PDA

View Full Version : Shock adjustment.....soft/firm

Jeff
01-21-2002, 08:15 PM
I was thinking about going to a MX track sometime soon and do a little bit of jumping. See, my 400ex's shocks are still set to factory setting, medium I would imagine. I was wondering if I would need to firm them up a little bit since im going to be jumping some? Now im not talking about real big jumps, maby like 4-5' of air, give or take a little. I have never been to a MX track and this is my first time, so I dont know these things. I dont want to break a axle or anything. If I do need to stiffin them up, about how much?? I have never tinkered with them any.

This may be a stupid question, I dont know, so just bare with me...

Ps. Whats the best kind of jump to start out on? Somebody told me a tabletop, but I dunno.....?

01-22-2002, 07:21 AM
I'd leave the fronts' alone and maybe soften up the rear compression so your not acting like a bull rider and getting broncon'd off,,,Your not gonna brake an axle don't worry about that,,Unless your hitting massive jumps in 4th or 5th gear.
Tabletops are the best to start off on,,and remember,,NEVER EVER LET OFF THE GAS ON THE FACE OF A JUMP. Or you'll land on your head,,,hold the gas steady or blip the throttle,,you'll catch on after a few practice jumps,,,OH and wear a friggin helmet and any other safety gear you can get your hands on..:D

MOOCAZEN
01-22-2002, 07:49 AM
I HAVE THE STOCK REAR STILL AND IM GOING TO SEND IT AWAY BUT MEANWHILE, IS THERE ANYWAY TO MAKE IT SOFTER FOR JUMPING, HOW THE H@LL DO YOU ADJUST IT, IF YOU CAN THAT IS?

01-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Well the easiest way to adjust the compression is with the dial under the seat next to the carb on the shock rezzy,,You'll see a little S <--> H imprinted on the rezzy itself,,turn it to the left to set the compression to soft,I normally turn mine to full soft then back about a 1/4 of a turn. And if your really feelin froggy you can adjust the preload on it also which I take the entire rear shock off and put it in a vize and turn the preload adjuster,,which is the threaded adjustment above the spring,,you'll need a large wrench to do this,,but the compression should do the job for ya.:D

MOOCAZEN
01-22-2002, 09:57 AM
TANX ALOT VICO CHUAVE

MOOCAZEN
01-22-2002, 09:59 AM
FOR THE THREADED PART ON THE SHOCK, DO I SCREW IT TO THE TOP OR DOWN ONTO THE SPRING, AND WHAT DOES IT DO, IM NOT TO FAMILIAR WITH SHOCK SETTING AND SUCH

01-22-2002, 10:12 AM
No problamo dude,,,,,You'll screw it up to make the ride softer and down to make the rider stiffer,,,your basically making the spring coils tighter or looser. Don't go overboard on it either,,maybe make 2 or 3 complete turns and see how she rides and so on..2 or 3 turns on the preload and adjusting the compression like I mentioned befoe should really make a smoother ride..

HOw much do you wiegh??????

MOOCAZEN
01-22-2002, 10:19 AM

01-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Well if ya plan on gettin the rear shock rebuilt get a different spring for your wieght,,,you've done maxed out the stocker spring rating,,I think it's rated at like 160 -165..

Stunz
01-22-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Well....
I take the entire rear shock off and put it in a vize and turn the preload adjuster,,which is the threaded adjustment above the spring,,you'll need a large wrench to do this.:D

You don't have to take the shock off to to this.
Just lossen the top jam nut first, than adjust the bottom one to your new setting. Snug up the jam nut when done. A medium size "channel-lock" works pretty good.
If it's hard to get at, you can take the airbox off.