PDA

View Full Version : Are Whellies bad?!?!?

EXrider03
08-02-2003, 10:21 AM
I love ridin whellies, but I dont want to do them if they are bad on my 400ex...When I shift on a whellie I dont use the clutch. Im thinking this is bad on somthing. So are they bad?

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-02-2003, 10:27 AM
no, lmao. BUT, not using the clutch is bad....learn to use it like everyone else.

EXrider03
08-02-2003, 10:44 AM
lmao I use know how to use the clutch, but not on a whellie...is there anyone in here that uses the clutch while on a whellie?????

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by EXrider03
lmao I use know how to use the clutch, but not on a whellie...is there anyone in here that uses the clutch while on a whellie?????

um just about everyone...me included.

Chanman420q
08-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
um just about everyone...me included.

when i pull the clutch in on a wheelie it just drops.... no matter how far back i am without dragging the wheelie bar

Juggalo
08-02-2003, 12:01 PM
i don't use the clutch when i am shifting in a wheelie...

DantheEXman
08-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Niether do I

mx400
08-02-2003, 12:11 PM
u have to be like greased lightning when shifting and compensate on the throttle. u gota be quick otherwise ur gona loose it

atvman6988
08-02-2003, 12:18 PM
my friend uses the clutch like more than 2 times when wheeling and he doesnt drop it u have to blip the throttle to make it go back beyond the ballance point and after u shift tap the break to llevel out im pretty sure that clutless shifting is not too good for the bike if it was ok then y did honda put a clutch lever on it from the factory??

Ryan
08-02-2003, 12:32 PM
I use my clutch when im riding wheelies. I don't see what is so hard about using the clutch while doing a wheelie? You just have to do it really fast.

farmr's400EX
08-02-2003, 02:13 PM
on a bonestock 400ex, I would love to see you guys work the clutch in a wheelie. I never could. Now that last week I started doing some mod's to it, no prob.

2003 400EX
Cobra Jet pipe
k&n filter
160 main jet
advanced timing 6degrees
16 tooth front sprocket

sad thing now is that a stock 2003 Ex beats me even on the top

sweet300ex
08-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by farmr's400EX

2003 400EX
Cobra Jet pipe
k&n filter
160 main jet
advanced timing 6degrees
16 tooth front sprocket

the jetting must be wrong, and cobra takes away performance
;)

farmr's400EX
08-02-2003, 02:19 PM
I was wondering if it was the Cobra doing it. Here in Wisconsin thats all everyone wants. When I researched it I never saw A Cobra in anybodies tests. I did all these mod's at once. Any suggestions on the pipe I should switch to. I already have 2 ppl around here that'll buy the cobra from me.

ZSK
08-02-2003, 02:24 PM
I use the clutch on my 300 and don't drop the front end. I took the air box lid off because it was running rich, now it's perfect, and a lot more power too. Shifting from 1st to 2nd I dump the clutch, same 2nd to 3rd and the front end never falls.

mx400
08-02-2003, 02:28 PM
I was wondering if it was the Cobra doing it. Here in Wisconsin thats all everyone wants. When I researched it I never saw A Cobra in anybodies tests. I did all these mod's at once. Any suggestions on the pipe I should switch to. I already have 2 ppl around here that'll buy the cobra from me.

go either sparks x-6, wb r-4, yoshi full system. probably best out their. sparks definately would be worth it if u want a great exhaust that performs unbelievably well

toby400ex
08-02-2003, 02:36 PM
wheelies are really bad on your headlights, remeber that

EXrider03
08-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Looks like you were wrong Rippinitup...Almost half of the folks who posted said they cannot clutch on a whellie. My 400ex IS stock. Ive been practicing today, and Im getting better at it.

