PDA

View Full Version : crankcase breather spitting oil?

RideRed400StYlE
08-01-2003, 03:48 PM
alright. I have posted about this before with some good replies on what this might be. but I have gotten nowhere on the problem. so here it goes again.
I recently turned my 400 into a 426 with a je 13:1 comp piston. new rings and all. after riding for a while I noticed a lot of oil in my airbox. couldnt figure out why so I ran a new hose with a breather on it to keep the oil out of my airbox. went riding again. and the bike is covered in oil coming from the breather. no vent lines are pinched. I thought at first there was too much oil, but I now know that cannot be the case. I took apart my top end and found a scratch in the cylinder wall. so I resleeved rebored new hone new piston and new rings all over again( the first piston was used) anyways. I got it back together and I went down the road to start the breakin process and there is oil all over again. still coming from the same spot. so I checked my oil return line. I took it off and turned the bike over. oil spit right out. the line is not blocked at all either. the only strange thing that I noticed is my oil seems to be really watery like it is breaking down really fast or somthing. this is a new oil to me I never used it untill after the rebuild. it is valvoline 4 stroke atv oil (10w40) the oil smells bad after I use it. and the only thing I can think now is maybe this is a bad oil and it is breaking down really fast getting really watery and getting thrown all over the inside of the motor and right into the breather section. I am going to try another type of oil tomarrow. but if anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

and sorry for the book I just want everyone to know what I tired. there is no way that it is blow by causing this. the rings on the old piston are like brand new. and the new ones are.. well..... brand new

JJWB023
08-02-2003, 03:37 AM
spitting oil...not cool, not cool

RideRed400StYlE
08-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Alright everyone. I think I have the problem solved. so anyone else with this problem may want to try this too. check what kind of oil you are using. I was using valvoline atv 10w40. the oil is really bad. it is like water and breaks down after about 15 minutes. this may be because I have a lot of motor work done, but I am not sure. I switched over to mobil 1 15w50 (red cap) and my problems are gone. no more oil coming out of the breather. and no more watery oil. I wont ever use valvoline again. I am calling the company up on monday to see if I can get a refund on the rest of the case of oil i bought, because i am not satisfied with it one bit!!.. Just wanted to let everyone in on this. I would steer clear of the new valvoline!