PDA

View Full Version : i want to go faster

G Rincon
08-03-2003, 03:59 PM
ok what kinda suggetions does anyone have about going faster for a 03 400ex.. i want it to be cheap suggestions though, i know if u bore it and things like that , but does anyone know any secrets about going fast and being within a reasonable budget.. thanks for the help.. irace a 300 ft drag on weekends and ride during the week i want to be able to go fast on the weekend at the drag by not having alot of top end ,, and being able to smoke my friends during the week by having alot of top end,, i want temporary mods like gears and things like that something that i can change if i dont like it..:rolleyes: thanks

stupid driver
08-03-2003, 05:56 PM
eat a can of beans before each race. that stuff is like NOS :devil:

nakomis0
08-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Use a 14 tooth sprocket for drags. Removing the butterfly choke of the carb could help.

Other than that theres not much else to do. Some other cheap mods would be.

a Cam
Slip on exhaust
K&N filter.

JOEX
08-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by stupid driver
eat a can of beans before each race. that stuff is like NOS :devil:
Yeah, but you have remove the seat and air box lid to get the most out of it!:blah: :devil: :D

Anyway... Sprocket and tire size combinations are probably the simplest changes to make.

Joe

Tommy 17
08-04-2003, 04:15 AM
take ur head pipe off and grind the welds out of it....

remove ur rev limiter but don't try to start it when its cold bc they don't start....

remove ur choke...

make sure ur throttle is adjusted so the carb opens up the whole way...

take the spark arrestor screen out of ur pipe

play with ur gearing and tire size...

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 12:25 PM
I remember a post a while back where a guy said he replaced his front shocks with square steel tubing w/ holes drilled in em to mount em in place of the shocks (just for draggin of course). And was whippin everybody at the local drags.

Also I think he said to make them a good bit shorter than the shocks like 10 or 12 inches long.

I dunno but I can see how this may work.
First, with the front lower & solid you should be able to hit it a lot harder without poppin up as much.

Also I think that when the front shocks compress on a drag strip its basically just pumpin hp in the ground ? Some of you shock guys would know more about this than me.

Im certainly no expert I just remember reading another post where this guy said he was killin modded bikes with this setup on a stock 400.

Anyway I think it was in the racing forum.
Almost free & easy 2 swap maybe worth a try.

:bandit:

CoorsMan
08-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Race down hill only!!!!!!

sparks400ex101
08-04-2003, 05:33 PM
run a 12 tooth front sprocket, take off the whole airbox, rejet , take out choke, k&n's , a pipe(sparks), lower it front and back, and get some 18 in tamers for the rear and groove them, cut fenders, and save as much weight as possible take off heal guards, run no bumper, take off parking break, stuff like that, well anyways thats our set up and it works really good

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 05:59 PM
where do u geta 12 front sprocket it sounds kinda low,, i am thinking about just getting a 12 if they make and getting. like a 16 too. so i will have the 12 the 15 the 14 and the 16.. that way i will be able to tell for myself because everyone always tell me different answers

JOEX
08-04-2003, 06:09 PM
The front sprocket is probably the cheapest and simplest gearing change to make. The rear is just as simple but a few $'s more.

Just get the 14 and 16 and I bet those will fit your needs.

Does anyone even make a 12 or 13 tooth for the 400ex?

Joe

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 06:23 PM
ok if i run a 16 tooth front what would be the back to run to get maximum top end.. and what comes on the back stock .. man i am sorry

sparks400ex101
08-04-2003, 06:24 PM
yup they do side winder, people make 10 teeth

sparks400ex101
08-04-2003, 06:25 PM
if your doin 300ft drags you dont need top end trust me with the mods above youll run killer times

cals400ex
08-04-2003, 06:35 PM
the stock rear is a 38 tooth on a 400ex. a 36 will give more top end speed, however i don't know that you need a top end front and rear sprocket on.

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 06:48 PM
if any of u all run 300ft drags what are ur times i am running 5.555 is my lowest so far but that is because i have only raced once i am sure i can get better times ,,, and i was just asking to see how to get maximum top end and maximum btm end on sprocket setups

i am running a 03 400ex with titanium 4 slipp on, air box lid is off 165 dyno jet , splitfire racing plug, 14 tooth front sprocket that is how i am getting my times now. if i put a ratchet strap on the front and rear suspension and pull them down , will that help my times,,, ive seen other people do it what kinda improvment would it make ,, like would it make me run a 5.333 or something like that

sparks400ex101
08-05-2003, 08:03 AM
i would improve your times alot if your bike is lower, i dont suggest strapping it down, it may be more expensive but i recomend getting a pair of 250ex shocks for the front or buy a durablue lowering kit wich is around 65 bucks(magic racing.com), but when you lower the front make sure you lower the back or it will be harder to catch traction, and it will hop around