PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Skids..

Out_Sider
08-01-2003, 06:38 PM
i was wondering if the Maier skids are worth buying, or if i should just get AC skids??

08-02-2003, 05:18 AM
go to www.exriders.com homespage....go to product reviews....then find the maier skids....its a good review.

Elmo on PCP
08-02-2003, 05:36 AM
for MX i think there great,,, keeps yer chain wear down to from the dirt rubign at it. But for the woods dont even bother

Rip_Tear
08-02-2003, 12:13 PM
It totaly depends on the use of the skids, MX and duning (no rocks) a plastic skid is a good idea. If you ride real rocky places get a Protect Stainless steel one, its its moderate (not very rocky) get an aluminum one :D

Good luck, it can be a hard choice, I am getting a Protect even though I like to jump, if I find it to heavy I am just going to get another (cheaper) skid for when I am jumping :D

Texan32
08-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Rip is right

MX = plastic or no skid
Goofing around = aluminum
XC or rocky areas = stainless

the stainless is the heaviest, but when it comes to keeping the underside safe, its pretty much bulletproof

the alloy ones are pretty tough to though. I have a RPM belly skid. I have run 2 XC races that were extreemely rocky. Took some pretty hard hits, but its still holding strong!

i hace no experience with the plastic. I would think that in order for it to be effective, it would have to be super thick...causing t to be a litle heavy. but like i said, no experience

tprender
08-02-2003, 04:17 PM
For the rearend the protect is about the best you can get. That is what I have. For the belly pan you can use a plastic skid and it will cause any problems. I made one from a truck mudflap 3 years ago and it is still amost just like new.

nacs400ex
08-04-2003, 10:03 AM
I have a plastic and a aluminum skid plate. I like the plastic better cause its lighter. Although I decided to take it off cause the trails around here have no rocks. The track just has small rocks. So yeah it is pretty much what kind of riding you do.

08-04-2003, 10:11 AM
I"ve run a maier belly skid for almost 2 years. But it's days are about numbered. It works OK for mile trail riding but few XC races and 4 trips to the Hatfield McCOy trails and it's shot...:ermm:

I've got a brand new PRM at home but my frame is tweaked and it won't work...I"ll probably have to run maier from this time on because of it..:(

TheX1992
08-05-2003, 05:09 PM
i have a maier skid....it aint bad. it does what it's designed to do. better than running nothing

QuadJunkies
08-06-2003, 04:35 AM
I hated my aftermarket skid and sold it .To be quite honest, the plastic skid on our Predaotr is better than the aftermarket one i had......:huh ....When and if I get another one for the 400ex,it will be plastic.....

Doibugu2
08-06-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I've got a brand new PRM at home but my frame is tweaked and it won't work...I"ll probably have to run maier from this time on because of it..:(

You'll never put the PRM on anyway, so you wanna sell it?

08-06-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
You'll never put the PRM on anyway, so you wanna sell it?

I ain't even paid for it yet.. I just grabbed it one day and said let me take this home and see if it'll mount up....:ermm: And now it's still sittin in the garage.. I'm sure Jeff would be glad ta send ya one...Or is it that you want MY skid doug...be honest....:scary:

Doibugu2
08-06-2003, 05:15 AM
I really want your skid:eek: , yea right:blah:

I haven't been running one at all, do you think I really need one? I need a new swingarm, and just don't like the idea of spending another 80 or 90 something on that. I want a new bumper too. So that's like 240 worth of protection.:ermm:

08-06-2003, 05:17 AM
Yes ya need it I think.. Have ya pulled the pivot bolt out yet???

Doibugu2
08-06-2003, 05:33 AM
Yea, I pulled it out beginning of this year. It was a good think too, it was starting rust a bit. I need to pull it again soon. Just have to quit being lazy. But I haven't ridden much this year.