PDA

View Full Version : New Top Speed>>>>

frogburner
07-29-2003, 03:43 PM
You guys will like this....\

When I bought my 400 Brand new I ran a 66.5 MPH,, After jetting , slip on pipe, and K&N I ran a solid 68MPH... BUT Like three weeks ago,, I ran a 72MPH with all my mods listed,,Except the rear axle, chain, and bearing carrier... Cause 2 days after that,, MY Rearend caught fire for like a second or two,,, The bearings were dust when I took them out,, But I knew it was going to look rough ,, But i had to make it back home though.... Any way All these speeds were ran with a G.P.S. And its as close as 1/2 MPH higher or lower.... I was pretty proud...

Atreyu
07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
That is neat. I just got a GPS. I gotta figure out how to use it so i can see some top speeds.

JOEX
07-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Gearing/sprockets determine what your top speed is...

Joe

frogburner
07-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Gearing/sprockets determine what your top speed is...

Joe

BUT"""""" The more air/fuel mix,,, the higher the motor revs,, the higher the motor revs,,, the faster the sprockets are turning,, which in turn,, makes more speed.... I still have the stock sprockets on my ATV,,,

pnut420
07-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by frogburner
BUT"""""" The more air/fuel mix,,, the higher the motor revs,, the higher the motor revs,,, the faster the sprockets are turning,, which in turn,, makes more speed.... I still have the stock sprockets on my ATV,,,

what he means is for the most part the gearing determines it, if you wanted to you could get our quads up to 80. Also a 505 is going to have a little more top speed than a 400. :blah:

Chanman420q
07-30-2003, 10:25 AM
it aslo depends on the rev limit too....... if u can get an extra 1000RPMs per minute then ur gunna be hauling even more

MOFO
07-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
1000PRMs per minute...

RPM=Revolutions Per Minute. :blah:

I'd like to know how your rear end caught fire? :eek2: Or was that just a figure of speech meaning your bearings went out??

Chanman420q
07-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6

;)

07-30-2003, 11:28 AM
that would be kinda freaky to be rippin a trail or the mx track and ur back end just catches on fire.

2000ex
07-30-2003, 12:17 PM
You guys will like this....\

When I bought my 400 Brand new I ran a 66.5 MPH,, After jetting , slip on pipe, and K&N I ran a solid 68MPH... BUT Like three weeks ago,, I ran a 72MPH with all my mods listed

Sounds pretty dang good to me. I ran my bike a few weeks back with 22in rear tires, 15/39 gearing and the mods listed in my sig and ran in on 69.5 on the GPS I was using.

I thought for sure I would hit 70 :ermm:

JOEX
07-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Maybe..... as the others have stated your RPM's are still limited to the rev limiter.... which in turn limits the top speed.

I'm definatly no expert in this but I don't think a GPS system is an accurate way of measuring MPH over a relative short distance....JMO

Joe

H_W
07-31-2003, 09:36 AM
I have had similar results with my 400. Before I did any motor mods, with just a full White Brothers E- series exhaust system and a K&N air filter with no air box lid, I ran 71 mph on flat ground. With all the motor mods in my sig, I ran 78 mph. I too, still have the stock sprockets on my 400. I know that no one will believe me, and I have heard the "you can only gain top speed by changing the gearing or tires" line about a million times. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one proving that wrong.

frogburner
07-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6

I'd like to know how your rear end caught fire? :eek2: Or was that just a figure of speech meaning your bearings went out??

I know its hard to believe ,, but We had already rode probably 10 miles or so on blacktop/gravel roads... I noticed the rearend getting tight,, so I stopped and checked it out,,, and I wish I had a pic of it,, BUT,,, the swing arm by the sprocket was pretty much solid brown... The chain was even smokin... My buddy said,, you wanna go back.... I said NOPE,,, Its done gone we goin ridin... So we made a big round trip and started back.... And this all happened later in the evening so it was getting dark out,, but on the way back in to Oak Ridge,, My buddy started hollerin at me,,, I was like what in the world,,,, And he said my rearend by the sprocket sparked pretty big then went up into a ball of fire for a few seconds.... But I never imagined you could get then that hot...

JOEX
07-31-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by H_W
I have had similar results with my 400. Before I did any motor mods, with just a full White Brothers E- series exhaust system and a K&N air filter with no air box lid, I ran 71 mph on flat ground. With all the motor mods in my sig, I ran 78 mph. I too, still have the stock sprockets on my 400. I know that no one will believe me, and I have heard the "you can only gain top speed by changing the gearing or tires" line about a million times. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one proving that wrong.
What are you using to measure the top speed?
The top speed is still limited to RPM's, transmission gearing, sprockets and tire diameter.
A built motor will get to the top speed faster than a stock one. If a GPS is used, that might be why you are getting a "faster" top speed when you are actuall getting a better "average" top speed. You are getting from point A to point B in a shortewr amount of time.
The built motor might also be reving higher also.

Just my theory:)

Joe

Bad Habit
07-31-2003, 04:20 PM
A GPS could be a good, accurate way to tell speed. But it depends on the quality of the GPS. The one I have "pings" the satelite 3 times per second so it gives a very accurate speed reading. You can hold it in your hand and take off walking and it will begin giving your speed in about 3 steps.

Bad Habit
07-31-2003, 04:32 PM
BTW, my brother-in-laws Raptor has a Trail Tech speedo on it. He maxed his out at 74.2mph and I walked away from him. See my mods below plus I have a 16t front. So yes, it's possible for a modded 400 to run well in the high 70's.

And no, I haven't run with my GPS on my quad. It cost way to much to get wadded up.:eek:

stonerider250x
07-31-2003, 04:37 PM
how much did yall pic up yalls GPS for it ould be neat to have 1.

Bad Habit
07-31-2003, 04:52 PM
You can get really good ones nowadays for $200-$300. Wal-Mart even has some now. One tip, most of the Garmin units use a proprietary memory card (translation - expensive 8mb = $69) Magellan and a couple others have good units that use memory cards for digital cameras that you can pick cheap. 32mb = $30

H_W
08-01-2003, 08:56 AM
I used my dad's gps. My cousin has a raptor and when he first got it he ran 75.6 mph. Since then he has added a Curtis Sparks X-6 full exhaust system and a degree key, and when we race we are pretty even until he gets wide open, then I pull away and keep pulling until I let off the gas. I know for a fact that no body will believe this, but it is true. I mean I can barely believe it myself, especially since I still run stock sprockets and tires.

CoorsMan
08-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Its all good till u hit a ditch! Anyone have a top speed with a set of paddles on?