PDA

View Full Version : clutch repalcement help needed

REC
08-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Alright, I am replacing the original clutch in my 1999 400ex. I did the 416 upgrade at the begining of the year and the clutch has started to yelp when I am doing slow technical riding. No noticiable slipping yet. Anyway I just removed the stock clutch.
Based on other posts I noticed the basket fingers are just barely starting to groove. I mean you can hardly feel them with your finger nail, but they are there. Is this reason enough to replace the basket? I don't race so its not getting the pounding that a lot of your bikes get. I would like to get a hinson, but dont want to spend the $$ if I dont need to.

Oh yea what clutch kit do you recommend? Barnett, EBC,....

Thanks

nakomis0
08-02-2003, 04:14 AM
My clutch basket is also starting to get some grooves in it. Am curious how bad it can get before you need to replace it and if theres any symptoms u might feel.

As far as what type of kit to get i can answer that one....

Stock

or

For Dirt Only... has a kit that uses 250r fibers and 300ex plates. Suppose to be a good setup, its what ill get when my stuff goes bad.

and Barnett is terrible. i used that and it slipped like crazy.. i took it out and puit the stock back.

RIDER11X
08-02-2003, 04:36 AM
I heard of people having success with filing light grooving off of a basket, and there is a guy around here that puts steel inserts on stock baskets to make them last longer. Not sure who it is or what he charges.

REC
08-02-2003, 04:45 AM
I have heard that stock are best from a couple of other people as well. They are a little more expensive, but I guess they are worth it.

The kits like EBC sells are just convient with everything in one package.

I am like you, as far as the basket goes. I have a book called "Motocross & Off road performance" by Eric Gorr. He is one of the leading motorcycle off road authorities. Anyway he mentions that if the clutch basket grooves are 1mm deep or worse it should be replaced. Mine are not a mm yet so I think I am ok.

Later

RIDER11X
08-02-2003, 04:47 AM
Are EBC kits good?:ermm:

REC
08-02-2003, 04:52 AM
Thats what I am not sure about.
I have never used one, but they are a big name brand.
I would'nt think they could be but so bad.
For a recreational rider like myself they might be fine. I think a lot of they people that say they burn up plates are racing.

I found a kit at recreationunlimited.com for $69 that includes steel,and fiber plates, HD springs and a gasket.

That sounds like a sweet deal if you ask me.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-02-2003, 08:50 AM
if the grooves are deep you can file them down and get you some time but if it happens again it will be time to replace the basket..
I have the ebc clutch in mine no problems yet.. Colby had the barnett in his 400 and it still has not had any problems even with the present owner.. the sparks clutches are nice but pricey. people that have them have nothing but good thing to say.

08-02-2003, 11:38 AM
:uhoh:
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/nacsracer27/new%20complete%20clutch%20setup.jpg