EXRACR
08-02-2003, 03:29 PM
how the hell can you wheelie in the first place... i cant for ****.... i guess its cuz i was on a banshee... but if im getting my 400 soon, will it be a lot easier than my old banshee???

farmr's400EX
08-02-2003, 03:37 PM
the 400 is the best machine out there if your into doin the wheelie thing...great center of gravity

EXRACR
08-02-2003, 03:43 PM
sweet, i guess ill have lotsa fun then!:D

08-02-2003, 05:01 PM
wtf....my cobra megaphone doesnt take away performance but it doesnt give it alot.....IT IS OKAY to not use the clutch every once in awhile like on wheelies or drg racing but only for upshifting....I wouldnt ever not use it to downshift. :eek2:

sparks400
08-02-2003, 05:43 PM
i dont use the clutch on a wheelie either does anyone else i kno, from dumping the clutch from a complete stop thats bad as everyone knows, but from a rolling start not bad because while ur riding normal and u shift with the clutch ur dumping it just not from a complete stop which gives the pressure plates really stressed and sae with the basket, all the clutch does is hold the rpm from droping, all u have to do is let go of the throttle and its like using the clutch, the guy that did my motor said u dont have to use the clutch as much as everyone thinks u have to, and to answer ur question its not good, and its not bad, its what these motors were made to do, made to be ran the ***** out of, and made to kept maintained correctly. now if i am saying anything worng correct me, trail and error.

Adam202
08-02-2003, 05:59 PM
on a bonestock 400ex, I would love to see you guys work the clutch in a wheelie. I never could. Now that last week I started doing some mod's to it, no prob.

2003 400EX
Cobra Jet pipe
k&n filter
160 main jet
advanced timing 6degrees
16 tooth front sprocket

hah on my bone stock 400ex i can ride wheelies 1st through 5th, i could pull the clutch 1000 times while on a wheelie and keep it up, its all balance, its easy to hold on and grab the clutch, its easy to hit the brake, its easy to ride wheelies ;) , i can grab the clutch standing up while wheeling. just got back from the silver lake sand dunes, had a blast!

Adam202
08-02-2003, 05:59 PM
BTW ill get a video ASAP!.

sparks400
08-02-2003, 06:03 PM
does anyone go sideways while getting it up?

user101
08-02-2003, 06:17 PM
it is not bad for the engine to not use the clutch and shift gears while in a wheelie. technically u dont need a clutch any of the time while except when sarting and braking...as long as u get the rpm's to the certain spot for shifting.

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-03-2003, 02:22 AM
Looks like you were wrong Rippinitup...Almost half of the folks who posted said they cannot clutch on a whellie. My 400ex IS stock. Ive been practicing today, and Im getting better at it.

believe what you want...theres a clutch on a quad for a reason....i dont care what anyone says, i will always believe its bad to NOT use it. when i do wheelies i use the clutch....if you cant it looks like u need practice :macho

R-Crazy
08-03-2003, 03:08 AM
its not gonna hurt to use the clutch, and the better you get using clutch, the better you will be at starts and all around riding. it cant hurt

dave

dannyboy20
08-03-2003, 03:29 AM
I agree with Adam on the wheelies. I have a 400 and can wheelie 1-5 using the clutch no problem. You just have to find that spot were your quad balances perfect and you can wheelie for ever.

suck my pipe
08-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Sometimes i use the cluth and sometimes i don't. You just gotta lern to be quicker with gettin the clutch out and gettin back on the gas.

cals400ex
08-03-2003, 10:38 AM
i always use the clutch when doing a wheelie. i don't see how it is easier to not use the clutch than to use the clutch when shifting through the gears??? maybe its because i always have used it. on a stock bike, its just as easy to shift through the gears on a wheelie using the clutch as it is on a bike with a pipe, jetting, filter etc.

Adam202
08-03-2003, 12:13 PM
i like using the clutch too becuase if the front end drops to much when you pull in the clutch you can rev it up and pop the clutch on a wheelie to get the front end back up.

nismo
08-03-2003, 12:26 PM
always use the clutch its there for a reason and its easier to wheelie with the clutch

MotoLappa
08-03-2003, 03:19 PM
I don't use my clutch when I do wheelies on this thing. http://www.psychogang.com/gallery/album67 I hope you don't mind I post this here. I love doing wheelies. I would wheelie a golf cart if I had one. LOL. I don't clutch while I am wheeling a dirt bike or quad either.

