PDA

View Full Version : What is zero preload.

Glow Plug
07-31-2003, 05:22 AM
Alright probley another stupid question but I want to know what is zero preload. WHat is it and what does it do?

thanks

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-31-2003, 06:52 AM
i copied this from some website...maybe it will help a lil bit.

PEP "ZPS" Front and Rear Shocks:

Now into their third year of existence, ZPS (Zero Preload System) shocks are PEP's latest creation. Recommended for Pro and "A" level racing. Most recently the ZPS shocks were used to capture first and second place at the 12 hours of Pont De Vaux annual ATV race. These are the shocks that have bogged down all of the PEP distributors. They simply can't make them fast enough. Currently making up 50% of all sales,(and growing daily)-- these shocks are the best thing to enter the sport of ATV Racing since the fourth wheel. To take full advantage of this superior shock system, PEP recommends that ZPS shocks be used in conjunction with one another.
The reason for all the fuss is that these shocks allow the rider to adjust his ride height without sacrificing any wheel travel. For example an ATV with 12" of wheel travel could be set to sit at a ride height of an ATV with only 8" of wheel travel. What does this mean? With the variable center of gravity, cornering speeds can increase greatly. Another added bonus with a variable center of gravity is the ability to obtain more traction than a higher conventional sitting quad. Another way to explain this is that the chassis "floats" on the suspension, allowing for maximum weight transfer. Since the wheel travel remains the same, the shocks provide the same terrain gobbling smoothness, and big hit absorption as the LTD Mass Shocks. There are plenty of technical things that happen to allow for these extraordinary shocks to work the way they do, but we figured we could spare you all the complexities and let AMA Grand National Champion, Tim Farr, say what he thinks of the ZPS shocks:

"It's like riding my TT bike and my Motocrosser at the same time! I can go into a turn fast and hard without worrying about high siding. It's amazing that I can do this without compromising the quality of the shock's ability to soak up hard landings. With this combination I feel more in control with less fatigue, that results in going faster and winning." --Tim Farr

northeast400
07-31-2003, 08:01 AM
not a dumb question because my ELKAS have it and I didn't even know they did.

07-31-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by northeast400
my ELKAS have it

I believe elka just has SSD ( self sagging device) and is not a zero preload. When your quad is on the stand do the springs rattle and have movement before compressing or do they have tension on them? If they move while just on the shock then they are zero preload if not they are not a zero preload shock.

Chanman420q
07-31-2003, 08:56 AM
but in a sence the SSD and the ZPS do the same thing, let the bike sit lower without sacrafising travel

Dirt
07-31-2003, 11:33 AM
SSD and Zero preload are the same. I do not think that any of the shocks truly have zero preload, not that zero preload would be any better than very very little.

Zero preload or SSD have a very light top spring that is preloaded, but the spring is so light or soft that you wouldn't ever know the difference between full compression and extension of that spring. It does give some preload in order to keep the components such as spacers and springs from harshly contacting each other and causing possible damage from misalignment during rapid compression.

:D

400EXrider#91
08-02-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
i copied this from some website...maybe it will help a lil bit.

thanks for that info. stuff i didn't know in there

Ryan
08-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Doesn't Bill Ballance use Custom Axis, Zero Preload Shocks?