PDA

View Full Version : A rumor from GT thunder!!

300EX_HMF
08-03-2003, 03:06 PM
yeah a friend of mine that is sponsered by GT thunder said that they have produced a plastic that is harder than aluminum and could possibly use it as a piston!! im like what the ****!! that would be lighter than ****!!!

and didnt i hear couple months ago that Honda bought a bunch of wastes or something and are using it for a quad??? becuase that plastic is a kind of waste product!

what do you guys think???

Atreyu
08-03-2003, 03:07 PM
I was with you on the first paragraph but you lost me :huh

300EX_HMF
08-03-2003, 03:15 PM
ok forget about the 2nd paragraph then i might of not herd about it anyway but oh well!

freakystone
08-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by 300EX_HMF
yeah a friend of mine that is sponsered by GT thunder said that they have produced a plastic that is harder than aluminum and could possibly use it as a piston!! im like what the ****!! that would be lighter than ****!!!

and didnt i hear couple months ago that Honda bought a bunch of wastes or something and are using it for a quad??? becuase that plastic is a kind of waste product!

what do you guys think???

I think it is just that... a rumor... There are multi-million and billion dollar companies out there that deal in the development of materials such as plastic as metal replacement. Companies such as Wacker, Reichold, Air Products, Dupont, Shell Chemical, etc.

So we are to believe that GT Thunder has beat them to the punch?

Let's start another "New Honda" rumor and have more fun speculating.

300EX_HMF
08-03-2003, 03:24 PM
well now that u understand let me get to the real good part!!
they are also gonna make plastic valves!!this way they will beat yamaha by having there quad lighter! and since this plastic is much harder and stuff why not make the cases plastic, or the frame or the swingarm and such and such!

but for real NO LIE! i did hear they have found or have made a plastic harder than aluminum but are just trying to figue to see if it will stand the heat!! but im wondering sinces its plastic......will it be cooler, less friction!!

Striker49
08-03-2003, 03:43 PM
well now that u understand let me get to the real good part!!
they are also gonna make plastic valves!!this way they will beat yamaha by having there quad lighter! and since this plastic is much harder and stuff why not make the cases plastic, or the frame or the swingarm and such and such!

but for real NO LIE! i did hear they have found or have made a plastic harder than aluminum but are just trying to figue to see if it will stand the heat!! but im wondering sinces its plastic......will it be cooler, less friction!!

What in the hell?! Plastic piston and valves? :huh News flash dude, plastic melts. It may be harder than aluminum...wait, isnt plastic already a little tougher than aluminum now? :rolleyes:

You arent talkin bout hot-wheels model Honda's now are ya? You must have gotten confused somewhere.

ROFLMGDAO.

TheRedRebel17
08-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Striker49
What in the hell?! Plastic piston and valves? :huh News flash dude, plastic melts. It may be harder than aluminum...wait, isnt plastic already a little tougher than aluminum now? :rolleyes:

You arent talkin bout hot-wheels model Honda's now are ya? You must have gotten confused somewhere.

ROFLMGDAO.
DUH..plastic doesnt melt:huh :huh :devil:

Besides even so, it doesnt get hot enough in teh combustion proces it melt it:ermm: :confused2

Striker49
08-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by TheRedRebel17
DUH..plastic doesnt melt:huh :huh :devil:

Besides even so, it doesnt get hot enough in teh combustion proces it melt it:ermm: :confused2

:p It was still funny when I first read it...lol.

Engines and plastic just doesnt go together. Drability would shrivil and die...plastic warps a little easier than metal does, right?

I dunno, I doubt GT Thunder would be the company to beat anyone else to the punch to makin plastic motor parts when there are multi-billion dollar industries out there today who specialize soley in researching this stuff. :huh

TheRedRebel17
08-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Striker49
:p It was still funny when I first read it...lol.

Engines and plastic just doesnt go together. Drability would shrivil and die...plastic warps a little easier than metal does, right?

I dunno, I doubt GT Thunder would be the company to beat anyone else to the punch to makin plastic motor parts when there are multi-billion dollar industries out there today who specialize soley in researching this stuff. :huh

I hope you found my first reply humorus....

a piece of plastic will start to melt at something like 160 degrees i think..and a piece of metal.....you get my point
:devil:

Juggalo
08-03-2003, 04:10 PM
plastic engine components have been out for a while now. you guys are thinking of every day plastics (by the way there are THOUSANDS each with their own compositions and melting points strengths weaknesses ect) plastics can be engineered to be heat resistant to thousands of degreees. there are plastics out there that are tougher than most metals too. its all in the chemicals used to make them. plastic engine parts are a good idea, but not a new idea. i hope they do come out with this technology on a machine sold to everyday people.

4wheelboy
08-03-2003, 04:26 PM
plastic pistons and valves?. yea and im elvis:rolleyes: :devil:

tants
08-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy

well then hello there KING ;)

EXracer8604
08-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy

i thought elvis was dead?

