PDA

View Full Version : my 416ex port and polish work

speedy400
07-29-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm in the process of finishing up my 416 je 11:1 comp,hotcam stage2,port and polish work.It should be all finished up this sat.(started last friday). For the cleaning up of the head I just used a dremmle with a wire spinning tool for the porting on the exhaust and intake I used a dremmel with 4 sanding dowels, also a shout out to YZROOSTINYA and Steve-o 400ex for helping me out. Pics- http://community.webshots.com/user/speedy400 -darren:devil:

speedy400
07-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Also for polishing on the exhaust I just used a few emery cloths.-darren

pnut420
07-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Did you know where to open it up at or did you just decide to grind it out bigger? Bigger isnt always better, its the flow that counts.

speedy400
07-29-2003, 03:11 PM
yep I did. I made the curves a little more strait to the valves I made took out the casting problems/nubs, and made the bridge in the intake a lot more like a knifes edge and not so rounded.BTW I ported my banshee last year, so that expiriance helped a little bit.-darren

Chanman420q
07-29-2003, 06:21 PM
well hows the power? gain? lose?

Martin Blair
07-29-2003, 06:42 PM
you fed your intake up man, your intake is sposed to be ruff to keep the fuel from just sticking to the walls, your goings to be sorry.

07-29-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
you fed your intake up man, your intake is sposed to be ruff to keep the fuel from just sticking to the walls, your goings to be sorry.

Your correct that you dont want a fully polished intake runner but the one in the pic seemed pretty rough.
;)

Looks like he just poked around with the dremel and shouldnt do too much good or bad.

pnut420
07-30-2003, 05:05 AM
I think dremeling to port a head is crazy, I hope it works out good for you, those guys have put hours into flow testing, etc... I know plenty of people that port heads and dont gain anything. Alot of the times the intake doesnt need opened up that much (as with most heads) and the exhaust side always needs to be opened up a good amount.

07-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by pnut420
I think dremeling to port a head is crazy, I hope it works out good for you, those guys have put hours into flow testing, etc... I know plenty of people that port heads and dont gain anything. Alot of the times the intake doesnt need opened up that much (as with most heads) and the exhaust side always needs to be opened up a good amount.

I agree with this but must add a couple things.

Most of the "flow" work or testing is for the initial learning curve or R&D for how the engine responds to different amounts of flow and how changes in the ports affect both. Though I dont sit behind every machinist while the porting is done I have talked with enough people to know that not every job sees the flow bench or is ported the same.

Remember that what most members would be looking at doing isnt a full port and polish anyhow, and though I would recomend send it out to a professional if you need perfect results (and be carefull who you send it too) this is not in everyones budget. Professional porting and polishing can run over 500.00 and some just dont have it.

Now if we agree that the people who are going to pull out the dremmel anyway should have some basic knowledge and accept that they should not even think of more than a clean up then maybe there will be some good info intriduced into this thread.

I have seen some decent results myself from just a basic clean up and some little extras, but I have ported some on v8 chevys before and wasnt taking this on totally blind. The problem was gaining the knowledge that the experts had worked to gain thru all the testing etc and to accept that it wouldnt be a full pro job but rather just a clean up. Guess what maybe I got lucky but it worked out rather well, and yes I am happy with the results.

Now its also simple for someone to mess this up and end up with a useless head or worse performance.

There is even a web site I had visitited once that discussed how smaller ports can work better than larger ones on a normally aspirated engine. Interesting how this contradicts the normal thinking. BTW he had race win results posted to prove his theory.

So if your going to attempt to try this know up front you can do damage and try to get as much info before hand as you can.

dariusld
07-30-2003, 06:53 AM
Nothing personal, but I can't tell nothing from those bad pictures.