PDA

View Full Version : sprocket question

badass300ex
08-02-2003, 11:44 AM
I have a 03 300ex with full exaust, K&N, and jetted. I want to change the front sprocket. What sprocket to get or does it matter? and how many teeth? And also how much low end will I lose and is it really noticeable. Thanks :D :) :) :) :) :) :)

cals400ex
08-02-2003, 12:28 PM
well it depends on what you want out of your bike. i am not sure the size of the stock sprocket on the 300ex. if you don't know, look at your front sprocket and count. i think it is 14 but i don't know. the 400ex has a 15 tooth sprocket from factory. a bigger front sprocket will give a little more top speed and a smaller front sprocket will give a little more low end. i personally would never get a smaller sprocket if it was me. the only place i would see smaller being benefical is if you never ride in the higher gears in the first place and if you want all of the power down low. my friend got one on his 400ex and it came off the same day he put it on. you will loose a lot of top speed. i am running a bigger front sprocket(more top speed) and i love it. you will not loose any low end power in a drag race. when coming out of a corner on a track or in tight woods, you will notice you won't have quite as much response with a bigger front sprocket though.

badass300ex
08-02-2003, 04:39 PM
I do mostley trail riding but once in a wile I like to get on it.Is it a noticeable difference in top end gain?Is it still easy to get the frony end up if I change it?

cals400ex
08-03-2003, 06:45 AM
you will probally lose more lowend with a smaller sprocket than you will gain top end with a bigger sprocket. the front is not quite as easy to get up with the rpm's low. if you want a good combination of both, a stock size sprocket would suit you good.