Atreyu
08-03-2003, 04:31 PM
plastic engine components have been out for a while now. you guys are thinking of every day plastics (by the way there are THOUSANDS each with their own compositions and melting points strengths weaknesses ect) plastics can be engineered to be heat resistant to thousands of degreees. there are plastics out there that are tougher than most metals too. its all in the chemicals used to make them. plastic engine parts are a good idea, but not a new idea. i hope they do come out with this technology on a machine sold to everyday people.

Truth

trx400ex
08-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Elvis lives, it said so on the back of my EL Fudge cookie, i was gonna take a pic and show you guys, but i ate it:( . Or was it Elves live:confused: .Hmm. Another one of life mysteries i suppose

hondafox440
08-03-2003, 04:39 PM
I could see using polymers, but its not going to be a "plastic" persay.

CowsBitePeople
08-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Tants brought back the avatar from long ago :macho uhh plastic piston sounds nifty

TheOneYouHate
08-03-2003, 05:18 PM
I would think it would be really unreliable :confused:

TC17
08-03-2003, 05:19 PM
that might be a good idea if they coated it with heavy duty steal or something. but then the plastic inside might melt and then the steal coating break and then you have one ****ed up cylinder:eek:

08-03-2003, 08:49 PM
coolio :confused:

Juggalo
08-03-2003, 08:56 PM
the freakin plastics not gonna melt!! lol

it can be done. trust me!

popo
08-03-2003, 11:28 PM
I just talked to GT Thunder and its true they have new plastic pistons that will turn 20,000 RPM, and were designed by Elvis who is now living in his basement.

Taking orders! send paypal payments to Elvis@paypal.com

Guy400
08-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Guys, as funny as it may sound the technology is there and has already been used. You guys are thinking of plastic like pop bottles or ATV fenders. They used a polymer composite, a "plastic", for connecting rods almost 10 years ago. They were heat resistant but the problem was that they were too hard. Metal flexes a little and leads to better longevity. These plastic rods were so stiff that pistons and cranks were breaking. So before you laugh at this idea of plastic engine components know that they've already been used.

p@iNn3ck
08-04-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by freakystone
Companies such as Wacker, Reichold, Air Products, Dupont, Shell Chemical, etc.

Ok, its early Monday morning, and the baby got up at 4, so not much sleep here............
but, who the he][ names their company "Wacker"??????????????

nacs400ex
08-04-2003, 02:44 AM
lol, yeah there is a lot of companies that have weird names. Oh well.

YZROOSTINYA
08-04-2003, 05:56 AM
there are MANY production vehicles with plastic intake manifolds.

I can see it being done, just not right now....

cody anderson
08-04-2003, 07:41 AM
if its light doesen't that mean there wiil be no bottom end?

YZROOSTINYA
08-04-2003, 08:10 AM
no

the lighter the better. most of the time at least

its easier to add weight where its needed as opposed to taking it off

wilkin250r
08-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Juggalo is right. I deal with plastics everyday that don't melt at 800 degrees. Most thermoplastics are very brittle, I don't think they would work for a connecting rod, but possibly a piston.

I don't think we will see anything like this make it into a production quad anytime in the near future. We all know that when in comes to new technology, quads are second to dirtbikes. I don't see any plastic pistons in dirtbikes yet, it won't go into a quad for many years.

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Ok Ive been a car nut since I could read,

yeah theres plastic valve covers and such - used to have a 86 cj7 with one. It cracked and leaked of course.

Plastic intake manifolds??
Plastic intake manifold covers yeah got 1 on my Taurus but it sure as hell aint plastic or some super duper polymer underneath.

think about it, plastic, or whatever your callin it in my combustion chamber Not 4 me.

Mark my words,
Next big thing

Solid Ceramic & ceramic coated aluminum.

superlight Tough & shrugs off heat like nothin else.

Sure theres some new plastics & polymers that are plenty tough
& hard & whatever.

Maybe Im wrong, maybe im stupid

but pistons and valves? even at 8 to 1 compession and runnin only maybe 5000 RPM's.
Ya know theres actual explosions going on in there, lots and lots and lots of explosions under high pressures. Even steel & aluminum has a tough time in there if its not maintained properly.

Ive seen burnt aluminum and steel valves and smoked Aluminum pistons. No way Ill believe any plastic, or polymer or anything like that can hold up. To that kind of abuse.

I know technology is advancing very very fast. Ceramics for example is the next best idea i've seen that works in a while.

But I wont believe the "plastic" till I see it with my own eyes.
I still doubt that i could bring myself to pay money for it.

Then again maybe Ill look into some plastic headers for my Bronco when my Jet Hot coated steel ones wear out, They are just so darn heavy & maybe i could just bend em into place instead of wrestling with that old style steel.

