PDA

View Full Version : Solution to 400EX grab bar?

T.Hopp
08-02-2003, 04:54 AM
Was wondering what others have done to allow for a removable grab bar? I bought a used 400 and am planning to gusset the frame and get it PC'ed. As I stands now, there is only a partial grab bar that the previous owner created while practicing his wheelies. What after market grab bar would best fit the sub frame of the 400EX? I would buy or borrow one to design a bolt up mounting system.

Juggalo
08-02-2003, 05:05 AM
companies make grab bars for the 400. i don't remember many of the companies but i know PRM does for sure. check out their website.

T.Hopp
08-02-2003, 11:09 AM
If you notice, all of the after market grab bars available attatch to the stock bar by way of U-bolts. My grab bar is ground down from being drug down the asphault. Not in the best shape. I have seen where the grab bar can be cut - off, the cut ends of the sub-frame capped off , drilled and tapped for the mounting of a custom made grab bar. I'm looking to do the same thing but with an after market bar.

08-02-2003, 11:27 AM
if you buy an aftermarket subframe i believe they use an 89' 250r grab bar so u can use a variety of aftermarket ones.

Juggalo
08-02-2003, 12:04 PM
t.hopp i know prm and some other companies make grab bars where you cut your stock one off and this one goes in its place. thats what i was refering to. if you have the cash definatley go the new subframe route.

user101
08-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
t.hopp i know prm and some other companies make grab bars where you cut your stock one off and this one goes in its place. thats what i was refering to. if you have the cash definatley go the new subframe route.

PRM used to make them like that but quit. i think customer prolly thought it was to much work or sumthin. that why they started using u bolts. im gonna try and get my frame powdercoated this winter and will prolly do this mod.

JOEX
08-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Like the others said, PRM's old style grab bars required cutting the stock subframe and using mounting brackets the need to welded on. They might still have the mounting brackest available.
http://prm-atv.com/

Joe

BigThumper33
08-02-2003, 07:40 PM
I had mine cut off when my frame was redone. Two tabs were welded on with 2 nuts on each metal plate. A 250R grab bar bolts on nicely :)