PDA

View Full Version : flattrack racing advice needed

mxracer111
08-03-2003, 05:15 PM
i want to start racing flatrack,
what size tires and wheels and types do i need? how about compunds? is a lowering kit necessary? how about a sway bar?

any tips for getting started? i have it setup for MX with a lobo 2 long travel front end on it now with 4 and 1 offset wheels to stay under 50 inches..... i should stay with the 4 and 1s for flat track?

mxracer111
08-03-2003, 05:17 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p5d7a6ac77c70f3f15734f903762360b5/fb7e14a6.jpg

Chef
08-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Yea, go ahead and keep the 4-1's for the flat track. Drop ride height clips clear to the to the top (lowest ride height) and when you feel that its low enough (think about 8 inches less seat height than right now) and try to keep the bike either level from front to rear, or a little tiny bit higher in the back. Its better to be higher in the back than lower, as higher will get you better hook up off the line. If you cant get it low enough, take your ZPS spring out, and it should do it. Get it to where you feel that its low enough, then when you get to the track, if its still higher than everyone elses, drop it a bit. You might need a rear lowering link for the rear, but I doubt it, with the ZPS.

As for tires, the track size really makes a difference. The fronts, you will want a 18x6x10 Hoosier or American Racer. Hoosiers are a better tire for front or rear, but they are more spendy. For a big track, the 18x8x10 American Racers work really well, but if you have the horsepower to pull em, 18x10x10's really get the job done right. Small tracks, usually the wider the tire the better, unless it is super super tacky and you are down on horsepower. Then, obviously, you would want a narrower tire to keep it from holdin the motor down. Beadlocks are your friend in close racing. I have seen a few tires pop off the wheel from contact with a beadlock, because the tire was already rolled over in the corner, and the beadlock ring hittin it was the only thing it needed to pop it off the rest of the way. If money for tires is a problem, you will want the equivalent of a 33 compound American Racer, or a 38 if you really want them to last. If money is no object for tires, go with a RD12 or RD 10 Hoosier or a 23 American Racer.

A sway bar is a must, you really definitely need it if the track has any speed carried in the corners at all. Make sure you dont get some home made non adjustable piece of junk, get a Rath or Durablue or Lonestar. Or a copy of any of the above will work great too.

08-03-2003, 05:43 PM
ahh i see you got the pics, i have the same seat as you , i love it even if it is a yamaha engine...its honda too...a yondaha

mxracer111
08-03-2003, 05:47 PM
thats great advice... thanks alot....

you have any ideas for lowering withouttaking springs off... idlike to keep it easily interchangable for mx to flat track....

i was thinking about buyying the durablue lowering kit and swaybar that was just listed on ebay for buy it now of $200... .what do you think?
as far as tires go.... i have plenty of power to spare with the

ported yz motor... she screams... so i think the 10 X10 will work fine.... i just have to find a good deal on tires...

have any sprocket suggestions.... as far as do i want it setup like mx... or really tall? i have never raced and type of flattrack before...thanks for the help

and i prefer HONDAHA

Chef
08-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by mxracer111
thats great advice... thanks alot....

you have any ideas for lowering withouttaking springs off... idlike to keep it easily interchangable for mx to flat track....

i was thinking about buyying the durablue lowering kit and swaybar that was just listed on ebay for buy it now of $200... .what do you think?
as far as tires go.... i have plenty of power to spare with the

ported yz motor... she screams... so i think the 10 X10 will work fine.... i just have to find a good deal on tires...

have any sprocket suggestions.... as far as do i want it setup like mx... or really tall? i have never raced and type of flattrack before...thanks for the help

How big of a track will you be on? You might not need to take any springs out, the ZPS will probably drop it pretty good by itself.

mxracer111
08-03-2003, 05:52 PM
i looked at the track.... it looks like maybe a 1/4 mile oval.... has decent banked corners... not too much though... might be a shorter track than that... not really sure

mxracer111
08-03-2003, 05:56 PM
what do you think about these?
i know the front wheels are the wrong offset.... but other than that... what do you think?

swaybar (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43974&item=2426561466)

tires and wheels (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43983&item=2426560850)

Chef
08-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Whoops...I thought I posted a few minutes ago...lol

Run an equivalent to a 15/36 on a EX...that should treat you well on the quarter mile.

That sway bar looks great, like brand new. I personally dont like lowering kits, but you can use them if you want.

If I were you, I would buy those tires and wheels right now.:macho

mxracer111
08-03-2003, 06:08 PM
what about the offset of the fronts.? will make me too wide? or would it be ok?

i guess i could just sell the front wheels... and get 4 in 1 s

price seems kinda high for the wheels and tires.... but i guess being new... and flattrack stuff seems to be expensive...

Chef
08-03-2003, 06:11 PM
The Hoosier tires are over 400 dollars alone. Plus the wheels, etc. I dont know if the wheels would make a big difference...but you would probably want some 4-1's.

naxbansheekid11
08-03-2003, 09:44 PM
hey chef

is that Randy`s sway bar for nac`s racing any good? its 189.99

Bean
08-04-2003, 08:33 AM
it all works in the same way (swaybars), the more expensive ones are made of better materials, more ajustable, and the name

gear it to where you can keep it in around 3 gears, in a 1/4, you wont need 5th, also, here is a tip for starting, NEVER sit at the gate with your bike in gear and the clutch pulled in, it will cause the clutch to slip on the start, so roll up to the gate, put it in nuetral or however you spell it, and wait for the 5sec warning, and put it in 2nd if possible, then your clutch will still be cool, and you wont have the problem of hitting neutral sometimes

seven
08-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Every track is diffrent, Look whos winning and see what they run.