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-03-2003, 03:35 PM
alot of you guys scare me with your shifting techniques :eek: :confused2 :ermm:

Adam202
08-03-2003, 03:48 PM
i kno im shocked, do any of you ever have tranny probs? :rolleyes:

TRX_Thumper
08-03-2003, 04:06 PM
the only time my clutch gets used is taking off and downshifting...the rest is powershifting...put a little pressure on the shifter then barely let off the gas and itll go in gear everytime....

Todd
08-03-2003, 04:30 PM
You need a clutch for starting stopping and downshifting. Clutchless upshifts are ok provided you back off the gas to unload your tranny. Same principal as my mre airshifter on my dragbike , pin the throttle and smash the button, the button trips the kill selonoid which kills the coils for a split sec. ( unloading th tranny)while the ram upshifts , no clutching.
So i think its fine as long as you back off the gas, the only time i use clutchless upshifts is dragracing and wheelies, but i can do both with a clutch also.
Todd

Adam202
08-03-2003, 04:39 PM
but why when you can use the clutch to get the rpms up before the next gear, you can pop the clutch everytime you shift gears that way you dont have to let off the throttle as much or at all when racing, its another form of powershifting and im not talking about the dragbike. yea itll wear out yoru clutch faster im sure but better clutch than tranny :) .

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Sorry to do this but some of you guys out there are just wrong no nicer way to say it.

I Know this thread is supposed to be about wheelies, but these things always end up being about proper clutch usage.

You can say Honda put a clutch there for a reason all day then say it again a few more times then walk ouside and yell it to the world -- go tell it on the mountain.

So What??

OK yeah you need a clutch thats a fact no doubt and oh yes it is there for a reason. So is the emergency brake, so is the choke, so is the airbox lid. Honda put that stuff on the bike for a reason too.

Once again I ask SO WHAT?

But it really doesnt help much to keep on saying things that should be obvious to everybody (hint).

Have you guys been reading all of the posts about people messing up their clutches & trannys because of not clutching in the proper way or because they downshifted hard w/o the clutch (mercy me) how reckless.

Oh wait, I havent seen any posts like that either hmmmm wonder why that is? I guess all the guys who say they arent using their clutch in strict compliance with their owners manuals are too embarrased to post after they broke their bike.

Now dont quote me on this but I think aaaaaaah NOT! because guess what - they know how to ride a bike with a clutch.

You don't HAVE to use the clutch when shifting up down or in any other direction once you LEARN where the shift points sync up.

Alright I didnt want to start a rant, Im just tired of everybody posting that the way they ride is the best way and everybody who dosent do everything just right (their way) is wrong.

Im certanly not saying that you should never use the clutch.
And Im not saying that you should abuse your bike by not using the clutch when the time comes to use it.

All Im saying is that everybody here rides different. Some like to use the low end power and fly through the gears as fast as they can. Others like to wind out the gears and run high rpms.

But just hear me out all you "proper" clutch jockeys out there.

Just try it sometime its real easy, all you have to do is just work the shifter by itself once in awhile, you will hear a nice little snick as the gears magically mesh together and you can give those bulging left forearm muscles a well deserved rest.

:bandit:

bmw500hp
08-04-2003, 02:46 PM
I love ridin whellies, but I dont want to do them if they are bad on my 400ex...When I shift on a whellie I dont use the clutch. Im thinking this is bad on somthing. So are they bad?

dude, if wheelies are how you get off, then ride em man! Ride em through the gears all freakin day!

Ride em anyway you like!..your machine exists to make ya happy. If the only time your not using the clutch is when the fronts up...you will be o.k. :cool:

Adam202
08-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ewalker302
Sorry to do this but some of you guys out there are just wrong no nicer way to say it.

