PDA

View Full Version : my pipe...

Out_Sider
07-31-2003, 04:07 AM
I just got all my motor mods on yesterday, and when we cranked it up, and since with the new cam, ur suppose to hold it at 2000 RPMs for 15 minutes. Well within the first 3 or so, the New DMC exhaust head pipe turned CHERRY RED!! and now it doesnt have the Chrome look to it, I know its Stainless steel, but is this suppose to happen?¿

ryanh250ex
07-31-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
I just got all my motor mods on yesterday, and when we cranked it up, and since with the new cam, ur suppose to hold it at 2000 RPMs for 15 minutes. Well within the first 3 or so, the New DMC exhaust head pipe turned CHERRY RED!! and now it doesnt have the Chrome look to it, I know its Stainless steel, but is this suppose to happen?¿

hmm... did you rejet after the motor mods?

the glowing headpipe thing is very common with 300's and 400's. i have never seen my PC header glow, but it is a bronze-tone naturally, so i dunno.

check your jetting, other than that, i think it's perfectly normal.

Out_Sider
07-31-2003, 08:08 AM
how do i tell how the jetting is without going into the carb??? Everyone said that it might be running lean, but i dont know how to check it. We dont have any plastic on it, But my pipe never went back to the chrome color, it stayed kinda blue-ish purple?

AtvMxRider
07-31-2003, 08:18 AM
Sounds like you are running lean. check the plug. You really need to check and see what size jets you have in the carb:ermm: .

07-31-2003, 08:22 AM
I must agree with the old fart ^^^ on this one. You really need to check the plug.

Out_Sider
07-31-2003, 08:24 AM
what would happen if i checked the plug, and they came back very lean. like how would it mess up the motor?

AtvMxRider
07-31-2003, 08:26 AM
what would happen if i checked the plug, and they came back very lean. like how would it mess up the motor?

When it is lean it is running hotter.

hondafox440
07-31-2003, 08:31 AM

The fuel actually atomizes on top of the piston, then vaporizes and dissapates, and in essence cools the piston. If you are running lean, this doesn't happen, and you can actually burn a hole in your piston.

Out_Sider
07-31-2003, 09:40 AM
well, we were going into the carb, a 1 of the bolts is stripped!!!!! so we cant get in it!!!! HOw do u take a striped bolt out of it??? Its really starting to P!$$ me off!!!

Bill Fuller
07-31-2003, 09:48 AM
You don't have to take the carb apart to figure out what kind of jetting it's on the bottm of the carb just remove the bowl(17mm I believe)a 6mm to remove the jets.Main and pilot somtimes they will come out together.The pipe will turn blue after use there is nothing you can do about it other than have it ceramic coated.AS far as the stripped screw,use a sharp punch and tap it (the head) counter closkwise and it should come off or cut a groove in it and use a flat head screw driver.

drip
08-03-2003, 11:39 AM
If you have enough room, you might try a pair of vise-grip pliers to remove the screw.

Diedrich
08-03-2003, 11:55 AM
my dmc turned bronze after a full days of use. cant do nothing about it unless u get it coated..doesn't hurt anything. it just dont look as good

08-03-2003, 03:54 PM
when i stripped a couple bolts on my carb i did 2 things. If its bad take a hammer and a flat head screw driver. Since the bolts are soft pound the crap out of the screw driver to try to cut into the bolt then turn it. Or take a little chizel or something and put it in the thread and hit it. This works for me or u can just break the head off and take the cover off and get a pair of pliers and un screw it. All of these things will work.