PDA

View Full Version : help quick, please!

hondarider2006
08-03-2003, 11:00 PM
hey guys. I have yet anoth stupid jetting question....Ok I got the dyno jet kit, and jetted like they said. I am running a 170 with no lid, and put the clip on the 3rd position. Turned the mixture screw out 3.5 turns. it kinda ran a little choppy, so I put the clip on the 4th position, and turned my mixture screw out about half a more turn. I took it down the road tonight, and about 1/4 throttle, maybe a little more, it runs kinda choppy. Like its cutting in and out. Also when it ides, it dosn't idle very well. If I go down a hii or somthing, and go fast, when I hit the bottem it will die. Could someone please head me in the right direction on what to do here? Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance -Nick-

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Warning Long Post!

I am running dyno jets also. I installed the kit last week, so I thought I would answer your post since its still fresh in my mind.

While I have slightly different mods we are both fairly stock.

It seems that you are running at least 1 maybe 2 sizes too rich on the main.

Here is my opinion, but im sure you will get others.

Im in Mississippi your in Alaska, so I'm not going to recomend a size b/c many variables come into play when jetting (temperature-altitude, etc)

But try this I bet it will solve your problems.

In my experience and from what I have read in other posts this is usually a trial and error sort of thing. Was for me anyway.

First put the needle and the mix screw back in the stock position.

Next start dropping main jet size, I know the kit says 170, but that jet- (DJ170) is the biggest size main that comes with the kit.

You probably wont need that much jet until you get into the engine--(bore kit).

Test ride going down in main jet size until you get a noticeable improvement.

Then drop 1 more and see if its better or not.

I know after I paid 50 bucks and change for my box o' jets I wanted to make sure I had the best running one in my bike and not sitting on the shelf collecting dust so I tried em till I found the one that ran the best.

Dont sweat the #s on the jets--a stock 148 is one size smaller than a (DJ146). Thats what runs best in my bike, but all I have is a Uni Filter, slipon FMF megmaxII opened up all it will go, and where I ride the airbox lid is certainly requied (Sloppy Mud, Deep water, and sandy shallow creeks ). Water Water everywhere.
I lost count long ago on how many times ive drained milkshakes out of my 250sx since 86. Still runs like a champ though even after grenading my ring and pinion gears and then grinding the axle splines smooth due to the mix of water and sand I was using for gear oil.

Way off subject-I know I just love my Honda 3 wheelers.

Anyway you guys (and ladies) are here to learn right?
Real Quick----
If you got something with a shaft drive check the oil in the rear all of the time. If your getting water in there, REPLACE THE AXLE BEARINGS & OIL SEALS ASAP. Cost me about 400 bucks and who knows how many hours blood, and sweat replacing all the nasty gritty rusted frozen locked parts.
My theory has always been--Hey its worthless if its broke. And if you fool with anything for long enough you will make it work some day.

Oh yeah jets

OK I know this sounds like a lot of work.
And you may already know this, but you can swap the Dynojets super quick and easy (7-10 minutes)
First turn the gas valve off, and drain the fuel bowl (loosen the flathead screw on the bottom left side of the carb).

Then, just take the 17mm nut on the bottom of the carb off with a ratchet.

Then Kneel or lie down and look up into the hole. You can see the main jet right there, it will be pretty much flush with the hole.

Its easier to do if you pull off the black rubber crankcase vent tube off of the engine below the carb and just move it out of the way. If you do this be SURE to plug the hole with something a cork or whatever. You could leak gas in there which wouldnt be the end of the world, but I guarantee you dont want to drop a jet down there. I shudder just thinking about it.

Next get yourself a stubby flathead screwdriver and take out the jet, try to get a screwdriver thats short enough to fit straight up. Mine was slightly too long and that gave me a little trouble, but not much.

Now all you have to do is finesse, wiggle, and probably curse a little until you get the next smaller jet started, should be real easy after you catch that first thread. Snug that baby up with your short flathead and replace the nut.

Turn on the gas, check for leaks, then let her rip .

After you do it once you can swap the jets with your eyes closed (not really but its a lot easier after you do it once).

When I installed my DJ kit I broke the bike down to remove the carb, and really was dreading having to do it again if I had to swap them.

Then I read an earlier thread on this topic, and figured out how to swap the mains like this.

I also followed the recomendations that came with the kit and I was 1 size too big on my main. My engine ran and idled smooth enough, but the power and revs would not come up when I stomped it like it should.

After dropping a size the bike woke up big time.
I know it seems like the bigger the better, but Ill bet that if you try this you will see a big improvement.

If you still have problems with it dying and not wanting to idle, you should pick up a 40 or 42 size pilot jet as this is what affects idle. You will have to take off the carb bowl to swap this (unless somebody here knows another way?) If your bike idled fine before you put in the 170 you will probably be fine with your stock pilot.

One more thing you probably already know, but anyway
If your bike pops or backfires when you let off the gas your too lean, bump er back up 1 size and that should be perfect.

If you already knew all this, sorry for wasting your time.

I hope this post isn't redundant or too long.

I got off subject I know this, just felt like sharing this morning (Bored)

So feel free to flame away. I kinda like it.

Probably wont fight back so go all out.

Just thought id share my thoughts, maybe this will save someone some time swapping jets.

And if any of you got sand up your rear end or if its rubbin around on your shaft PM me id love to talk about it.

Oh yeah roost up some snow one time for me Hondarider2006 next time you get a chance.

I only get to do that once every 5-7 years.

I would love to let er rip in some deep powder

Thanks everybody
:bandit:

08-04-2003, 06:00 AM
^^ Could you please explain that again. I didn't fully understand..:eek2: :eek2:

Just kiddin..good info ;)

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 06:55 AM
Sometimes I dont know when 2 quit.

Pappy
08-04-2003, 06:58 AM
ok...half way thru the post i thought he was on dope....then i realized it was his signature:mad: :blah:

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Sorry bout that.

Ive been lurking here 4 a while.
But I just started posting.

Cut my sig in half, probably still 2 long.

But I just like to share

JabberJaw
08-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
ok...half way thru the post i thought he was on dope....
Now we see you have it backwards!

hondarider2006
08-04-2003, 03:50 PM
thanks for all of the info. I am gonna try going down a main jet size and see what happens. what is the stock mixture screw setting? ewalker302, thank you for all the help, and I won't see any snow for a couple more months. I will be sure to shred some snow for you though. I don't get that much, maybe a foot or 2. But when I go to artic man(anyone else from alaska would know what it is....) there is a good 12 feet or so. I will see how good it does there:blah: anyways, thanks everyone

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 07:52 PM
I want to say 2 1/2 turns out, I may be wrong but I know thats close.