PDA

View Full Version : The Yfz Is Soo Wourth It

Brad
08-02-2003, 04:41 PM
i rode my friend rustys today and the thing bucked like a fraggen mule, 0-60 in 3 seconds....amazing, i couldnt not do a wheelie the thing was absouloutely nuts...what sux is the price, or i would have gotten one instead of my 400ex...BUT IM HAPPY

own2424
08-02-2003, 04:43 PM
0-60 in 3sec? that'll beat porsches! you feeling alright ?

08-02-2003, 04:45 PM
well its worth it if your buying a new quad, someone in my position can build something better for the same price or less,im anxious to take a ride on one of these yfzs

Nausty
08-02-2003, 04:49 PM
I rode one and I didn't think that much of it. I thought it was hard to wheelie which is a good thing at the gate. Also it had no low end what so ever and very little mid. But lots of top end, almost like a 2 stroke. Also the shocks suck compared to elka's, pep, tcs, ect. I don't think its really worth it to sell a 400ex, z400, ect to get one.

Brad
08-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by own2424
0-60 in 3sec? that'll beat porsches! you feeling alright ?

top speed is 68...does 15.2 in the quarter... u do the math

Brad
08-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
I rode one and I didn't think that much of it. I thought it was hard to wheelie which is a good thing at the gate. Also it had no low end what so ever and very little mid. But lots of top end, almost like a 2 stroke. Also the shocks suck compared to elka's, pep, tcs, ect. I don't think its really worth it to sell a 400ex, z400, ect to get one.

u really found it hard yto wheelie? i couldnt keep the wheels down...but i honestly love my 400ex and wouldnt sell it until i can get a used "new" honda quad...but only if it kicks ***;)

Striker49
08-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Nausty, there are very simple mods that several have been doing to bring the motor to life.
People have been removing the lid, dumping the stock pipe for a sparks, hmf, gytr and re-jetting. Everyone has claimed that it has helped alot. Also dropping a YZF cam in it and advancing the timing gear(?) helps considerably. Im not very mechanically inclined about much of the internals and such, but I get the basic idea.

Its just the CSPA rules and guidelines that hold alot of stock quads back, but they can easily be unleashed with simple mods. :)

Brad
08-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Striker49
Nausty, there are very simple mods that several have been doing to bring the motor to life.
People have been removing the lid, dumping the stock pipe for a sparks, hmf, gytr and re-jetting. Everyone has claimed that it has helped alot. Also dropping a YZF cam in it and advancing the timing gear(?) helps considerably. Im not very mechanically inclined about much of the internals and such, but I get the basic idea.

Its just the CSPA rules and guidelines that hold alot of stock quads back, but they can easily be unleashed with simple mods. :)

yeah this 1 had the stock pea shooter removed airbox lid and rejetted

own2424
08-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Brad
top speed is 68...does 15.2 in the quarter... u do the math Yea, I did the MATH. 0-60 in 3 seconds means that it takes the quad to go 60-68 in 12.2 second...must suck toward the top end, huh?

honda400exrider
08-02-2003, 05:05 PM
Im selling my ex and getting a brand new YZF for 6 grand and then having them put a pipe, maybe bigger filter, jet and removing airbox lid as soon as I get it:devil: My best friends dad is good friends with a dealer so he can get them for a little bit cheaper so possibly even cheaper than 6 if his dad and I get them at the same time:devil:

Brad
08-02-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by own2424
Yea, I did the MATH. 0-60 in 3 seconds means that it takes the quad to go 60-68 in 12.2 second...must suck toward the top end, huh?

uh...what math? there isnt any math there unless there are more factors to the equasion...like me being on the quad and me toping it out in appr 4 seconds

Nausty
08-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Striker49

yeah your right but still at 7400 bucks I don't i'd be able to afford to dump in another grand in the motor right away. I just don't think the new yfz is what its cracked up to be.:confused:

08-02-2003, 05:17 PM
im just gonna build a yz around my ex, if you do it right the frame is just as strong or stronger than the yfz and who doesnt love the 400ex handling , plus the yz motor offers alot more than the yfz performance wise

Striker49
08-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
yeah your right but still at 7400 bucks I don't i'd be able to afford to dump in another grand in the motor right away. I just don't think the new yfz is what its cracked up to be.:confused:

Yeah, but its the best "out-of-the-box" racer for those who dont have time to spend building their machine. Ive got a few tricks up my sleve over the next few months, so dont be surprised to see me sitting on a new quad. :devious:

JUSTINcredible
08-02-2003, 05:25 PM
i wanted to get a yfz this winter for next racing season but i can see its not gonna happen for me this year cuz i just cant afford it so im gonna get either a mx ready 400ex or a 250r for now till i can afford a yfz

hondafox440
08-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Theres no way it does 0-60 in 3 seconds. And it doesn't run a 15 in the quarter mile. Stop lying. I could belive 0-60 in 6 seconds and like a 22 second quarter though.

