PDA

View Full Version : Oil Tank breakage

rhandw69
08-11-2001, 06:52 PM
Has anyone experience a breakage in theyre oil tank.
I went to change the oil,,,i couldnt get the bottom bolt loose so i torqued harder and the bolt along with the hole fubber falnge and washer literally broke away from the tank.. Now i have this quarter size hole in the bottom of my oil tank.
So, i guess im buying a new one.

Leo
08-11-2001, 07:31 PM
seems to be a fairly common problem...

oil tanks are expensive, even from www.servicehonda.com

depending on the age of your 400EX you might want to see your dealer..

moving this thread to the motor forum.

Leo

4punksdad
08-12-2001, 06:56 AM
why can't the bottom of th tank have a new nut welded to it? That would surely be cheaper than a new tank.

powerslider
08-12-2001, 05:35 PM
I would caution you about welding on the oil tank. You have the potential for an explosion there. The tank would have to be very clean and don't use a flamable cleaner. It may need to be filled with water before repairs are attempted. I've seen some serious injuries from this type of thing. no it wasn't me.

AlaskaSpeed
08-12-2001, 10:00 PM
Yeah, sounds like you may as well go with one of the aftermarket oil tanks with the larger capacity since you will have to spend a bunch of money anyways. Why did you OVER torque it to break it loose? Did I read your post wrong? JIM

rhandw69
08-13-2001, 09:15 AM
That night the wife and me went out to a movie (american Pie 2)
When i came home i noticed my freinds came over took it apart and welded it back together. I rode it yesterday for the first time to break it in from the overbore and it seemed to hold up pretty well. I think im going to order a new one just incase.
THanks for the replys
Rhan

SLB400EX
08-13-2001, 03:56 PM
:(
I was changing the oil in my husbands 440ex this morning..the bottom of the oil tank cracked as I was trying to get the drain bolt out. I didn't use a lot of force either. (and NO I don't over tighten the bolt) I gave it a little nudge here, a small nudge there and it wouldn't budge. I sat down on the ground to think and saw I small drop of oil..I knew I was in trouble because the bolt was still tight.
Rob took it to the shop and they are trying to get Honda to pay for it, so far it isn't going too well. They ordered a new tank for it.
I have read where sooo many tanks have broken.. :( ..this stinks.
Later, Sher

4punksdad
08-13-2001, 05:55 PM
welding the oil tank should not cause an explosion.........if you remove the oil line, the tank will be vented in more than one place.........a qualified welder will be needed since the tank is such thin metal, and a qualified welder will have no trouble.

08-15-2001, 06:39 PM
my 440 has a "somewhat"same problem. with the drain bolt tight...it still leaks oil. lil drops of it. but in one night there is a puddle.
i have gotten a new washer. i have taken it to a mechanic. and still it leaks.

does anyone have this probelm.....and what is goin on with it??
thanx

coryatver
08-15-2001, 08:07 PM
I have not broke the oil tank yet but once after i changed the oil i went for a ride and when i was riding my foot kept slipping off the peg and i stopped on got off and looked and oil was blowing out of the crank case bolt hole! I turned it off and about a quart of oil was still left in it so i hope it didn't hurt anything... I just didn't get the bolt tight enough! And that bolt is a honda car part number and my dealer didn't have it but i got one and he said I should replace the lock washer every couple of changes.

SLB400EX
08-16-2001, 07:09 AM
radchad, look and make sure the bottom of the tank isn't cracked, even slightly.
I didn't break his tank all the way out, I cracked it. It slowly dripped oil....
Good luck..
Sherri

400ex Magnum
08-16-2001, 07:59 AM
Sher

Have the Honda Gods delivered the new oil tank yet?

SLB400EX
08-16-2001, 12:07 PM
Not yet 400ex Magnum, our dealer is closed on Thursdays. Tomorrow is the day....keep your fingers crossed, I really want to go riding with you all!! I hope the Honda Gods are kind to us!!
Later, Sher

08-16-2001, 07:23 PM
im guessing my oil tank is cracked too cuz it dripps really really bad!

since im gettin the 465 kit in like 15 days it wouldnt hurt to get a larger capacity oil tank anyway.
does anyone know of larger oil tanks made for the 400ex?
is the one DG makes bigger?

thanx

Dave400ex
08-16-2001, 07:33 PM
Pingry`s makes an oversized oil tank. I`m not sure how much it costs though.

crday98
08-17-2001, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Pingry`s makes an oversized oil tank. I`m not sure how much it costs though. $249.95

crday98
08-17-2001, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by SLB400EX
:(
I was changing the oil in my husbands 440ex this morning.. why doesn't my wife do that for me:huh?that is love:) do you have any single sisters sherri?:D J/K

SLB400EX
08-17-2001, 05:51 AM
crday98...sorry, I don't have any sisters. You are not the first person to ask me that either. :blah

Sorry about the oil tank radchad...sucks doesn't it? :(

Later, Sherri

powerslider
08-17-2001, 09:20 PM
Gees Sher, I wonder who the first was.......LOL.........:D :D :D :D