PDA

View Full Version : Elkas

Duncanracer
07-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Hey I just bought a full set of Elka triple rates(compression and rebound adj.) and rear dual rate (compression and reb adj.) shocks, and I was wondering how easy it is to make adjustments (i.e. reb and compression,sag etc..) Because I am going to get them ight before a race and am going to barely have enough time to break them in, also do they come with a manual or something to say how to adjust everything? oh and this is for my 88 250r

Black400
07-29-2003, 08:45 AM
ya they come with a booklet. and they are pretty easy to adjust.:bandit:

forum
07-29-2003, 12:44 PM
to get them properly setup you need a full day of riding and a knowledge of suspension. But I would run them fully open for your first race. and don't ever change your spring rates yourself unless you realy know what your doing becuase as soon as you change your spring rates it directly effects your compression and rebound . basically run them full open for a good hour or so to break them in. and longer if you also have new a arms. After that decide if there to hard. THe best thing to do is ride someone elses bike to see. its hard to judge ounce your used to somthing. If there to hard. then they need to be sent back to elka to be resprung ect. If there basicaly perfect which they should be but a litle on the soft side. Ride the track as hard as you can and turn the knobs one or two klicks at a time till your just barely botoming on the hardest hit on the track. Then for your rear rebound.(don't really need to worry about front rebound) try to feel if the machine is bucking through ruff sections . If so turn it down a click. on the other hand if your flying through the ruff stuff and its geting realy rigid towards the end of the stretch then your rebound is too slow and its packing up. You basically want your rebound as fast as posible without bucking. YOur rebound should come from the factory pretty good. Thats what I do. And like i said the front rebound realy shouldn't be played with unless you really know what your doing.

Duncanracer
07-29-2003, 12:54 PM
I know basically how to shocks set up, i was just wondering hwo easy it is to get the elkas dialed in, because of time constraints before my first race....

cdalejef
07-29-2003, 03:07 PM
Have you read this thread? http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67032

Duncanracer
07-29-2003, 03:36 PM
no i ahvent, but my question in this thread was, is it easy to dial in elkas because of my time constraints right before the race..and someone answered that, but thanks for showing me that thread...