Pappy
08-02-2003, 05:27 PM
truthfully??? why buy any new quad:ermm:

if you do...you just gonna replace damn near everything on it anyway:p

ive built a few now from the ground up...and its the only way to fly unless you can buy a used quad thats got everything you want on it.

i looked over a walsh built crf today. its the quad of the #1 gnc vet class winner jeff thompson. im tellin ya its so easy to just build the thing i dont know if ill ever just go out and buy another new ride.

i know it takes money to think that way....but if your not needing the quad for all out racing...why not spend the next year building your dream quad from the ground up:confused: or maybe im wrong:ermm:

08-02-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
truthfully??? why buy any new quad:ermm:

if you do...you just gonna replace damn near everything on it anyway:p

ive built a few now from the ground up...and its the only way to fly unless you can buy a used quad thats got everything you want on it.

i looked over a walsh built crf today. its the quad of the #1 gnc vet class winner jeff thompson. im tellin ya its so easy to just build the thing i dont know if ill ever just go out and buy another new ride.

i know it takes money to think that way....but if your not needing the quad for all out racing...why not spend the next year building your dream quad from the ground up:confused: or maybe im wrong:ermm:

i agree totally 100% although isnt dave porter leading the vet class?

anyway ive gotten into race and no stock quad is competitive, i cannont afford to build a walsh crf but im gonna take a good 7 months maybe more and build a nice competitive oem framed yzf once its finished it will be good enough for me
and it should be very competitive and do what i need to do without any complaints

Pappy
08-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
isnt dave porter leading the vet class?

u could be correct...he was talking nationals when he said it ....but i know for certain he OWNS the district here:p

well, my only draw back to building a conversion quad would be the frame. i dont think the oem frames will take the abuse...but atleast it would buy you the time to maybe save for an aftermarket.

i spent quite a few minutes today going over the new yammy in the shop.......and i think ill stay away from it :scary: still cool that yammy did it and all...just not for me:)

Derno24
08-02-2003, 05:59 PM
I like the comments pappy...The yammy is a nice machine, but not all that due to high price tag and all you are really getting is the motor. Just my penny and a half.

Brad
08-03-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Derno24
I like the comments pappy...The yammy is a nice machine, but not all that due to high price tag and all you are really getting is the motor. Just my penny and a half.

the sell em for 6400otd round herre

honda400exrider
08-03-2003, 03:12 PM
On the website ZYFs are 6900:huh not 7400:confused:

markeg192
08-03-2003, 03:38 PM
The Yzf is fast but look at Yamahas history with Quads in particular the Banshee and the Raptor. They are both fast until you get on a Racetrack. I'm waiting to see on the new one.

toby400ex
08-03-2003, 09:46 PM
From my thinking right now i dont think i would ever buy a new or used quad. But build it piece by piece just for fun.:p

raptor_02
08-05-2003, 04:46 PM
i can't believe the reply's i am reading on your all's opinion on the YFZ. BY FAR THE BEST QUAD BUILT. We just have a bunch of rich guys on here who used to enjoy dominating this sport because they have more money than the average racer. Well guess what, times have changed. The YFZ is a quad that about anyone can buy and be very competitive on it. I don't need to read your BS commits on the power because something I always refer to which are race results. Kory Ellis kicked but on the YFZ with just a pipe, rejetted card and removed airbox lid. Of course he had the other mods for handleing but that's all he had done to make his quad more powerful and competed against fully modded Z400's and cannondales. Kory probaly had 11k in his quad vs 20k in the other quads. Kory is a pro racer too so the average racer like my self will probaly just need a pipe and stuff with some 18 inch tires and start tearing it up. This is the greatest thing that ever happened to our sport and some of you don't even realize it :(

Not to get off the topic or anything but my cous works at the local Honda shop in prestonsburg ( which is always in the top 5 in the NATION IN SALES:D ) and he called me and told me about a fax that the shop received. It talked about a trx 450 that is the replacement of the trx250R. So you heard it from this guy, you will see one at this years HONDA DEALER SHOW! Don't know if it will be a crf which would be stupid if its not, but it will be something to compete with the YFZ.

