PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Z400 motor work

nakomis0
08-03-2003, 03:53 AM
My buddies building the motor on his Z400 this is what he wants to do.

Stock bore w/ a 13:1 comp piston .... Is that a good compression? The piston will be from Weiso, any reason we should use Ross?

Hotcams ... anyone know a good grind to get for the cam? Would a Web cam be better. A grind # would be helpfull.

Stronger Valve springs.

We just do rec. riding but i know he wants the baddest sheet put in there. The larger the cam the better , maybe the one just under the largest.. oh crap i forgot he would need hardened rockers. Whats the biggest cam you can put in with stock rockers? let me know what ya think.

As far as porting, o/s valves.. thats not happening yet. A carb is down the road, but as far as internally this is where we want to stop unless there other suggestions we should do.. like a cam chain or something other little like that. And the hardened rockers are a possiblity.

TnXs.

worm
08-03-2003, 04:03 AM
id say stock bore 13:1 sounds good. id get a JE or Ross piston.. and he doesnt need hardened rockers... the Z400 doesnt have rocker arms... but when he get this new cam what ever he gets.. i have now idea which is better.. he has to shim under the caps the hold the cams in to get the clearances right ..its not like a single over head cam engine where you turn screws to adjust valves....

nakomis0
08-03-2003, 04:13 AM
Now im even more interest to see the inside of this motor. :)

So we can drop the largest cam in there and not worry about hardening anything? What do they use instead of rockers..

We dont have a manual yet but we will when we get the parts.

worm
08-03-2003, 04:27 AM
umm kind of like liftes in a car.. they are under the cam..the cam pushes them down..then the spring is between the valve and the lifter type thing.. youll have to see for your self to understand its simple...thats why the heads are soo tall on dual over head cam engines.. theres the vlave spring and lifter all stacked on top of each other inside.. compare the externals of a single over head engine to a dual..they look a lot different

08-03-2003, 03:56 PM
yeh i rode a z with that exact same set up it ripped. It had a yoshi exhaust on it though. I know he used a web cam i don't kno what grind though sorry. But It rips.