PDA

View Full Version : need some serious clucth help

bigbadbrad
08-03-2003, 11:09 AM
ok well i just got my rear brakes back together on thursday, so i went for a ride to test the, well on my way home, it felt like i lost power, and then every once in a while i would get it back, i would have to have it pinned to be moving anywheres, so i stopped for a little bit and talked to some friends then when i went to take off it did not want to move at all. i was in 1st gear then i tried it in second, and nothing, and tried it in reverse, and nothing. some how i got it going, but when i got home and parked it to hose it off, it would not move again when i put it in gear, it will click into the gears, but it wont do anything, it is like it is in neutral in every gear. but there is resistance when you push it if it is in gear. so i changed th oil, and it smelt like burnt toast, i had read some were if it smells like bunt toast, you fried or burnt out your clutch. and there was little peices of cork in the oil also, and there was pieces on the filter also, but no metal shavings, so i am hoping it is not the gears. when i changed the oil, after i put the new oil in, when i put it in gear in 1st and reverse, you can feel it actully sift in to the gear, but when you let the clutch out, and rev it nothing hapeens. i ordered a new clutch pack,(springs, steel plates, and fiber plates), but i changed the clutch pack when i first got it 2 years ago. i dont slip the clutch, and i use it when i shift. so what do you think is wroung with it? do you think the new clutch pack will make it all good? sorry for making it long but i really need some help, so i can put it back together, and sell it.

drip
08-03-2003, 11:22 AM
How often do you change your oil? What type of oil do you use? What type of bike is it?

bigbadbrad
08-03-2003, 11:27 AM
it is a 97 300ex. i only changed the oil once since i took it out seeing that i only rode it a couple of times and then i had the rear brakes apart for a mounth and a half, that = no riding.
i changed the oil before i put it away for the winter. i think iused castrol 10w-40. it now has amsoil motorcycle 10w-40 in it

Holeshot36
08-03-2003, 11:27 AM
It don't sound like you clutch to me because it should roll some you just wouldnt have any power. First thing i would do is check the chain and sprokets (if you already haven't done so), even the shaft the front sproket is on then i would get a magnet and see if you pull up alot of metal shavings than if its none of them pull the side case off and check the clutch, if it is the clutch somehow you would be able to tell by looking at it.

bigbadbrad
08-03-2003, 11:30 AM
it is a new font sproket, and the rear one is fine. the sproket shaft rotates fine, and my cousin(who used to race dirt bikes and fix them) said it is proably in the clutch pak or around there. i hope it is not to costly because i want to sell it to get a jeep or a dirt bike

drip
08-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Have you taken the side of the case off yet to inspect the clutch?

nakomis0
08-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by drip
Have you taken the side of the case off yet to inspect the clutch?

What are you crazy?! That would take a whole 10 minutes. :huh :blah:

bigbadbrad
08-03-2003, 12:04 PM
noi have not, because i dont have a new gasket yet.