PDA

View Full Version : Bad noise(s), please help

01-21-2002, 11:51 PM
Okay, so I guess a 400ex is not the best choice as a tow truck, but we had few options at the time. I towed a busted dune buggy back to camp with my EX and now I've got nasty noises coming from my motor. I just pulled into town and have not yet torn into it and I'm afraid of what I'll find. For those of you who are Glamis-familiar, I towed this buggy from Oldsmobile Hill to Gecko-Roadrunner campground via Sand Highway and Competition Hill. This was quite a haul in the sand, over all the whoops, top of second gear most of the way. Now I hear what sounds like way-nasty valve tapping (though I just adjusted them 2 weeks ago), as well as a second tapping/banging noise coming from the right side of the motor maybe in the lower section.

Perhaps I've awarded myself the opportunity to do some tricky motor work through all this? Anyways, your suggestions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated. As it stands, I'm planning on starting on top, and measuring my way down until I find clear evidence of my stupidity.

Thanks!

knighttime
01-22-2002, 07:36 AM
I think you should go ahead and put in the 416 kit with an xr400 cam while you got it opened up. You probably did some semi-serious engine damage while towing.