PDA

View Full Version : What is your travel height mx'ers?

Ty's400
08-02-2003, 03:11 PM
HI I was wondering how much height you guys were getting out of your shocks? I called Elka the other day to see what they could tell me on how best to set my shocks up...(they are extremely friendly and willing to help!). I have Elka SSD Triple Rate Comp. Adjutable front shocks on Houser +2 A-arms. My rear shock and swinger are stock so I know because of that I'm not going to get it setup right. Elka told me the best setup is to have 9inches with the quad sitting at rest and 8 1/2in. when on it. I don't know if you only get that with Long Travel though or not. Because I don't even have 8 1/2in. in the front just sitting. I have about 8in. in the front at rest and then 8 1/2 to 9in. in the rear, but that is because I don't have my shock revalved which I know I need to do. The said it is best to have a level amount of travel front and rear with a slight bit more travel up front. Let me know what I should do and what you guys have. thanks

Dave400ex
08-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Ty make sure they know you were talking about standard length shocks and not LT. Also bring that thing over I'll help ya get it figured out.

08-03-2003, 02:46 AM
Mine looks like it's sittin on the ground. I can say that...:eek2:

Ty's400
08-04-2003, 05:42 AM
Ya I think I mentioned somewhere that it was for standard not long travel...hopefully:confused2. I was just wondering how many inches you guys have. I agree Rico it does almost look like they are sitting on the ground...haha Dave let me know and I will come over

Dave400ex
08-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Ty you can bring it over tomorrow morning or afternoon I shouldn't be doing anything. I think I know what needs to be done.

Ty's400
08-05-2003, 07:21 AM
Come on guys just measure and see how much travel you are getting with standard not lt a-arms. thanks

Pappy
08-05-2003, 07:25 AM
with 19 inch fronts and 18 inch rears im getting a measurement of 9 1/2 front and rear and 8 when im on the quad. looowwww rider:eek2:

08-05-2003, 07:32 AM
with my MX setup(19" fronts and 18" rears) i measured at my frame right in front of the fot peg mount..i got 8 1/2 free sag and when im sitting on it i get 7 1/2 clearance:eek2:

Ty's400
08-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Pappy how are you getting that much travel out of your shocks? They aren't long travel are they? nacsracer27 I'm getting about the same amount of inches like you stated. I just really need to get my rear shock rebuilt so that it sits level.

muff
08-06-2003, 04:47 PM
if the shocks are zps or not are what make the difference....like I have more travel than what i could measure because it is used up in sag

i'll measure mine tomorrow and see what i'll get...prolly not to much cause I know I have 3" of sag in the rear :eek:

Ty's400
08-07-2003, 07:34 AM
Ya my fronts are ssd. Self Sagging Device, so I know that that takes away some of the travel atleast at rest. My rear shock is still stock, and I know after looking at my buddy Dave400ex's rear shock he had rebuilt that I need to do that to have it level. Thanks

boogiechile
08-07-2003, 09:01 AM
it sounds like someone on this thread is confused, or maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean. But the ride height that you guys are measuring has nothing to do with how much travel you have. For example if you have ten inches of wheel travel you can set the ride height at 7 inches or 9 inches or whatever and you still have ten inches of travel. All you do is set how much of the shock travel is used in sag. The wheels will still drop the same and bottom at the same point so wheel travel is not affected. all SSD or Zero preload does is allow the ride height to drop to a decent height like 7 1/2 to 8 inches or so for MX. True zero preload on the regular springs will seldom allow the quad to drop low enough, especially with extended a arms, so a softer spring (SSD, ZP) is added to lower the quad more.

muff
08-07-2003, 02:03 PM
thats what i was thinkin boogie when i talked for a sec. about sag

Ty's400
08-07-2003, 04:24 PM
I understand that. I'm just wondering how high your quad sits of the ground at rest and also when you are on it. I talked to the Elka tech department and they told me to measure to see how many inches of clearance I have and work from there.