I Know this thread is supposed to be about wheelies, but these things always end up being about proper clutch usage.

You can say Honda put a clutch there for a reason all day then say it again a few more times then walk ouside and yell it to the world -- go tell it on the mountain.

So What??

OK yeah you need a clutch thats a fact no doubt and oh yes it is there for a reason. So is the emergency brake, so is the choke, so is the airbox lid. Honda put that stuff on the bike for a reason too.

Once again I ask SO WHAT?

But it really doesnt help much to keep on saying things that should be obvious to everybody (hint).

Have you guys been reading all of the posts about people messing up their clutches & trannys because of not clutching in the proper way or because they downshifted hard w/o the clutch (mercy me) how reckless.

Oh wait, I havent seen any posts like that either hmmmm wonder why that is? I guess all the guys who say they arent using their clutch in strict compliance with their owners manuals are too embarrased to post after they broke their bike.

Now dont quote me on this but I think aaaaaaah NOT! because guess what - they know how to ride a bike with a clutch.

You don't HAVE to use the clutch when shifting up down or in any other direction once you LEARN where the shift points sync up.

Alright I didnt want to start a rant, Im just tired of everybody posting that the way they ride is the best way and everybody who dosent do everything just right (their way) is wrong.

Im certanly not saying that you should never use the clutch.
And Im not saying that you should abuse your bike by not using the clutch when the time comes to use it.

All Im saying is that everybody here rides different. Some like to use the low end power and fly through the gears as fast as they can. Others like to wind out the gears and run high rpms.

Just try it sometime its real easy, all you have to do is just work the shifter by itself once in awhile, you will hear a nice little snick as the gears magically mesh together and you can give those bulging left forearm muscles a well deserved rest.

good point, but ill stick to clutchin it. :D

08-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ewalker302

:bandit: umm...my left fore arm muscles are never tired...if you maintain your cutch cable..and keep it clean..you should be able to pull your clutch in with your pinky...but go a head..keep struggling

sparky450AR
08-04-2003, 05:02 PM
its not hard on your tranni while shifting up...but i dont reccomend stomping down on those gears

cals400ex
08-04-2003, 06:50 PM
what can i use to clean the clutch cable? i have the sparks clutch installed and it sure wears me out after a little while.

ewalker302
08-04-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
umm...my left fore arm muscles are never tired...if you maintain your cutch cable..and keep it clean..you should be able to pull your clutch in with your pinky...but go a head..keep struggling

ummmm....The last line there was not really meant to be taken literally, but aaah..... ill try to keep it more simple I guess. Sorta hmmmmm....a little jab/humor, sorry if you didnt get it.

Thanks for the lube tips i guess? :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure if I understand your point.
I never said I was struggling...but go a head..keep pinky clutching
or whatever?

JOEX
08-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Anyone else get the willies when doing wheelies?:D :blah:

Joe

collegekid491
04-25-2007, 01:04 PM
ok, most pointless convo, but i saw it and thought i would post an opinion, cause thats all this is.

different riders use different styles, i like to use the clutch but when doing a wheelie i don't, probably could with some practice but why mess with something that works for me?

as for damage, ive been working on motors since i was 5 years old, my dad was a mechanic and liked to include me in everything he did in hopes i would become one as well, didn't quite happen, but anyways! clutchless shifting can hurt the engine, only if done wrong, i heard one guy here say let off the throttle and the gears mesh together, 100% right, it only recks the tranny usually with excessive rpms. but for all those clutch advocates, it doesn't exempt u from wreaking your clutch. in fact, in most shops ive worked in there are more cars and atv's in there for people popping the clutch millions of times or having the clutch half in and open on the throttle so they don't stall or for going through places slowly. but hey, these machines are built to take some abuse, a few bad clutch pops and clutchless shifts arn't gonna cripple ur machine, if you do it constantely it may become a problem and you may have to modify your riding technique.

all in all, pointless argument, clutchless doesn't wreak your machine unless you are opening the throttle when u do it or shifting down at much 2 high rpms.

