PDA

View Full Version : hard starting & low idle after being heated up, bike blubbers at midrange. too rich?

ryanh250ex
07-31-2003, 04:48 AM
ok, here are my mods: Pro Circuit complete system (2-inch end cap, not sure if there is a quiet core or not, most likely not), stock lid w/no holes, stock snorkel, and stock filter. my jetting is a 96 main (K&N jet kit) stock needle at 5th groove from top (2 grooves below stock) and fuel screw at 2.75 turns out. the bike runs pretty strong, but after being heated up, it acts a bit differently. the bike idles kinda low (low enough to die out at idle), and when you go to start it (once it's warmed up and all), it wont start unless you open up the throttle. when you open the throttle about mid way, it like, blubbers.i cant really describe it, other than that it blubbers. i recently tried going to the very last needle clip position, and the bike ran like crap, i guess because it was too rich. so am i still too rich? should i put the e clip at one position lower than stock instead of two (where it is now).

also, for my mods, do you think my main jet too small? i've been really wondering if i should pay for a few bigger mj's and seeing if it runs any better.

thanks in advance,
Ryan

cals400ex
07-31-2003, 07:16 PM
what is the stock size of the main on your bike? i think your too rich on the needle. move the clip up one or two positions.

ryanh250ex
08-02-2003, 05:28 AM
stock mj is 95. there's a 96 in it now, but i think it is too lean. i cant to a plug reading because when i first got the pipe in order to keep it from doing a nasty backfire i used to lug the crap out of the bike in 3rd gear (i'd even come to a complete stop at certain times and take off in 3rd) and because of that the plug is black as hell (i'm amazed it hasn't fouled out yet). i dont do that any more, but......would a 98 or maybe a 102 mj fix this, along with putting the needle at one notch below the stock position (stock is 3rd from top, so it will be at 4th from top)?

speedy400
08-02-2003, 07:11 AM
try cleaning out your carb, I had that problem with my 450 twin 1983 motorcycle and used some cleaner and it works nice and smooth now.-darren

cals400ex
08-02-2003, 07:54 AM
yes, try a little bigger main. a 98 dynojet sounds like a good jet to run. either that or a 100 keihin should be pretty close too. as far as the needle, move the clip to the 3rd or 4th position. i have never dealt with a dynojet needle so i am not sure how they work. i would try the 4th and if the plug still is black, move it up to the 3rd. do you not have the directions to the dynojet kit? also, get a new plug so you can get some type of reading from it. anymore, the fuel is so bad that many times the reading from your plug may not be accurate.

ryanh250ex
08-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
yes, try a little bigger main. a 98 dynojet sounds like a good jet to run. either that or a 100 keihin should be pretty close too. as far as the needle, move the clip to the 3rd or 4th position. i have never dealt with a dynojet needle so i am not sure how they work. i would try the 4th and if the plug still is black, move it up to the 3rd. do you not have the directions to the dynojet kit? also, get a new plug so you can get some type of reading from it. anymore, the fuel is so bad that many times the reading from your plug may not be accurate.

eh, i'm using k&n/keihin jets. i figure the 100 keihin would be good. i am running a STOCK needle.

i will buy a bigger mj and raise the clip one spot.