. Check after the motor has been idling for several minutes.

The one on the LEFT side under the shifter is the correct one to drain the crankcase.

Joe

MOFO
08-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by nofearhonda

Please dont spew this crap unless you have hard proof evidence (which I know you dont because its not true).

MANY, MANY members, including myself, have been running synthetic (Mobil 1) since the day our quads have been new. Not ONE has burnt a clutch out due to the oil. If you burnt your clutch out, you had other problems.

Bill Fuller
08-05-2003, 02:12 AM
Change your oil often,very often.I would change the oil after any period of hard riding.I normally change it about every weekend at the least after every race(XC).I use Honda HP4 20/50 with or with out molly,it's more expensive but it works great.I have never ran synthetic oil,I have heard mixed results so I just stick with what is proven (to me) to work.You can get oil filters from just about any auto parts store STP not sure exactly what the numbers are but I believe SMO-015.Change filter every time!

25-30 hours......what a bunch of chit, if you don't know or your just a plain ol smartass please refrain from giving advice:mad: :cuss: Same for you 400exrider.

Woodsrider
08-05-2003, 02:27 AM
Don't forget to change the crush washer on both of the drain bolts as well. Those are there for a reason, to prevent over torquing the bolt. Honda puts crush washers on every drain bolt in every thing they make. get the washers and change them.

MOFO
08-06-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Don't forget to change the crush washer on both of the drain bolts as well. Those are there for a reason, to prevent over torquing the bolt. Honda puts crush washers on every drain bolt in every thing they make. get the washers and change them.

Yep, I agree about those crush washer. I think this might be why alot of people were busting their oil tank. That crush washer is meant to be like a gasket and compress... if its been used a few times, your tank is gonna start taking some stress IMO.

08-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by mx440#55
The other drain plug under the shifter? Unless my motor is completely different, it's sort of under the clutch cover below the filter which one is the other drain plug? my gears are kind of sticking & are getting harder to shift....it is now very difficult to get into neutral too.....i think its the one with the "A" next to it???should i undo this one when i do my next oil change? thanks... http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p3e3576e59d19ca10870b787fd1747b0d/fb6eed79.jpg

Chef
08-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by nofearhonda

I've never burnt up a clutch from running synthetics...and I know for damn sure that I am putting a whole lot more stress on it than your motor would ever dream of.:o

08-09-2003, 03:35 PM
how so chef? u ride the hell out of 1st gear or something?

ewalker302
08-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Peep this......

http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/oil.html

This is under the tech articles section on this site's home page.
There's lots of other really good info there too.

This will have some great pics, to show you where the bolt is.
Also it will walk you through the right way to do a Oil/Filter change.

& cmon guys, let him get the oil change proceure down before we start the synthetic/regular oil thing for the 100th time.

But he did ask about oil.
So, just my 2 cents:

All of the manuals call for regular old 10w-40 for almost all local temp variations.

I'm about to switch my bike to synthetic, (red cap mobil 1) just because I think it's a better poduct & lot of guys on this site love this oil & haven't had any probs at all.

Just make sure you don't use any oil, or additives that have friction modifiers in them.

That will screw up your clutch quick.

But no matter what oil you decide to run, if you change it regularly, or when the oil starts to turn dark, you will be fine.

Honda builds damn near bulletproof engines, & as long as you change that oil on a regular basis regardless of type or brand,
you use, it will run pretty much forever.

:bandit:

Bill Fuller
08-10-2003, 03:38 AM
Hey Crazyman, yes that is the other bolt (behind gear shifter)it is a 12mm.You should take this bolt out for every oil change.Sounds like your transmission might be in need of a rebuild.When you have shifting problems it is probably do to a worn shift drum or missing teeth from 2nd and 3rd gears.If you continue to ride it be prepared for a grinding noise when this happens shut it down immediatly do NOT try to run the motor any more or it will cost you.

08-10-2003, 05:45 AM
well its not actually a problem yet....its just a little bit more difficult....do you thiink my clutch has anything to do with it???

Chef
08-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
how so chef? u ride the hell out of 1st gear or something?

Horsepower + traction = stress.;)

08-10-2003, 11:35 AM
ok....:huh

Flyin#3-1/2
08-15-2003, 05:01 PM
25-30 hours......what a bunch of chit, if you don't know or your just a plain ol smartass please refrain from giving advice Same for you 400exrider.

so after how many hours ARE you supposed to change them???

08-17-2003, 05:36 AM
when your oil turns black But I change mine every 700 miles anyways.

sickmojave
08-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Flyin#3-1/2

the owner's manuel says to break it in for 20 hours than change it every 100 hours or 600 miles whichever comes first:confused2

Flyin#3-1/2
08-18-2003, 08:24 AM
yea i read my manual and it says 20 miles the first time, and 100 after that...so i'll go by that, mine's used so i'll probably do it every 75 miles just to be safe.

08-18-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
25-30 hours......what a bunch of chit, if you don't know or your just a plain ol smartass please refrain from giving advice:mad: :cuss: Same for you 400exrider.

It's a guideline for someone who doesn't know. I don't think anyones getting out the stopwatch and timing it :rolleyes:

08-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Flyin#3-1/2

There is no set amount of hours. It depends on how hard you are riding and for how long you ride nonstop. If you just recreationally ride you can get a lot more time between oil changes as opposed to a MX racer who just finished racing 3 motos or a GNCC guy after a straight 2+ hour race. When the oil starts to change colors and darken it means its breaking down. This is a good time to change the oil and filter.

08-18-2003, 12:27 PM
75 miles??????????...the oil isnt even starting to break down yet I dont think.:rolleyes:

Flyin#3-1/2
08-19-2003, 03:48 AM
i do trail riding and on tracks, and i don't ride it THAT hard, but i will probably try to get the oil changed every week to every other week. once school starts up, i won't be riding that much anyway.