PDA

View Full Version : 440 Starting?

MotoLappa
07-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Hello, I just bought a used 440. I love this thing. It is pretty quick for a quad. I am coming off two stroke bikes so quads and four strokes are pretty new to me. I am looking for some advice on starting routine. Step by step if you can please. Do big bore kits make these quads harder to start. I only got it sunday and rode it for an hour. I started it about 20 times sunday night and monday. I have had trouble starting it monday and today I killed the battery. I am thinking that the battery will not charge while at idle and I drained the battery starting it so many times without riding. Are these things hard to start all the time? What about during the winter? Any advice in starting rituals and advice would be appreciated

jerry-89-250R
07-30-2003, 01:17 AM
does it still have a choke? mine is real hard too start when it's cold outside "FCR-no choke", you have too use the throttle too crank it

JD400exrider
07-30-2003, 02:53 AM
Does it have a stock rev box or an after market rev box. An after market rev box will make it harder to start if the battery is not Fully Charged. A larger pilot jet should help also.

MotoLappa
07-30-2003, 02:13 PM
Yes it still has a choke. It has a WB rev box. I was thinking about jetting. I will take the pilot jett out and see what it is. The battery was low. I have it on the charger and will try tommorow. Thanks for replying.

AtvMxRider
07-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by MotoLappa
Yes it still has a choke. It has a WB rev box. I was thinking about jetting. I will take the pilot jett out and see what it is. The battery was low. I have it on the charger and will try tommorow. Thanks for replying.

I would put the stock CDI box back on it.

MotoLappa
07-30-2003, 02:30 PM
OK I got to ask. What Is so different on starting with a aftermarket box to a stock one. Why would the WB box make it harder to start?

mopar 400
07-30-2003, 05:01 PM
I've got a 440 with all the goodies. I'm running a sparks cdi box mine has trouble strating too . If the battery is not fully charged its hard to start. So what I do is put in the stock cdi box run it for 20 min or so then put your after market cdi box in an you well be fine an dandy..... But to answer your qustion why its hard to start I really dont know.....

Dune Surfer
07-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by MotoLappa
OK I got to ask. What Is so different on starting with a aftermarket box to a stock one. Why would the WB box make it harder to start?

trust us, put a stock cdi back in and it will start right up. Many people have a starting problem with the white brothers. Start it in the mornings and then you can put the wb cdi back in.

jgfarmsracer
07-30-2003, 05:50 PM
you all must be drunk, i have a 440,12.5 to 1 piston with a sparks box and it starts faster than my complete stock 400

mopar 400
07-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by jgfarmsracer
you all must be drunk, i have a 440,12.5 to 1 piston with a sparks box and it starts faster than my complete stock 400 What cam are you running . I bet its not a hot cam..

jgfarmsracer
07-31-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by mopar 400
What cam are you running . I bet its not a hot cam..

Sparks x-6 full race cam