PDA

View Full Version : Jetting!!!!Need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evan400ex
07-30-2003, 01:02 PM
I have never jetted anything but I know I could do it if I had better instuctions. Ok, I have an 03' 400ex. I bought a Dyno Jet kit and let my local dealer jet it when I bought my T-4 and K&N. I need to rejet now because I just bought an LRD full system and I am going to run it with the air box lid off. I need to run a DJ170 main which I have in the kit. I have no clue where the main jet is on the carb. Could someone please give me a description or diagram on how to install a main jet.

Evan400ex
07-30-2003, 03:19 PM
OK, does anyone have a LRD system, K&N, rev box, and air lid off on there 400ex??? If you do what size main jet are you running. The dyno jet kit says a 170 with the lid off and an aftermarket system so I guess I will go with that.

07-30-2003, 03:43 PM
ok dude the main jet is on the bottom of the carb. When u take ur rear plastic off the mainjet is on the bottom. You have to take a cover off but the mainjet and the pilot jet is in there. Its really not hard to jet a carb just take your time and use the right screwdrivers or you will strip something.

Evan400ex
07-30-2003, 03:57 PM
When u take ur rear plastic off the mainjet is on the bottom. You have to take a cover off but the mainjet and the pilot jet is in there.

Don't you need to take your front plastic and gas tank off to get completley to the carb and not just the rear plastic???

ewalker302
07-30-2003, 04:31 PM
You dont have to take off the front plastic, but you shoud take off the tank to make it easier.
When you get the carb off take off the 4 screws on the bottom of the carb to get to the float bowl. The main jet is the one sticking up between the two floats. If you are replacing the stock jet with DJ jets you have to replace the main jet (the piece with the #148 stamped on it) with the adapter that comes with the kit. Then you can screw on the new jet.

I know you can do this w/o taking the carb out but if you are doing it for the first time it will probably be easier, also you can check the bowl for any gunk that may be hiding in there.

Hope that helps.:bandit:

07-30-2003, 04:44 PM
there u go. Just take ur side panels and your gas tank cover off and then the tank and the clear plastic piece. Then loosen the carb boot and air boot and flip the carb upside down. oh yeh turn ur gas off and run it out of gas first. Don't put all of this stuff back on just the gas tank and test it around your hous to make sure the jetting is ok.

Evan400ex
07-30-2003, 05:15 PM
Thats all I needed to know. thanks!

JOEX
07-30-2003, 06:12 PM
First... get a repair/service manual, well worth the $$

Second, if you are just replacing the main jet there is no need to remove any plastic... not even the rear....

Turn off the fuel.....
Use a 17mm socket to remove the nut on the float bowl. (the nut on the bottom ofthe carb)
Use a 6mm (I think) to remove the main jet. You just gotta feel for it.

Reverse procedure to put back together with desired jet.

Joe

02-06-2004, 06:00 PM
and u made fun of me?????????
u r retarded

Willfulone
02-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Just tip the bike on its side, uncork the bottom of the carb, unscrew the main jet and screw the new one in...don't take all that stuff off...

Peace
Willfulone

mustang93
02-06-2004, 09:07 PM
if your just doing the main leave the carb on if doing the neadle and or pilot its easier to take the carb off or do like jingle said.