PDA

View Full Version : 400ex aftermarket

400exChic
01-22-2002, 11:43 AM
My first post to this forum :) I have a stock 2001 400ex and am wanting to get into racing mx. I am looking into an exhaust, big gun or white bros.? Which would be better? I know the big gun is expensive, so I was wondering if it is that much better. I also am putting a K&N Filter on it. What else should I do to it? I am also getting my fenders cut down. I'm pretty new to this so all the help I can get would be great. Thanks a lot.

lil'redrocket
01-22-2002, 11:49 AM
for racing mx your best upgrades would be wider a-arms, wheels spacers, and smaller tires 18rear 19 front. but mainly its 80%rider 20% quad. by the way what part of missouri are you from?

01-22-2002, 01:13 PM
welcome to the site young lady...:D

I would have to suggest chassis upgrades before motor upgrades..smaller tires and stronger rims are gonna help you more than motor upgrades probably. Not sayin gettin an aftermarket exhaust won't but since your just gettin into racin,,the motor should be enough for you at this time...

Honestly here's what I highly recommend you get to start racin....

1st and most important protective gear,,chestprotector, goggles, good helmet, and riding boots..not work boots,,riding boots.

A good set of handlebars,,renthal, tag, 909, etc.

prodesign kill switch,,,a must at most tracks.

nerfbars your choice of brand.

then tires,,,and on to other things.

Tommy 17
01-22-2002, 01:41 PM
how much money are u look in to spend????

def get nerfs they are a live saver... also ur gonna need a teather switch and head light covers...

Juggalo
01-22-2002, 03:34 PM
i agree with getting the nerfs and kill switch (first thing i did to mine) but if you must have the pipe get the white brothers. its way better than big gun. all big gun's are very mediocre.

400exChic
01-22-2002, 03:54 PM
Okay, thanks guys. When I bought it the guy was getting it ready for racing, so he put a kill switch on it and some kind of dirtbike handlebars. They are pretty cool. I don't want to spend a lot, but then again I want to put the best on it. I don't want to waste my time and money by putting something on it and then going out and just replacing it with something better in a year. Oh, and I already have all the gear, not work boots... riding boots :) Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

400exChic
01-22-2002, 03:58 PM
I forgot to mention one thing. I'm also getting it ready for the dunes in a few months. So, some help on that would be great too. Where's the best place to get paddle tires?

ChadEXer
01-22-2002, 04:55 PM
There aint nothin like a chic who loves riding her EX:D

Tommy 17
01-22-2002, 07:14 PM
chic get the nerf bars... get ac pro peg... and get steel brake lines they will help u alot to stop better...

01-23-2002, 11:22 AM
I WOULD PERSONALLY GO WITH THE LRD RACING PIPE. YOU CAN GET THE WHOLE SYSTEM IN CHROME , WHICH LOOKS SWEET, FRON DUNCAN RACING THE CHEAPEST I HAVE FOUND. SUSPENSION AND SAFETY ARE THE MAIN CONCERNS FOR AMATURE RACERS. SUSPENSION WILL HELP YOU GO FASTER ON THE MX TRACK. BY THE WAY THE LRD PIPE SOUNDS THE BEST BY FAR AND I GET THAT OPINION FROM EVERYONE THAT HAS EVER HEARD OR SAW IT. GOOD LUCK IN RACING!

MOOCAZEN
01-23-2002, 01:03 PM
I GOT FRONT RAZORS ON STOCK RIMS AND REAR SANDSHARKS ON DOUGLAS BLACK LABELS, ALL THE SET HAS ONLY BENN USED 2X, ASKING 190 SHIPPED, LOOK AT THE PRICES AROUND JUST FOR THE REARS, THAT WAY YOU HAVE A WHOLE SETUP

PhilMoore
01-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Don't waste your money on an exhaust pipe. The only thing they are good for is losing a little bit of weight.

Definately get nerfs and aluminum bars.

Then, get some front shocks.

A wider axle helps a lot for cornering. You might be able to get by with wheel spacers, but if you are going for big air, you should just get an axle to start with.

I just got some sand tires from Rocky Mountain ATV. They were reasonably priced. I have had good luck with Rocky Mountain ATV.

The stock rims and tires are fine for amature racing.

I say you should get some nerfs on there, and go race. See how you like it. If you will race at the same track all the time, you should be able to figure out what you need to mod. Check out the other quads (especially the winners!). Find out what they have, then figure out a plan for your own upgrades.

Oh yeah, do some excercise to get into shape. Most of the MX racing is being able to keep a good pace and not get so tired you fall off the quad. :)

Winning, (or even placing for a trophy) is a great feeling. But personally, nothing beats the rush I get when the gate is about to drop!

Stevo
01-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Yeh pipes are a waste of money. I had a white brother's pipe on mine for a couple months and it was soo annoying. I put the stock one back on. I don't know why but i was racing my one friend's 400ex with white brothers pipe and i repeaditly beat him. One time by as much as 3 quad lengths maybe 4.

I'm getting into racing this year as well, so i'm gonna get some things too. I already have the renthal bars, works front shocks w/rezzys, skids, and took some things offf for weak, mud guards, etc.

I've got graydon nerfs comming for it and i should be set. The only thing i might do if i'm gonna be getting too much air is send the rear shock off to pep or works and have them revalve it.

400exChic
01-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Hey guys... I really appreciate all of your posts. I am still thinking Big Gun or White Bros. on exhausts. Is it good to turn the front tires out? Cause I was thinking of doing that too. Oh, and I do happen to excercise... every morning and every night :) So, I think I'm okay on that part of it, but thanks for the help.

PhilMoore
01-27-2002, 09:37 AM
The problem with flipping the front rims is it takes some work, and some money. Then, if you don't like it, it takes more work and money to put them back.

I flipped the rims on my wifes 250EX, and she likes it just fine. She is not racing MX though. I don't think flipping the front rims is wise if you are MX racing, because you are getting rammed by other quads, taking big jumps, etc. Flipping the rims changes the geometry of the front end causing a higher pressure to be put on the steering. This can cause the bars to jerk and twist much more violently if your front wheel gets hit by another quad or something. You might be able to aleviate some of this effect by adding a steering stabilizer. They cost even more money though. ($130-$400) Although, if you decide you will stick with racing, you will eventually want a stabilizer anyway.
New A-arms are the way to go for a wider front end.

For amature racing, just adding rear wheel spacers, or a wider axle will help your stability a lot.

Good Luck
phil

400exChic
01-29-2002, 09:50 AM
Hey guys... wrecked my quad Sunday :( But I think everything is okay. I ugh went up a steep hill and didn't exactly make it all the way up, well, this was after I had already wrecked once... hehe. But it just bent up some stuff which is fixed and tore up some stickers and it's fine :) Thank God! But I am very sore. My leg is swollen, but it could be a lot worse. Damn it was so much fun though.

01-29-2002, 10:20 AM
What the heck you doin wreckin twice in one day,,your supposed to limit yourself to one wreck per riding day..:D

It's good to hear your OK and that the quad is still rideable,,be careful the next time your out please..:)