PDA

View Full Version : Elka shocks

Mity Mo
01-21-2002, 05:43 PM
My question is for you guys and gals that own Elka Triple rate shocks with the SSD installed, have you ever raced with them. I have not read where any of yous have actually used them in race conditions. I know they jump well and soak up landings but thats only half the story I want. How do they make your quad hook up in straight line racing. How are they in a 180* corner with quads fighting for position. I want to know if you can dive in on a guy and maintain control in a RACING situation, not one that involves your uncles Bayou or whatever. Any feedback would be deeply appreciated. Mo

PhilMoore
01-22-2002, 10:30 PM
This may or may not help you a little.

I went Ice racing sunday. I have Elkas on my Banshee. I totally unscrewed the preload so the quad sat really low, but not as low as some of the others that were there! Anyway, I lost my heat very much badly. I noticed in the corners, it would want to "roll" to the outside. I am certain this is because I had the preload set so loose. They don't feel so spongy when I have them tightened up normally. I didn't know what I was doing, and I asked them to put me in a "first timer" class. Well, the tech said to run the Open class. My heat had three riders, and they both had quads built strictly for Ice Racing. The guy that took second place spun out in the first corner, and I was like "YAY!!!". One more corner, and a looong straight stretch, and he blew by me so fast, I thought I was in first....(I was in fifth!!!!)

I think the Elkas are professional grade shocks, and I don't think you would be unhappy with them.