08-05-2003, 04:51 PM
i rode the yfz i would buy it but i wasnt as impressed as i thought after reading korry ellis report, its fast and handles nice, prob the nicest yami to date, if i didnt have a quad and i was buying id own one but im either working mine more, buying something else or building something:confused2

jollyrj
08-06-2003, 03:56 AM
A few weeks ago.

Hubie's very happy w/ it - VERY!! :D He tells me everyday!

08-06-2003, 04:50 AM
my buddy picked his up for 63-6400 after tax, there not selling too well here

Brad
08-06-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by freeride132
my buddy picked his up for 63-6400 after tax, there not selling too well here

same here, 6400otd

KrazyKid300ex
08-06-2003, 04:59 AM
they are not selling well? whaaaaat? i had called around to about 20 dealers to see if they had any. all they said was that they were held because they put a down payment on it when the dealer didn't even have it yet or already sold.

Derno24
08-06-2003, 05:06 AM
How could they not sell well when they haven't been out that long to have a sales history?:confused:

EXracer8604
08-06-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Brad
top speed is 68...does 15.2 in the quarter... u do the math

how do you know it goes 68???

Derno24
08-06-2003, 05:18 AM
Not to mantion 15.2 in the quarter for a quad only doing 68 is very improbable.

veddersbetter
08-07-2003, 10:54 PM
I believe I read that somewhere...perhaps dirtwheels...said it does 15.2 or 15.5 in the quarter...very doable!....if it gets to top end quick enough it can ride the rev limiter to the end of the quarter....a typical car that runs 15s runs about 80-85 mph in the 1340 .....those cars being alot slower to 68-70 mph than the YFZ most likely.
Your typical 11 second bike runs around 125-130 in the quarter too!:blah: ...just in case you were wonderin:D

Brad
08-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by EXracer8604
how do you know it goes 68???

thats all its gearing allows, and radar detectors those werk too..

Derno24
08-08-2003, 02:33 AM
My point is regardless how fast you get to 68 it doesn't matter. It is still 68. I have run 15.9 on my Dale at 76 mph. I switched a front sprocket and now it is 15 but at almost 85mph. Comparing a quad to a car is concievable, but to a street bike forget it. A street bike is capable of leaving the gate in the first 60' at 1.5 a quad is about 1.9 without work. Not to mention the top speed is a huge factor like you said 125mph is a good average is way higher than 68mph. No argument here just figuring the top speed is higher. Also, I have dirt wheels and have read the article I don't remember anything about a drag run. I would like to read that too. I am just curious.

Flyin#3-1/2
08-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Theres no way it does 0-60 in 3 seconds. And it doesn't run a 15 in the quarter mile. Stop lying. I could belive 0-60 in 6 seconds and like a 22 second quarter though.

i thought banshees did like 13 something or 14 something in the quarter mile?? so shouldn't the yfz450 be able to do at least that if not more?:confused: or am i not thinking right, someone with some knowledge of this help me out, and not some idiot that hates yamaha who's going to lie.....

i have a yamaha banshee and i would believe that it does 0-60 in like 3 seconds, it sure does feel like it....

Derno24
08-09-2003, 12:41 PM
0-60 on 3 sec is tough. If you have alot of work done to your machine yes it is possible, but stock for stock machines no it isn't possible. If you get a chance take your machine to a drag strip and then you will get times for everything. This way you can answer your own question. I am not machine biased I have had a chance to see all these machines at the strip except the new yzf. I have had the opourtunity to run with a guy who owns one he said it is fast, but not lightning in a bottle like stated earlier. Stock Banshee's with no work do the quarter in 16's like every other machine. I have seen worked banshee's pull 11's in the quarter mile. They are worked machines though and that is all they are capable of doing is drag racing.

Flyin#3-1/2
08-10-2003, 08:20 AM
i'll have to find a drag strip someplace around here and see what my banshee comes out to.

who cares if banshees are only good for dragging and dunes....they are still fun for trail riding if you know how to ride them. plus i loooove to drag cars. i'll be in a corn field next to a road and drag cars as they go by. i waste every one of them, and some of those people are doing 80:eek2: my friends dad had me clocked at 75mph on my banshee when it just had a uni filter and white brothers boost bottle:eek2: and that was in snow/mud mixture with bald stock tires:eek2: :eek2: