View Full Version : how do i search for vin numbers

exrider123
08-03-2003, 04:52 PM
My bro is getting a 400ex and we wanna to search on the computer to check if its stolen or not so we took down the vin and we dont know of any way of searching over the interent can anyone help

4wheelboy
08-03-2003, 05:00 PM
most people scratch the vin off after they steal a quad.
and no i never stole a quad:eek: :)

CHAUNCY
08-03-2003, 05:00 PM
I dont think you can search online to see if it is a stolen bike. You have to take it to the local sherrif and they can run the #'s for you if they feel like it:ermm: The DMV might do it also:ermm:

Flyin#3-1/2
08-03-2003, 05:02 PM
the DMV will do it for you.

JLanphear
08-04-2003, 04:11 AM
Be sure you get this done, I lost the Banshee I had because it was a previously stolen quad. I even had the thing registered through the state, but it must have slipped through and they didn't catch it. I was stopped one day for another violation and it came back stolen, and now it's gone. Currently going through the court system to get my money back from the guy I bought it from, but not sure of my chances :( .

The thing I don't get is that here in VT you can't verify a VIN# with the Police Dept. over the phone.

I was looking at another quad after and called the Police dept. and asked how to verify that it wasn't stolen. The lady said to bring it in and they would verify it, but then I explained that I was looking to buy the ATV and I didn't think that the owner would really like me to load it in the truck and drive it to the police barracks...lol.

She passed me to another lady that said the same thing, and I explained AGAIN, that I did not own the quad. She said that there was nothing that they could do. I asked why they couldn't do it over the phone and she said that an officer needs to physically see the quad because they give a signed piece of paper with it verifying that it wasn't stolen. I said that I didn't need the piece of paper right now, and they still wouldn't do it.

I get a little upset with the legal system now after my Banshee situation, and this is one of the reasons. You try to do something the right way and they are no help. I'm also the only one losing out regarding the stolen quad. The guy I bought it from got my money, the guy before him got insurance money plus the other guys money, and the repo company ended up recovering the quad and reselling it. The police did not pursue the case and try to charge the person that commited the crime with anything.

LOL...Now I'm rambling...Anyway, try your local police dept., and if they say no call the DMV and see if they will do it. If they won't, then make sure all of the paperwork (bill of sale, title, etc.) is completed when you buy it and take it directly to the police station to be checked out.

-Josh