PDA

View Full Version : Painted Engine

300exrider99
07-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Well tonite i finally got sick of looking at my very stained engine (thanks to the previous owner).:mad: I decided that i'm gonna paint the entire engine black, with the exception of the starter motor and stuff like that. I've already taken the engine out of the frame and now all i need to do is clean it up the best i can, and paint it. Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe a pic of an all black engine.

Thanks,
300exrider99

L.Vegas400
07-30-2003, 06:28 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42536&highlight=paint+engine

its all up to you, but i wouldnt.....

pnut420
07-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Oh know dont do it man, you will hate that you did it! It will come off in less than a week Id say. :o

racint33
07-30-2003, 06:50 PM
if u actually do that make sure you get some high temp. paint or that stuff will cum off quick...

wilkin250r
07-31-2003, 06:27 AM
How is it stained? You can probably take it to a powdercoat shop and ask them to sandblast it with a fine grit, that should get rid of any kind of stain or rust, just make sure you cover the intake and exhaust ports REALLY well.

I wouldn't paint the engine, or just paint the side cases. Your engine needs to conduct heat from your cylinder to the outside air, which is why you have all the cooling fins. High-temp paints are ceramic, which doesn't conduct heat very well. If you paint your entire engine, and get paint in all the cooling fins, you're going to end up with an overheating problem. Don't paint an air-cooled engine.

300exrider99
07-31-2003, 07:39 AM
I don't know how the stains got there but i do know that when i tried to clean it with some real strong cleaning stuff, that the paint on the side cases came off before the stains did. And after seeing crazy honda's motor i think I'm gonna go ahead and paint it. If i notice that it's running any hotter then i'll just buy an oil cooler. Thanks for all the info guys but i just can't stand having those horrible looking stains on my motor.

07-31-2003, 08:33 AM
why don't you just go get it powdercoated???? it will last like 80x longer???

L.Vegas400
07-31-2003, 08:52 AM
my buddie has an 1100 shadow, and between the fins are coated with somthing. do some in depth research, there is prolly a special paint that is not only hi temp but made for air cooled engines...

NTPracing22
07-31-2003, 01:56 PM
POR 15 sells an engine paint that is high temp and finishes like powdercoat. they garentee thier stuff because it works so well if done right. i did it on my frame and it wouldn't chip when i put a screwdriver to it:devil: