PDA

View Full Version : 250R Guys help with freak problem!!

RUNMYTA
08-02-2003, 03:15 PM
OK just recently I replaced my "stock" cylinder with a LRD 300 kit. Only jetting change was going up 1 size on the main (ESR said that jetting should not change at most 1 size on the main:eek2: ) After about 2-3 hours total on the bike mostly play riding in my yard my R started popping and missing in the upper RPMs like it was going lean. So I went and bought a 1 size larger main (went from 380 to 390) on a 36mm Mikuni TMX. It helped just a tad but still had a high RPM miss to it!! So after several attempts of adjusting the air screw and taking the carb off and cleaning it nothing helped. So I decided to check all the electrical connections and when I pulled off the stator cover about 2 to 3oz of water/fuel/oil mix ran out!!:eek: I know this isn't good and have an idea, but I want a second opinion!

Here are my engine mods:
Lrd 300 ported for XC
36mm Mikuni TMX carb jetted at 390main
air box lid off with foam filter and pre filter
Boysen rad valve with spacer
ESR TR6 pipe/silencer ( lowend pipe)

TIA for the help MIKE:bandit:

deathman53
08-02-2003, 05:11 PM
crank bearings or seals bad and leaky gasket on stator cover?

TRX_Thumper
08-02-2003, 05:53 PM
yeap crank seals are shot

RUNMYTA
08-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Death - TRX_Thumper

That is what I was thinking. I just wanted to hope that it was something else! So how hard are crank seals to put in? Thanks,MIKE

NTPracing22
08-03-2003, 01:19 AM
id lay my money on the crank bearings.

man those aren't easy to put in...well they are, just time consuming. cuz you have to take the engine out, take off the topend, split the cases....good luck man

RUNMYTA
08-03-2003, 05:48 AM
What really sux is that I just replaced the crank bearings and seals less than 6 months ago (when I busted my left case) with factory honda bearings and seals! Does this sound like normal wear for factory crank bearings and seals?

What bearings and seals should I go back with??:(

Bean
08-03-2003, 10:02 AM
i have a small tip concerning the stator cover. the wire loom that runs into the case on that side leaks water into it, if you notice your 250r running like a champ, then it starts sputterin, you may have gotten water into the stator area. so drill a hole for a greasezerk, and pop the ball and spring out, loctite it in, and wola, you have a drain that water can not get splashed into because the frame rail is right below it

08-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Bean
i have a small tip concerning the stator cover. the wire loom that runs into the case on that side leaks water into it, if you notice your 250r running like a champ, then it starts sputterin, you may have gotten water into the stator area. so drill a hole for a greasezerk, and pop the ball and spring out, loctite it in, and wola, you have a drain that water can not get splashed into because the frame rail is right below it
this isnt a bad idea ...but howabout just sealing the stator cover ?:confused:
& I agree sounds like crank seals are gone....
but it also sounds like it is running kinda lean ,also

deathman53
08-03-2003, 02:24 PM
speaking of probelms with 250r's, I was gonna redo my topend last night and find that rod is shot, crank bearings shot, cluth basket grooves, pressure plate broke. both of us will be rebilding our motors. Crank bearings and seals shold last alot longer that 6 months, there is a problem somewhere else.

08-03-2003, 02:37 PM
yes they should last longer ..cases could be bad too

NTPracing22
08-03-2003, 03:34 PM
it is possable the bearing wasn't set in right. that will cause them to live about 1/8 thier normal lifetime. but you said you had the case from honda...so that probley illiminates that.

we could sit typing on this keyboard forever, the only way to really know is to crack her open;)

best of luck to ya