as for the guy who said, "honda gave you a throttle for a reason", lol, i laugh, many vehicles with clutches were built with the intent that the clutch was only needed to start going. Ever driven a semi? it has a clutch, but when shifting through the experienced drivers never use the clutch, cause at the right rpms it fits in just fine. works on small cars to, but not recommended, most small car trannys arn't strong enough to put up with the few bad ones you will do while trying to learn to do it properly

4TraxRider
04-25-2007, 03:47 PM
You do know this thread is 4 years old right?

collegekid491
04-25-2007, 04:06 PM
yes i know, but there is no information difference from then and now, so figured it was time to bring up the clutch subject again cause almost every post turns into it, doesn't matter which one i add to

MX MaNiAc 06
04-26-2007, 08:55 AM
I heard that wheelies are bad for ur engine because the oil isnt getting everywhere that it needs to be. It may just be like that for street bikes though? Thats what the guy was talking about.

DF400ex
04-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
wtf....my cobra megaphone doesnt take away performance but it doesnt give it alot.....IT IS OKAY to not use the clutch every once in awhile like on wheelies or drg racing but only for upshifting....I wouldnt ever not use it to downshift. :eek2:

I do not always use my clutch either. I don't down shift with out my clutch but when you are racing someone or doing wheelies it helps to skip it.

I do not jam it into the next gear, just apply pressure on the shifter and let off the gas. When the tranny can, it'll shift. I've been told by shop owners that this is not bad and have not found any metal shards in my oil or tranny.

Glenyzracer25
04-26-2007, 09:58 PM
i have a bone stock 400ex that i can ride a wheelie for days on with the clutch. 400ex's are the easiest machines out to balance a wheelie on, all you have to do is find the balance point and shifting is effortless with the clutch.

Old Head
04-27-2007, 02:33 PM

I always shift with the clutch while wheeling:D

TXATVRIDER
04-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, not to much longer you'll be posting how do i work on my clutch if you don't stop doin that. Using the clutch is easy...lol

pats2007450er
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
both ways are easy.just dont hesitate

ohsobad_chevy
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Wheelies are fun, especially in sand:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/ohsobad_chevy/DSC00125.jpg

660r2a400ex
01-16-2008, 07:41 AM
400ex's have a little thingy in the clutch the, the pin clutch lever or something, it breaks often with a lot of clutch use during slo mo wheelies, thats the only thing i ever messed up wheeling, but try and use the clutch, you'll take ur wheelies to the next level, bar hop wheelies, no handers, slo mos, super mans, etc.

fmftrx300ex
01-19-2008, 01:59 PM

2003 400EX
Cobra Jet pipe
k&n filter
160 main jet
advanced timing 6degrees
16 tooth front sprocket

Umm cobra pipes suck so bad i have on sitin in my gagrage for 100 buck if any one wants it i got an FMF pipe now

Dr89
03-07-2008, 11:09 AM
im not sure what the deal is with people not using the clutch in wheelies but i wouldnt advise that at all??? would you shift without the clutch during your normal riding? its there for a reason....use it! (i know some people DO shift without using there clutch and think they "do it right" im just saying, why risk it??)

just take your time and practice using the clutch, dont fall into a bad habit of shifting in your wheelies without it...just learn the right and take your time.

give me five minutes on any quad and i'll start from a dead stop and wheelie all the way through 5th/6th, up hills, down hills, slow, fast, whatever. just takes practice!! ;)

03-07-2008, 03:42 PM
careful shifting with the clutch on a wheelie though cause you can flip right back. To keep it up you hve to shift quick and you can end up flipping back if you give it gas.

CSR400EX
03-09-2008, 01:20 AM
i really never shifted at all when i rode wheelies on my ol 440. just stood up in 4th, lean back, and grab some throttle and up she came lol. i could ride some pretty long wheelies on it and never really change RPM's in the motor. ITS ALL ABOUT BALANCE:D