PDA

View Full Version : Update to my blown motor need help

luvmyex
07-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Ok i got the cam out.(cam tensioner) duh! So i was able to get the head off.The cam looks fine.:D Thank god! It only has 8-10 hrs on it.From what i can tell the head is ok also.And valves,but i havent taken all that apart to look close.All the rockers seem ok too.everything is still smooth and looks normal in the head and up. The top of the piston is still intact.I suprized with all the chuncks i found in the bottom end.I though for sure it was piston.Maybe its just the lower part of the piston.The top ring has come almost out of the grove?and is very tight.the 2nd ring has almost lined up with the top one.So i guess that is where the oil was going.But it didnt smoke or not that anyone could tell.Ok here's where im stuck again.THe cylinder is STUCK!i cant get it off the case and piston.The wall are scratched but not so bad that going up to a 426 might get it out.I have beat it till i worked up a sweat with a rubber mallet and it wont budge.Any ideas how to get it off?

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-31-2003, 11:02 AM
Once and a while I will see Colby use a big pry bar or a screw driver and try to pry up on the cylider trying to do both sides the same amount just to break the seal.. JUST BE VERY CAREFULL IF YOU DO TRY THIS not too much force you could break something..

hondafox440
07-31-2003, 11:09 AM
Try heating it. It may expand enough to slide off.

Dirt
07-31-2003, 11:20 AM
If the piston is seized try and turn the nut on the flywheel, you may be able to get the jug to move up with the piston away from the bottom end? It may work. Unless its at the very bottom or top of stroke, you could prob use a rubber mallet on the piston to get it to release from the cylinder. :confused:

Castor-426ex
07-31-2003, 05:26 PM
hey sounds to me like you might have lost the clip from the wristpin

i might be wrong though

UglyMotha™
08-01-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Try heating it. It may expand enough to slide off.

whhhaaaaa :huh

R-Crazy
08-01-2003, 02:10 AM
use heat, not too much tho, cuz the cylinder might expand too much and crack. i dont recommend the screwdrivers and prying, cuz they might damage the mating surfaces and it may not seal right again. good luck

dave

luvmyex
08-01-2003, 03:52 AM
i tried useing the claw of a hammer to pry it up.no luck!I didnt try heat yet i will try that today.The rubber mallet ...well not much there.Although i think i did break the seal.The sound changed after several wacks. Theres no chance turning the flywheel in either direction.Something it wedged inside the lower unit.So the vinture continues! more updates to follow.

Doibugu2
08-01-2003, 03:55 AM
This is way over my head, but this would be where I would call a couple of car places or some dealers to see what they say. Your engine can't be the first one to have this happen. So I would start calling places near by to see if they may have some redneck (sorry Rico) way of getting it out.

Colby@C&DRacing
08-01-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by R-Crazy
use heat, not too much tho, cuz the cylinder might expand too much and crack. i dont recommend the screwdrivers and prying, cuz they might damage the mating surfaces and it may not seal right again. good luck

dave

Silver fox was not talking about prying on the mating surfaces of the cylinder. Just on the outside. sounds like a tolerance issue or a wrist pin that caused the motor to fail. as far as the rings lining up that is not really an issue since the rings in a 4 stroke rotate around the piston with every revolution:)

luvmyex
08-01-2003, 09:30 AM
I think someone else said a wrist pin or clip i think Colby.Well i think its whipped me:grr: I just took the lower unit and cylinder minus the two sidecases (soon to be looking sweet! when we gonna be able to post some pics?) To a dealer thats pretty good on rebuilds.Although its a yammy shop :blah: He's going to finish tearing it down and let me know what it will cost to get it back togeather.Its really close on weather it will make it at a 426.So i may have to resleave the cylinder.All i do is woods ride usually at a hard pace.But sometimes i will putt around.And i dont think a 440 will stay cool enough,will it?If i resleave should i go back stock with a 10.8:1 or go back to a 416?The whole top end looks good to me so i still have a brand new hotcam II that i can still use.

Castor-426ex
08-11-2003, 05:20 PM
dude dont do the 426...

get the 440 and do it right if you plan on keeping her around...

i like the power of a 426 but the maint is more picky because with the tolerances of the cylinder that thin you have to keep the oil changed in it a lot more...this isnt the case with all...but still...

if you do a 426make sure to have a very reputable shop do the bore...

400exstunta
08-11-2003, 06:03 PM
what type of riding will you be doing. that should determine 416 or 440. ive heard nothing but crap about 426s though honestly. my engine builder wouldnt even do it for me.

a properly done 416 can walk with a 440. no joke there either.

If you need any help lemme know.

BigThumper33
08-11-2003, 06:13 PM
a properly done 440 can walk away from a 416 too...:rolleyes:

Castor-426ex
08-11-2003, 06:30 PM
thats very true....build two equal quads with the same internals but diff bores...416, cam , port, exhaust and pit it against a 440, cam, port, exhaust........BOTH built by a good builder or mechanic and the 440 will spank a 416...with equal riders

but ive raced Striker49's quad against 440's when it was a 426 and just bout made them soil themselves...but i dont think they did the 440 the way it should be....

im curious to see how his quad will dow with the 416

400exstunta
08-11-2003, 06:35 PM
o dont get me wrong i wasnt saying every 440. i know most 440s will walk away from a 416.

if you dont agree thats fine, its not like my word is Gods word. Just what Ive experienced around here.

By no means am I an expert in Engines and Building them. I blow more up then i help.

Castor-426ex
08-11-2003, 06:41 PM
dude...lol i was agreeing with you...:D

400exstunta
08-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
a properly done 440 can walk away from a 416 too...:rolleyes:

yeah i know you were :)