PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle bearing removal

Mitch400EX
01-21-2002, 03:52 PM
I just got an RPM dominator axle, and figured i'd replace the bearings and seals while I was swapping axles. I've only had the quad for about 2 years, but it gets ridden hard. Anyway after completely removing the axle and bearing carrier, I relized that those bearings aren't going anywhere without a fight (pressed in?) and decided to revaluate whether or not I really need to replace them. unfortunately I removed the side cover to one of the bearings on accident while trying to get it out of the carrier. I was able to get it to seal back on there pretty well though.

My first question is are the bearings even designed to be removed from the carrier? If so how do you do it?

My second question is that i've heard of people greasing their rear axle bearings (even though their supposedly "lubed for life"). How do you do this, just remove seals on the side of the bearings and add grease?

Thanks in advance :confused:

chris29
01-21-2002, 04:17 PM
Those bearings are pressed in so they are going to have to be pressed out. You can probaly take it to a shop that has a press and have them press it out. Don't try to hammer it out you will mess up those bearing and maybe even the carrier. People put grease on the axle part that goes into the bearing carrier. Most aftermarket bearing carriers have greese fitings on them to greese the bearing carrier. Put in your case just put some greese inside the bearing carrier and the axle right before you put it back together.

400exRacerX
01-21-2002, 06:47 PM
I got mine out with a hammer and a flathead screwdriver,,,,took alittle bit but got them out and man were they a ***** to remove. Hey chris29 what do you meen dont use a hammer because you will wreck the bearings? The bearings are shot anyway so why would you be worried about wrecking them? And when I used a hammer I didn't leave one dent on the carrier.

Mitch400EX
01-21-2002, 08:58 PM
Yeah I tried it w/ a flat head and a hammer, couldn't get the bearings to budge. left a scar on the carrier when removing the axle seals in the same manner, those things didn't want to budge either, but I eventually got them off.

Thanks y'all :D

01-21-2002, 09:55 PM
The real deal on bearings.

Remember that the bearings in your carrier are a precision part and need to be handled properly.

If you like go here for more info: (it's bi lingual)http://www.ntnpanama.com/english/aspectosTecnicos/manejo/default.htm

There are many styles of bearings and the ones in the carrier are not perfect for the application. Every bad set I have seen failed more due to this mis application than anything else. AtV's generate very large thrust loads (pushing longways through the shaft) during turning but the bearing used is primarily designed for a radial load and very little thrust load.

Knowing this keep an eye on your run out(the amount the axle will move) as when they begin to go bad you will have more"play" in the axle.

It is better to change the bearings than spend a billion on a carrier and if you let the bearings go too far thats what you will need. Do not bother to grease sealed bearings as this will only cause problems.

Hope this helps.

chris29
01-21-2002, 11:36 PM
Heck I don't know what I was thinking, guess I forgot they were shot and he did not need them anymore and I did not want him to fu*k up and accidently mess up the bearing carrier.

Yee-Haw_400EX
12-20-2005, 11:38 AM
The oven method is a joke. I've had my back axle out for over 2 months now and work on getting the bearings out at least 2 hours a week and have had NO luck. I'm saving up for a new carrier now because I can't get these shot bearings out. Pretty worthless if you ask me to replace them in the stock carrier. Its impossible to do.

DAVE14
12-26-2005, 11:59 AM
normally the carrier gets damaged or chipped in some way any way ther pretty fragile Ive played the bearing game a few times but ,eventually put in a greaseable Rad carrier & its lasted for years with no signs of slowin down as long as you grease it once in a while & make sure the seals are good I cant see these things ever wearin out there worth every penny !