PDA

View Full Version : New here, need advice.

swampfoxsc
07-29-2003, 02:00 PM
I'm new to the whole sport atv thing, but I've been into mudriding on 4x4 atvs for years. I bought a used '99 400EX cheap and now I need to do some mods. I'm all out of money so a pipe and internal mods will have to wait. What I'm looking for are the mods that can be done to the stock pipe, carb and airbox. I've read that you can drill out the baffles in the pipe and remove the choke in the carb as well as cut some holes in the airbox. Any advice with these things? I'm aware of the rejetting and I can get an aftermarket high-flow filter.

I need some mods that won't be noticed by other riders for a little contest in 2 weeks. That's another reason I don't want to go with a pipe right now. I have some 4x4 riders to educate! A stock 400EX can beat any bigbore 4x4 including the Prairie 650 but you have to be a good rider. Those big 4x4s are faster than you think! There's one modded out P650 that may give me a little trouble. :ermm:

AtvMxRider
07-29-2003, 02:09 PM
Welcome.

jay's 300
07-29-2003, 02:18 PM
You can grind the welds down in the header (not sure on the power gain?) go w/ an aftermarket filter, remove the airbox lid (depending on the riding terrain, up to you) and rejet the carb. Should give a little more ummmph, but you'll have to rejet after you install a pipe. Maybe some more easy/ inexpensive mods. Good luck! :D

stonerider250x
07-29-2003, 02:45 PM
ive never really looked at a stock 400ex pipe but if its possiable u could take the spark arrester out out of the pipe a that will give u a power gain. But like i said im not sure if u can:confused: