PDA

View Full Version : rev limiter, gears, jets,exhaust..

G Rincon
08-03-2003, 03:51 PM
ok what is a rev limiter, and a rev box, i heard if you could take the rev limiter off u can go faster i have a 400ex o3 model.. ok i race sometimes on the weekend at rolling thunder race park in logan wva and it is a 300 foot dragrace what is the best gear combination for that kinda race.. i have a slipp on titanium 4 exhaust, 165 dyno jet , air box lid is off and 14 tooth front gear.. if anyone has any other suggestions for my quad please tell me kinda cheap suggestions though. i also heard that i shouldnt even bother getting the headers for my titanium 4 unless i have had major engine work done ,, is that true ? if i get the headers can i run a bigger jet ,,, and what is the highest dyno jet i can use, and still be able to use the airbox lid..

JOEX
08-03-2003, 07:27 PM
WOW! Alotta questions there bro...... I'll see what I can do...
No garruntees my answers a correct!

Rev box/limiter.... It controls the timing advance and prevents over reving. I don't think you can run without it. It can be modified (by a professional) or replaced for about $100.

Gearing.... depends on tire size and if you want top speed or acceleration, I can't help you there.

165 sounds to be pretty close..... i'm not familiar with the Titanium 4 pipes.

I've heard the same thing about headers.. not worth it without motor mods.

Don't get the header unless you get motor mods.

If you have the money work on the suspension first.:)

Joe

cals400ex
08-03-2003, 07:50 PM
depending on your temperature and altitude your riding at, i think a dynojet 165 is too big. i am running a keihin 160 with a complete x-6 pipe, uni filter, no choke, and no air box lid. also for drag racing, i would put your 15 tooth sprocket back on. the rev box won't do much if anything for you on a stock bike in a 300 foot drag.

G Rincon
08-04-2003, 12:03 PM
how come u say u would put the 15 tooth sproket back on i heard 14 was good for dragging... at leats 300ft,,, are u sure?:(

cals400ex
08-04-2003, 07:10 PM
many disagree with me here. i just guess a lot has to do with your riding style and how you take off. i actually put my a 16 tooth front on and in a drag i did not lose any. however, coming out of a corner in a tight trail, you will lose something. i don't know what gear you get into in a 300ft drag. i do know that my friend put a 14 tooth on his 400ex and he had the throttle response advantage but by the time we were in third, i was passing him. i say the 15 is better and many disagree. do both and see what you have better luck with.