PDA

View Full Version : worn clutch symptoms

UglyMotha™
08-01-2003, 03:47 PM
what's the symptoms of a worn clutch we put a brand new cable on my buddies yz125 and i had to adjust all the way out until there was no adjustment left to get the cable to even tighten up and and with the lever pulled all the way to bar it still wants to go and will kill the motor i'm not sure if it's slipping any cause it's not my bike and i don't have a feel for it and i really couldn't tell if it was pulling like it should cause the grass was wet and i was fish tailing everywhere but that bout sums it up i'm pretty sure this means the clutch is gone but i was just looking for a more experienced opinion also if it is the clutch what would be the best fibers to go with, thanks

08-01-2003, 06:17 PM
nice run on sentence :D

Guy400
08-02-2003, 12:06 AM
You had to take all the adjustment out of the cable at both ends? First, I've got to ask one dumb question--did your friend buy the proper cable? Secondly, here's how I always replace clutch cables and have never had a problem. I install the cable on the lever end with the adjuster in the middle of the allowable adjustment range. Then, on the motor end, I move the clutch arm with my hand right to the point where you feel tension on the clutch springs (it'll be obvious when you do it). Once I get the arm moved to that point I make the adjustment on the case end of the cable to hold that position. From there on out I make all adjustments to the clutch on the lever end. It will be harder for you to discern whether or not the clutch is adjusted right since you're not familiar with the bike but just look for the obvious. Slipping under a load is a sure sign that you've got the cable adjusted too tight. The cable is too loose if you notice the bike walking while the clutch is in and you rev it. Listen for chatter coming from the clutch as well. If you're sure you've got the cable adjusted correctly pull the cover and inspect the clutches. All the glazed clutches I've ever seen looked shiny like someone Simonized the fibers (the fibers were slightly reflective even when dry) and also had evidence of hot spots.

UglyMotha™
08-02-2003, 04:03 AM
i know how to adjust a clutch cable, so that really wasn't my question, i bought the cable and i bought it from c&d racing and i was on the phone whille dusty looked it up and read it off to me so i'm pretty sure it's the right one besides the fact that it looked exactly like the stock one we took off not to mention the same lenght which goes back to my question with no play in the lever with it completly tight in the perch i can pull it all the way back to the bar and the clutch is still grabing in my opinion there shouldn't be that much pull in the clutch no matther what cable you have on it

UglyMotha™
08-04-2003, 01:15 AM
anyone :o

kaneman23
08-04-2003, 01:59 AM
If it's a new cable and the proper cable then the clutch is probably showing it's age. My EX clutch is doing the samething. I originally bought a new clutch cable because I thought it was streched out. However, it's the clutch. I have very little adjustment left because the plates are worn.
Also, my clutch is still grabbing hard as well. It just doesn't grab until the lever is almost all the way out..