PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake problems...Need Help!!

08-11-2001, 03:35 PM
A little while ago the parking brakes on all three of my family's 400ex's stopped working at exactly the same time!! I was wondering if this is common, and how can I fix it? I don't want to do the parking brake block-off thing.
Help would be much appreciated!

NVR2L8
08-11-2001, 07:41 PM
They probably just need to be adjusted to compensate for stretching of the cable and brake pad wear. Check your owners manual on how to adjust the parking brake, as well as the clutch.

08-12-2001, 12:25 AM
Thanks. I will adjust them tomorrow. I just thought it was kinda weird that all three quads had this happen at exactly the same time!

4punksdad
08-12-2001, 06:43 AM
don't waste your time. The honda parking brake is a poor design. keeping it adjusted is a full time job, and it will lead to premature brake wear. I have mine adjusted so loose that it can't possibly put any pressure on my pads..........thank me later.

08-12-2001, 02:07 PM
So if you have it so loose that it can't put any pressure on your pads, why don't you just remove it? I was just wanting to keep it working for situations like if I am stuck on a dune and need to get off the bike, I don't want it going down the hill so I would put the parking brake on.

AlaskaSpeed
08-12-2001, 06:16 PM
if you are parked on a dune and don't want to lose your quad down a hill.....keep the quad in gear....3punks is right, the parking brake is a bad design that costs you more money to keep than a block off plate will.....JIM

coryatver
08-12-2001, 06:42 PM
Yeah i am with those guys. I wouldn't trust that junky parking break to work. Once you remove it it gives it a lot cleaner look.

08-12-2001, 09:51 PM
Okay, after trying to adjust the parking brake tonight and failing about five friggin' times, I think that I will try to get one of those block of plates. Where is a good place to get on of those? When you get rid of that parking brake thing on the clutch lever, do you need to buy a new lever? Thanks for your help.

4punksdad
08-13-2001, 05:51 PM
no need to remove it and get a block off plate..........just ignore it..........next time you crash & break your clutch leaver, replace it with aftermarket & buy the block off plate at that time.

Stevo
08-13-2001, 06:33 PM
You can just leave it really loose like 3punks said. Or remove everything with a block off. I got one from speed racing and it works good.

08-14-2001, 12:33 PM
Thanks. I'll probably have to just leave it loose for now since I am going to Moses Lake on Thursday. I would like to get one of those blockoff plates though.