PDA

View Full Version : Stock 400 faster than mine.

Drtridr18
07-29-2003, 11:23 PM
His is an '02 bought with 5 hours on it, all stock bike pretty much, drilled lid/K&N filter/baffle out of exhaust and it will consistantly pull away from mine time after time, and I have a 2001 bought brand new with HMF Exhaust, Advance Key, K&N filter with the lid on, jetted just fine-oh and his tires are stock and near bald, and I have holeshot XCR's, regularly changed oil, have been running synthetic since after break in.

It doesn't make sense at all to any of us, I mean I know mine isn't modded to full tilt by any means, but a pretty much stock 400 shouldn't pull away no matter who the riders are.

What's the deal???!!!???

carlj75
07-29-2003, 11:38 PM
How much do you weigh? And how much does he weigh? I have noticed that the weight of the rider makes a huge difference. Have him ride your's and you ride his and see who wins.

stupid driver
07-30-2003, 01:12 AM
howd you break the quad in. That can make a big difference sometimes.

BIGRED400
07-30-2003, 01:27 AM
Take that lid and throw it like a frisbie ....you have to get the air thru that motor ..on both ends intake and exhaust.....just make you sure you run an outerwear to keep dirt out and check that filter constantly...you may have to re-jet when you do this just check your plug it will tell you by the color....I tryed the uni-filter holes in my lid but I finally took the lid off and the sparkarrestor out of my E-series and she carries the mail now.............good luck

dirtmomma
07-30-2003, 02:17 AM
Haha thats funny, people always are asking me what we have done to my husbands 400 cuz he can beat people w/ souped up ones but it's only got a WB slip on, air box lid removed, rev box & thats about it!!! Heck people at the jamboree we just got back from thought for sure it was a 440:huh He was very picky on the break in though so I suppose that does make alot of difference. All I know is I'm finally getting more used to it so maybe I'll race it one of these days, I used to hate the way it rode but since I've been riding my 300 lately maybe thats helping out. Yeah I would like to see what would happen if you guys switch riders too.

Pappy
07-30-2003, 02:21 AM
my stock engine seems mighty fast for what it is. jetted and piped its beaten a on of faster quads.....maybe it was built on a friday:cool:

dirtmomma
07-30-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
my stock engine seems mighty fast for what it is. jetted and piped its beaten a on of faster quads.....maybe it was built on a friday:cool: That has to be it LOL!!!

300exOH
07-30-2003, 07:36 AM
Did Honda maybe change carbs like they did with the 300ex's? Also his bald tires would've been slightly smaller giving him an advantage off the line. Did both machines still have stock gearing? Just a few ideas.

cals400ex
07-30-2003, 07:42 AM
what are you jetted at??? hmf recommends jets that are way too big. also, adjust your valves. that made a huge difference on my bike when they were not set correctly.

pnut420
07-30-2003, 08:01 AM
I bought mine from a guy that was picky on the break in, etc.. I had the end cap of the exhaust with the lid on and it was running fast, but after a few months of runnning it to lean and getting some sand in the intake and it was starting to get real sluggish. Running with the end csp off and not rejetting isnt a good idea, but it is fast. :)

stocktires
07-30-2003, 09:23 AM
If both of your quads are that close in performance, then it's not the quad that's making you loose :blah:
practice at your holeshot, as long as your 400 is running right, you can easily take him with skill

zoom400ex
07-30-2003, 09:35 AM
the same thing has happened to my friend and i. he has a 2002 400ex that is completely stock besides shaved fendres and a k&n filter. mine has shaved fenders,uni filter,holes drilled in airbox and snorkle removed,white bros e series slip on, and rejetted with a 155 main. we boht have stock gearing and i only have about 10- 15 pounds on him. he beats me top end consistently. i mena i can stay with him right untill he gets wide open then he goes right past me and i dunno what it is.

scooter8
07-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Did you ever check if the throttle cable was adjusted properly.

Chanman420q
07-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by scooter8
Did you ever check if the throttle cable was adjusted properly.

i was just thinking that, the 400ex carbs had a problem with some of them where it wouldnt go WOT

Out_Sider
07-30-2003, 04:40 PM
when i was at my local honda shop, i noticed all the quads on the showroom floor, have ALOT of play in the throttle, does it make it to were it wont open all the way up???

Drtridr18
07-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Well I have a twist throttle, it's adjusted pretty good, we've dragged a couple of different times, and other people have ridden each 'wheeler and say the same thing...I'll get the holeshot since I actually have tread on my tires, but then he pulls away...

stupid driver
07-30-2003, 05:30 PM
how did you break your motor in?

Drtridr18
07-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Took it relatively easy for first 2-3 tanks, varying loads and rpm's, getting more and more into it each time from bottom to top. Had dealer do first service and adjustment, changed my own oil 2 times after that with regular motorcycle oil, now I run Amsoil 4 cycle, and I have just adjusted my valves again the other day figuring it was about time again.

stupid driver
07-30-2003, 05:44 PM
Thats a toughy. I guess you should just practice and keep practicing on harnessing all the power your 400 will give you. Work on getting the holeshot, and being able to stay in the peak HP range while shifting. ;)

cals400ex
07-30-2003, 07:23 PM
i don't know how the twist throttles work, but i assume its opening the carb all the way? also, what mainjet are you using??

atvman6988
07-31-2003, 01:24 AM
if all else fails turn his fuel off b4 u race when hes not looking

Bender
07-31-2003, 02:19 PM
Finally some solid advice! ;)

atvman6988
07-31-2003, 02:25 PM
hey bender what part of nh are u from?? ya that trick works for me but some times u have to let them ride around for like a min to get most of the fuel out of their lines so they might get the hole shot and thats about it

Bender
07-31-2003, 03:39 PM
Well at least they'll get the hole shot to talk about, lol.
atvman, I'm straight outta Concord.

atvman6988
08-01-2003, 01:59 AM
glad to help is there any good riding up there besides hopcintion everit resivor?

Adam202
08-01-2003, 10:24 AM
one time i was on my 2k2 stock banshee and i raced my cousin who was on his modded 89 banshee w/ a 96 motor. well he had toomey t-5s, reeds, vitos pistons, and some other things and i ran dead even with him in a race, i got him off the line a little but his top end was a little faster. he has 60 pounds on me but he should have still beat me. i would say adjust your throttle cable so it only has a TID bit of play[not to tight or itll yank the throttle cable], and like some have already said practice holeshots, and keeping the revs up. i always start in 2nd gear, i have the best outcome in 2nd gear starts.