That was a cheap shot--- I know.
Really id like to see it if its really real know what im sayin.
Just keepin it real.

Just my 2 cents, but I think somebodys gettin their leg pulled.

:bandit:

gojk
08-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Remember when they put plastic in the raptor tranny.

Houser Cannondale
08-04-2003, 04:23 PM
hmm.... carbon fiber?? isnt it lighter and stronger than aluminum?

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Houser Cannondale
hmm.... carbon fiber?? isnt it lighter and stronger than aluminum?

I really hope you are joking.

hmmm.....Balsa wood pistons & valves maybe you could rev it
so fast it wouldnt have time to catch fire.

I was really hoping someone would come up with some actual info on this "plastic" deal.

Other than just saying- Hey theres lots O new kinds of plastics & stuff out there.

A few years back I did a lot of research on handguns. I wanted to get a good pistol before that silly 10 round clip law went into effect (almost as stupid as the 3 wheeler ban).

Anyway I bought a new Glock and at the time from what I had read their polymer frames were supposed to be the most durable, "Plastic stuff" That could be made. They dropped em out of airplanes ran over em with semis, pretty much any kind of torture test they could think of like that & they came out workin perfectly, but as a piston???

Ive been thinking and maybe im wrong but wouldnt any type of polymer or plastic by definition have to be made using petroleum or petroleum by products? Just seems impossible to me.

I Figured this was a "joke" thread or something.

But I sure wouldnt mind being proven wrong.
I mean unless this whole thread is just a figment of someones imagination there should be some real info somewhere??

popo
08-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Somebody was pulling 300EX_HMF leg.

GT Thunder does not have a plastic pistons.

Lazarus has done some extensive R&D on plastic skid plates, which he currentely is running on his YZF.

TheX1992
08-05-2003, 08:04 AM
it would not suprize me. my dad does plastic molding. they can make plastic lighter than anything...or strongre than steel. they had a few orders comtemplating plastic engine blocks for a while.

300EX_HMF
08-05-2003, 08:41 AM
well i didnt mean like plastic plastic! but you never know something could just come up!

ewalker302
08-05-2003, 10:42 AM
well i didnt mean like plastic plastic! but you never know something could just come up!

Yeah and monkeys could fly out of my butt.

You guys who keep saying you know about this stuff post a link, some real info, something.

other than a friend of my dads brothers friend says------so & so.

If it's out there well then call your uncles buddies friend, and get some info, or quit makin this crap up.

massdabate
08-05-2003, 01:29 PM
i think there will be use of carbon fiber before plastic remember in an issue of dirtwheels cannondale had the prototype axle made out of carbon fiber

Houser Cannondale
08-05-2003, 01:30 PM
yup thats what i was thinkin. i saw that article too. some pretty cool stuff. :cool:

300EX_HMF
08-05-2003, 01:36 PM
we sure do got alot of DICKS in here!!! i never said it was true!!

Guy400
08-05-2003, 02:19 PM
The technology isn't used yet for 100% polymer engine components but it's already being used in pistons as we speak. Here's a link to the new Cadillac pistons with a polymer coating on the skirts to reduce friction.

http://media.gm.com/division/powertrain/products/engine/carengines/2004/lh2.doc

Do a search on "Grafal coating" and you'll find countless sites discussing it. It is a polymer-resin coating that is applied to piston skirts. Granted, the skirt isn't going to reach the temperatures that the piston crown is going to see (about 400deg. F vs. 1800deg. F) but the point is that polymer technology is advancing and it's already being used in high-temp/stress areas and is successful.

RideRed400StYlE
08-05-2003, 02:44 PM
I dont know about plastic pistons. but I do know that Dodge uses plastic components in their automatic transmissions, and also look at any craftsmen oil free air compressor. they use a plastic piston to fill the tank with air. they get pretty hot with no problems. I wouldnt doubt that it could be done, but you have to realize that plastic can be heavy too. I also think that this is a rumor. I dont see it in performance atvs just yet

wheeltrax
08-05-2003, 04:42 PM
leave plastic engines to polaris.. i hear they are coming out with an all balsa wood quad w/ a plastic engine..:huh

ewalker302
08-05-2003, 09:36 PM

We sure do get a lot of DICKS in here mostly they start crappy threads to waste peoples time.

The Grafal coating is just that, an extremely thin resin coating, but the actual piston is the same.

A compressor piston does not have a combustion chamber its just a pump.

Yeah carbon fiber is light and strong, but we were talking about pistons and valves, not axles.

Some guy's friend was jerking him around talking about plastic valves & pistons.

His friend was probably actually talking about the grafal coating, but the guy didnt have the common sense required to understand.

popo
08-05-2003, 10:10 PM

Than I would strongly suggest not stating it’s a rumor from GT Thunder than.

Mr. Sommers presents facts not fiction! And his loyal dedication to R&D proves it.